PDA

View Full Version : Why does this look LDS on Obverse and EDS on Reverse? 1983P

VAB2013
10-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Were dies swapped out at different times? I am trying to sound educated here LOL... front looks old back looks new ;)

onecent1909
10-10-2015, 07:21 PM
What makes you think the front looks old?

I have observed that a lot of 1983 dies clashed.
so you see a lot of them with polish lines obverse and reverse.
also with these clashes a lot of the reverses have die cracks at 1 or more of the corners of the memorial building
If the reverse die cracks cause the die to fail, it would be replaced making a possible lds obverse with a eds reverse.
or if the clash damaged the reverse is to much for it to continue being used...
this is what happened to the 1922 plain strong reverse

So yes this is a possibility
But unless I am missing something I do not see it with yours

VAB2013
10-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Thank you very much for this explanation. To me the reverse looks much more EDS than the obverse, just odd like they don't go together.

GrumpyEd
10-11-2015, 03:32 AM
The other thing is that obverse and reverse dies are not always in the same die state.
They can re-use one if the other is bad or needed work so you can find an older die paired up with a new die.

There are many varieties where they are known and listed paired with different other dies.

jfines69
10-11-2015, 04:29 AM
Dies will be changed for what ever reason the mints decide (I think they do it just to mess with coin collectors :LOL_Hair:)... A good example is the 1972 Die 4 (If memory serves me correct)... The rev die with the markers was paired with a different obv die... There was some discussion on the forum 2 or so years ago about some of the 1972 non DDO with die 4 rev!!!

VAB2013
10-11-2015, 04:43 AM
Had to toss a coin for the best answer, they are all very good. Thanks everyone for helping!

GrumpyEd
10-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Jim,

Yes, the 72 die 4 is a good example.
It gave me a laugh because people on ebay sometimes list 72-P cents with that reverse die after the obv (with DDO die 4 was removed) and imply and list it like they're selling a 72 die 4 and all the reverse die markers prove it and the listings back it up. But their coins don't have the obv die 4 with the doubling.

In a way it's still neat for a collection but no way is it worth anything like the price of the coin with the die 4 obv. I mean I'd want one in a flip if I found it for a cent but it's in no way an example of the doubled die.

Since we know of these coins with swapped out dies among varieties just imagine how many non variety coins get dies swapped out and nobody will notice because they are normal coins and nobody is tracking the states and dies used. That is the reason it's likely that lots of coins with non matching obv/rev die states exist.

Great example that you brought up Jim :)

VAB2013
10-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Thank you GrumpyEd, you guys have got it going on! The amount of knowledge here is incredible!

trails
10-13-2015, 06:26 AM
If you look at the 1960-D small date Lincoln cent, they changed dies as often as five, two month old babies need their diapers changed.

BJ

VAB2013
10-13-2015, 03:08 PM
If you look at the 1960-D small date Lincoln cent, they changed dies as often as five, two month old babies need their diapers changed.

BJ

Good thing you are referencing a 1960D SD because I have never personally seen a 1960 SD. I will look at this because I want to see if I can tell the differences between dies. I am curious like that, thank you for pointing this out. LOL... now that's a lot of diapers :)

jfines69
10-14-2015, 04:14 AM
Check this link out http://www.lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/smalldates.html I look at this any time I find a 60 or 74

VAB2013
10-14-2015, 05:18 AM
Thank you Jim! I just saved those pics on my laptop for faster reference :)