PDA

View Full Version : coppercoins.com hit the nail on the heads

silver1985
07-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Well finally, here is a pic of the second coin out of the bank roll of 1968-S Lincolns that was lost in my grandfathers vault for 46 years.
Looks like coppercoin.com hit the nail on the head (also!) in describing what I was going to find after opening it.
The first imgage below is a copy of their prediction.
The second image is the second coin out of the roll.
I took this image with a SAMSUNG 21x digital with six different (rotating) halogen lamp light positions around the coin. This is only one of the light positions used. Light position sure makes a difference on what shows up on the surface of the coin.
So, let me know if you are interested in more pics of this coin, or others in the roll as I prepare themhttp://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=101726&stc=1.

What do you think of the condition of this coin? Is there any hope for this roll?

GrumpyEd
07-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Probably most will be in the range of 62-63-64 and look similar to the one you posted.

silver1985
07-13-2015, 08:20 AM
Thanks for your comments, GrumpyEd! "a range of 62-63-64". Looks like finding an MS65 will be my goal, then.
The attached photo is two shots of the same coin that was the sixth out of the OBW roll of 1968-S cents.
The halogen light position was different for each of these two shots by about 90 degrees.
The bag marks (?) show up significantly differently in each shot.
I would appreciate everyones review on this coin, and comments on whether I'm getting any closer to a rating of a "1968-S LCF MS65 RD", as I progress with the analysis of the roll.

jfines69
07-13-2015, 02:49 PM
It could be the lighting playing tricks on my eyes but the 2nd set of pics the coin appears to have scratches and bag dings... I would think a MS60RD... I am no grading expert tho!!!