PDA

View Full Version : Major Grease Job?

joel
11-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Is this Lincoln distortion a major grease job? Thanks for your help.

onecent1909
11-15-2015, 01:28 PM
grease or die adjustment strike.... I have never seen a grease that bad and I have never seen a die adjustment in hand

mrmike916
11-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Gotta be grease going down into the memorial building like that, but then again, I've never heard of a die adjustment strike. Either way, I like it!

VAB2013
11-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Congrats on another cool find Larry J! That is a major greaser! I'm still in awe over your 1984 Doubled Die Ear!! You are on a roll again bud!

Historyhound
11-15-2015, 05:59 PM
My vote is that it's not grease. I'd say weak and/or adjustment strike, also.

enamel7
11-15-2015, 07:47 PM
With the lack of sharpness on the rims I'm not sure what to think. Magnified the fields to me show a lot of abuse.

jfines69
11-16-2015, 04:45 AM
Nice find... If you could measure the thickness and diameter that may tell us a little more... I'm leaning more toward a strike thru grease... But then again I lean one way or the other anyway :LOL_Hair:

joel
11-16-2015, 06:40 AM
Nice find... If you could measure the thickness and diameter that may tell us a little more... I'm leaning more toward a strike thru grease... But then again I lean one way or the other anyway :LOL_Hair:
Jim, I will have to see if I can find a caliper. I will get back to you. Thanks

1jackel1
11-16-2015, 12:58 PM
To be honest this coin is nice but like others have said, this coin could be a nice rub job as well but I am hoping for a strike through grease and if it is, it is an awesome one at that.

George

jfines69
11-16-2015, 02:32 PM
Jim, I will have to see if I can find a caliper. I will get back to you. Thanks
Larry,
No need to rush... It would just be a nice to know... Did you check the weight???

joel
11-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Larry,
No need to rush... It would just be a nice to know... Did you check the weight???
Jim, The weight is 3.06 grams. This is a little lighter than the 3.11 grams that is normal. I'm working on the caliper. Thanks for your interest and the need for details that I hadn't thought of. Larry

joel
11-16-2015, 03:05 PM
To be honest this coin is nice but like others have said, this coin could be a nice rub job as well but I am hoping for a strike through grease and if it is, it is an awesome one at that.

George
George, By rub job do you mean PSD that was done by someone to make the coin look this way?

jfines69
11-17-2015, 04:38 AM
Yes that is what George is refering to... However I do not think it is a rub job... The rims on both sides should not be as high with the amount of missing detail... If you have seen a dryer coin the rims are worn away as much as the devices if not more so as shown in the glossary http://www.lincolncentforum.com/terminology-list-d/ The weight I believe is within tolerance for the mint!!!

joel
11-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Jim, I got a caliper and the measurements are: diameter is 18.93 mm and the thickness at the center is 1.48 mm. Here are the standards according to Wikipedi (https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=thickness+of+a+penny)a. Seems to be normal. Correct? Remember the weight of my Lincoln was 3.06 grams which was a little lighter than the standard 3.11 grams. What do you think these specs tell us, if anything, about this Lincoln I found? Thanks, Larry

jfines69
11-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Jim, I got a caliper and the measurements are: diameter is 18.93 mm and the thickness at the center is 1.48 mm. Here are the standards according to Wikipedi (https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=thickness+of+a+penny)a. Seems to be normal. Correct? Remember the weight of my Lincoln was 3.06 grams which was a little lighter than the standard 3.11 grams. What do you think these specs tell us, if anything, about this Lincoln I found? Thanks, Larry
If it had been thicker than 1.52mm I would have thought a weak strike especially with the diameter being short and the weight being light (Just an assumption on my part)... I believe you are correct on the major grease strike even tho I do not see the normal flow lines (For lack of a better term) when the grease gets splattered... They have most likely been worn away!!!

joel
11-25-2015, 02:55 PM
If it had been thicker than 1.52mm I would have thought a weak strike especially with the diameter being short and the weight being light (Just an assumption on my part)... I believe you are correct on the major grease strike even tho I do not see the normal flow lines (For lack of a better term) when the grease gets splattered... They have most likely been worn away!!!
Jim, Thank you for your interest, experience and time. Larry
PS I bought a very nice digital caliper with a case at Menards on sale this week for only $10! It worked great! If you need anything else measured let me know. I am now fully calipered!

jfines69
11-26-2015, 04:21 AM
Jim, Thank you for your interest, experience and time. Larry
PS I bought a very nice digital caliper with a case at Menards on sale this week for only $10! It worked great! If you need anything else measured let me know. I am now fully calipered!
Digital caliper for 10... That is a good price... I have a dial caliper in 1/1000 intervals and no milimeters... Think I will check out Menards... Thanks Larry!!!

joel
11-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Digital caliper for 10... That is a good price... I have a dial caliper in 1/1000 intervals and no milimeters... Think I will check out Menards... Thanks Larry!!!
Jim, The caliper is in Menards Christmas Catalog on page 13. The sale is good through Dec. 6th. Larry

jfines69
11-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Jim, The caliper is in Menards Christmas Catalog on page 13. The sale is good through Dec. 6th. Larry
Thanks Larry!!!