PDA

View Full Version : Camera Setup

styxman
08-26-2015, 12:02 AM
Having tripped over the leg of a coffee table last week, I got fed up with my coin photography setup. This consisted of my camera on a tripod, the camera aimed down towards the floor, with the corner of an old coffee table jammed between the legs of the tripod. I was barely able to get the corner of the table in the view finder where I placed my coins among lamps, notes and all kinds of junk. I had to prop the camera up with a towel to keep it aimed at the coin – which slipped all the time. I think you can get the “picture”. Enough.

Amazon to the rescue. I purchased a clamp (pictures attached) for $29.88 and attached it to a metal shelf post. (I had the shelf in my garage for a long time.) Which numismatist do you know who couldn’t use more shelf space? I sure needed the space. I just left a big gap between the shelves in the middle to serve as my camera platform. I truly tried to follow Ray Parkhurst idea of using a microscope stand to mount the camera – only I couldn’t find one that was within my budget.

At any rate, here is the Amazon link for the clamp as of 25 September 2015:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018LQVIA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++WAR NING++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

PLEASE NOTE: THE ATTACHMENT SCREW ON THE CLAMP IS TOO LONG FOR MY NIKON CAMERA. IF YOU TIGHTEN THE SCREW WITHOUT SOME WASHERS, IT MIGHT PUNCH THROUGH THE BASE OF YOUR CAMERA.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++WA RNING+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

Hope this is helpful to someone who is tripping over legs of a coffee table or killing their back bending over a tripod stand.

Over and out, styxman

ray_parkhurst
09-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Is that a 200mm Micro-Nikkor?

I like the clamp, looks like it works well.

styxman
09-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Ray,

Without a doubt, you really know your photography. You are absolutely correct - the lens is a 200mm Micro (or is it Macro?) Nikkor lens. Only it doesn't work well as the focusing motor seems to hang and has a bit of latency in switching between near and far. Also, the lens frequently does not respond to adjustments in change of focus while under computer control (Camera Control Pro 2 as well as ControlMyNikon) which makes stacking rather difficult. The images are sharp but would not recommend the lens for general use (very slow auto focus and poor depth of field) nor for Micro use. I had a whole bunch of lenses and several bodies – even back to the Nikon FTN, but all were stolen. The Nikon D7000 and the 200mm lens are all that I currently have.

May I ask you a question? I hope so as I am going to anyway. I would like to use my Nikon body to do some extreme close up stacked images. I am not aware of any really tight Nikkor lenses or other brand of lenses that fit the Nikon body that are auto-focus. As such, I believe the only other choice is to use a mechanical system like StackShot to generate the stack. My question is what lens system could I use with my Nikon body to obtain extreme close up images? Thanks so much for your thoughts!

By the way, the clamp works great. My back is truly grateful, and I gave the old coffee table to Goodwill.

Thanks again for all your help and advice. You have no idea how much I admire your work!

Over and out, styxman

ray_parkhurst
09-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks styxman! Sorry to hear your 200Micro is not working well. I have never tried to use mine for anything other than bugs and flowers so never noticed any issue.

For stacking, you have a couple options. You can go with an add-on to your 200Micro (use it as an infinite tube lens, fixed at infinity focus) or go with an objective on extensions or bellows. Either way works well, though my preference is the bellows since it gives more flexibility to change lenses for other magnifications or full-coin shots.

For the infinite method, you would just need an infinite microscope objective with the magnification you want to achieve. To figure that out you would take the width of the detail you want to image (in mm), and divide that into 24. For example, the date of a Lincoln Cent is about 4-1/2mm across, so you would need 5.33x to fill the screen, and would choose 5x (or maybe 4x) so you have a little room either side. You also need an adapter to mount the objective on the front of your 200Micro.

For the bellows method, you would need a bellows, a finite microscope objective of the same magnification as above, and adapters to mount camera and objective.

Either the 200Micro or the bellows would work the same way mounting onto the StackShot.

There is one other way but would require you to mount the camera to the stackshot. Instead of a bellows, you could use fixed extensions. You select the extensions needed for the correct magnification. You also would need adapters for the lens and possibly the camera. This is the cheapest way to go but forces you to fix the camera to the StackShot. To make setting magnification easier, one of the extensions can be a focusing helicoid.

So those are the 3 options for high quality imaging with the StackShot. Let me know any questions...

styxman
09-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Ray,

Thank you very much! I just ordered a StackShot so I can follow your suggestions. Is there a specific adapter that you use to hold the microscope objective, or do you modify a lens cap to hold the objective? Is there a minimum or maximum distance the objective lens cannot exceed from the front of the 200mm micro lens? I will order a bellow system for the Nikon – maybe find one on Ebay. Sorry for all the questions. I continue to strive to achieve your quality of photos! Thanks so much for all your assistance!

Over and out, styxman

ray_parkhurst
09-07-2015, 03:50 PM
You'd need a couple of adapters to mount the objective, all available on eBay. I think the 200Micro is 62mm, so you'd need a 62mm to 52mm step-down adapter, then a M52 to RMS adapter for the objective. Keep in mind the objective you need if you use the 200Micro is the infinite type, not the finite type. Do a search on eBay for "infinite objective" to see what's available. Distance between the objective and the 200Micro is not super critical, but you don't want excessive extension if you can help it.

styxman
09-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Thanks Ray! Yes, the 200mm Micro is 62mm - you really know your stuff!!!!!! I will get on Ebay and see what I can come up with. Once again - thanks for your advise and great inspiration!

Over and out, styxman

styxman
09-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Ray,

Was able to order all from Ebay - most coming from China. Don't hold your breath! Will keep you posted.

Thanks!

Over and out, styxman