PDA

View Full Version : 35mm Macro Lenses

ray_parkhurst
10-03-2015, 08:50 AM
There are a couple of 35mm macro lenses available that are useful for coin photography. Their main use is for higher magnifications, from 2:1 up to perhaps 6:1. Because they have adjustable apertures, they can do a good job for variety detail shots without focus stacking.

The lenses I own in this category were both sold with the Polaroid MP3 or MP4 macro photography system. This was a large format system, so image quality over a large coverage area was required. This is a very different requirement versus microscope objectives, which were really only required to be sharp at the centers where live viewing was done. It is actually rare to find a microscope objective that has wide coverage and flat field.

The lenses are:
- Rodenstock 35mm f4 Eurygon
- Tomioka 35mm f4 Tominon

The lenses are small, like enlarger lenses, but because they are macro lenses, they do not need to be mounted in reverse. The MP3/MP4 systems were intended for use with large format lenses, so are threaded M40 x 0.75mm to mount into Copal-0 shutters. This means they need an M40 to M42 adapter for use with common bellows.

I get about the same image quality from either of the lenses. At around 5:1 on APS-C, with f5.6, here are the images:

Eurygon
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad273/rparkhurst/IMG_0014_A_A.jpg

Tominon
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad273/rparkhurst/IMG_0016_A_A.jpg

The sharpness is obviously not as good as a focus-stacked image taken with an M5 or similar objective, but was simpler to take since this is a single image, no stacking required. For many folks this would be good enough, even for variety identification. This coin has a very minor split lower serif, and it shows well at this magnification.

JC Stevens
10-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Thanks Ray!!

jfines69
10-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Thanks Ray!!!

VAB2013
10-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Wow! Super Nice photos! But Ray... all of this camera talk is wayyyy over my head :(

ray_parkhurst
10-03-2015, 04:15 PM
Yeah, there is a lot to learn. Being manual, most coin photo setups require a fair amount of knowledge to operate them. Good control and editing software (which is free with Canon cameras) helps a lot but you have to get all the settings right, and then the lighting. Lighting is actually 90% of the work. All the talk about the pure photography details are simple compared with getting the lighting right!

stoneman227
10-04-2015, 06:47 AM
The Tominon is what I use for my detail shots, it is a nice little lense.

John