PDA

View Full Version : [Tip] How to determine mint mark position for an RPM

eaxtellcoin
12-28-2015, 05:13 PM
I thought, tonight; I would take a few pics and try to help the LCR members with RPM placement and how to determine if an RPM is listed.

second pic, I present is a Possible 1973-D RPM Cent with a tail and curve to the EAST = see small arrow. To someone learning about RPM's they may see an East, with a very light lower serif and with references; believe this coin is Coneca's RPM#3. Looks close to the same type of mintmark and the curve is shorter but is still there. May be Die State affecting the curve. So here is the picture: See the second picture...

The First thing we need to attribute a variety is to draw an arrow ^ verticle up the spine of the Mintmark, then we need to draw a shooting arrow across the top of the mintmark horizontally <- to see where it lies in comparison to the 9 of the date. ( Esp Important for 60-D RPM's), the last is to check the placement of the curve ) ^ of the mintmark with the rest of the date.

Now that I have you interested. The coin I pictured as #2 I needed to check because I know Coneca has a listing as RPM#3 EAST. Just so happens I also discovered the coin, RPM#3 so I have a copy coin #1 - so I can show you the coins side by side and you will see why mintmark placement tells me the coin #2 is NOT RPM#3, it is something different.

When attributing varieties remember to check placement - the coin may look like a known variety but without the correct placement and then marker's it probably is not the coin you may think it is...

jfines69
12-29-2015, 04:32 AM
Nicely done!!!