PDA

View Full Version : Special mint set grading

willbrooks
08-09-2015, 07:08 AM
Josh's thread on the 2009 proofs made me wonder about this question: How are the satin-finish 2009 cents graded? Is it MS or PR? Well, after a quick search I see they are actually coded "SP" with a number. So, that made me wonder about the special mint set cents from 1965-1967. I found an anacs-graded SMS cent with an "SP" designation and some NGC-graded SMS cents with an "MS" designation. That's interesting. (Don't worry, I am getting to a question eventually) I suppose that unless the sender of the coin tells the TPG that the coin is from an SMS, it would be very difficult to determine if it is an SMS cent, or just a nicely struck business-strike. Besides just the "specially polished dies," are there any diagnostics to tell the difference between an SMS cent and a nice business strike?

cranky
08-09-2015, 10:50 AM
All I have seen or read about of the satins have been graded Type 5 MS. A total of 20 Lincolns produced for the year with 8 Business 8 satin and 4 Proof.

edit by Will: I hope you don't mind, but I edited your post so it says satin and not Satan.

jfines69
08-09-2015, 02:59 PM
Ok church lady :LOL_Hair: (If you remember Saturday Nite Live)

rlm's cents
08-09-2015, 09:54 PM
Actually, I am not sure the TPG's knew what they were doing for the 2005 - 2011 satins.. Most of the ones I own are SP. However, several are graded MS and one is MS68SF.

As for the 65 - 67 I am pretty sure they determine whether the coin is SMS or business. I am not sure what, but there apparently are diagnostics to tell them apart. I do know they were struck with greater pressure than standard business and according to Lange, were "far superior" to the regular strikes. BTW, they have also graded some 64's SMS.

http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=102540&stc=1
http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=102541&stc=1

GrumpyEd
08-10-2015, 01:50 AM
I'm guessing but they probably go by markers for 1964. For other years it's probably based on how it looks to the graders and they call it satin or special unless they are sure otherwise because it's safer for them based on if they end up buying it.

Note the 2 probablies there :)