PDA

View Full Version : Background color for your BU lincoln

eaxtellcoin
09-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Hi all,
I've been told by one person the green background looks more natural and another person say the grey looks more natural in color.
I'm just worried about what I see, "On my Monitor" compared to everyone else. I wish I could get a count on which is best from all of you! can someone put a counter on this thread with Green or Gray?
Thanks, Eric

kloccwork419
09-07-2015, 05:14 PM
To tell you the truth eric, they both look upside down, that just my opinion..lolol

but for real,they look pretty much the same

duece2seven
09-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Eric, look up seller "Hiddenshadowz" and "43steelhavenlane" on EBay. Same seller, different accounts. I always liked his backgrounds. He varies really well depending on the coin. I really like his pitted black backgrounds. Good food for thought at least.

If I had to pick between grey and green, I like a flat, duller green.

Tracy

willbrooks
09-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Eric, if you start a new thread, you can add a poll to it for people to vote in, but I cannot add a poll now that the thread has started. If you start a new thread with a poll, I can just merge this one with the new one. When you click "start new thread," page down a little bit until you see a button for adding a poll, then just follow the directions.

eaxtellcoin
09-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Thanks, Will... This evening has been very enlightening for me. The green background, "On my screen" looks somewhat light orange but more of a golden color. I went upstairs to my wife's Apple, had her log in, set up account, etc,etc. and looked at the pics when it finally came up. Guess what. Jason is correct. On her screen they look bright orange!!!!! I've been fooling around with this for a week, and it's my monitor!!!! We ALL may be having the same problems!!!!! It would be great if these computer companies made things close together but they do not. I really need some help finding a equilibrium that the pics look correct on the majority of computers, tablets, phones. Has anyone else noticed this??
Eric

I think I will take Will's advise and start a new thread BUT I will take 4-5 background shots and leave the lights the way they are. See witch background works best with the majority of monitors...

styxman
09-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Eric,

I like the gray background as it is less busy - more "concentration" on the coin.

By the way, you can adjust the color / contrast / sharpness of you monitor. Here is a link to Microsoft's method:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/calibrate-your-display

Hope this will help.

Over and out, styxman

kloccwork419
09-08-2015, 02:14 AM
I use a tv for my monitor.

jfines69
09-08-2015, 04:35 AM
I think the green would be better if it were darker and duller for the BU coins... But then I do have vision issues :LOL_Hair:

styxman
09-09-2015, 09:39 AM
I am not sure what type of TV you use, but if it has a color control function the Microsoft Monitor Adjustment tool should still work. The system gives you some color bars that you need to adjust so they are all gray by moving the color setting (usually Red Green and Blue) either up or down until the color disappears to a gray tone. I do tons of color work with TV, monitors, video, etc where color balance is critical (medical - ophthalmology) and have been able to adjust most everything that can access the internet and some type of control function. My hard part is to get monitor and printers on the same page. Not sure if this helps.

Over and out, styxman

ray_parkhurst
09-14-2015, 07:17 AM
Eric...did you get an answer on green vs gray? For the record, I shoot on black backgrounds that appear as various shades of gray when they are photographed. I'd like to shoot on a true absorptive black background but so far have not found one. Sometimes I shoot on smooth gaffers masking tape, but its texture isn't consistent. The moderator on CCF Coin subForum uses a black t-shirt, which seems to work well and gives a consistent texture. When trying for true color, I like to use an 18% gray background. This allows me to color match to a known accurate color in post processing if true color is needed for showing strong toning. And personally, I hate the green.

jcuve
09-14-2015, 09:49 AM
These cameras often use the totality of the scene to calibrate the image, and color juxtaposed to another color influences the way we see it (an aspect of color theory often used by Joseph Albers). That said, I would typically use either black or a neutral color unless you can be certain that: A) the color doesn't unreasonably influence the color of the coin sending it one direction or another, and B) you can use an image editor to make the color more natural when needed.