PDA

View Full Version : 1988P Fake Ear?

joel
01-21-2016, 01:09 PM
How can I tell if this is PSD, someone's handy work or something else. The second ear part is lower than the main ear. I think someone chiseled off part of the ear to make it look like a second ear lobe. Your help is appreciated.

kloccwork419
01-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Looks like a hit below the ear.

Maineman750
01-21-2016, 02:28 PM
If you are talking about the place where I have an arrow, that is a hit. It is a pretty common area for hits believe it or not. The giveaway is that the ear is the normal size even when you include that area.http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106430&stc=1

jfines69
01-21-2016, 02:41 PM
I also see a lot of abrasions in the fields and what looks like a couple close to the ear... I think it is a combo of hits on the coin and some die dings???

willbrooks
01-21-2016, 04:52 PM
I completely agree with Roger, but I'll hang myself a noose and proffer a new thought here. A contact mark or circulation hit would rarely result in a curved line which follows a contour of the ear, like yours does, and like so many others we have seen. As Roger points out, the overall size of the ear is normal, but I see many of these "contoured" hits. I can only think that the "hit" we are seeing on many of these is the result of an ejection ding. Yes, I am calling it MD. Let the ridicule begin. :kiss:

Maineman750
01-21-2016, 04:59 PM
. Yes, I am calling it MD. Let the ridicule begin. :kiss:

Not a bad theory Will...it doesn't quite match the contour of the earlobe, and there may be an explanation for that.But.... I like the idea because it explains why there are so many.....but it is a hit from something :)

willbrooks
01-21-2016, 05:03 PM
Not a bad theory Will...it doesn't quite match the contour of the earlobe, and there may be an explanation for that.But.... I like the idea because it explains why there are so many.....but it is a hit from something :)

It matches the upper lobe contour, not the lower lobe. Oh, crap, now I opened a can of worms. I'm just gonna go play poker now....

But yes, it is a hit from something. NO argument there.

jfines69
01-22-2016, 04:34 AM
It matches the upper lobe contour, not the lower lobe. Oh, crap, now I opened a can of worms. I'm just gonna go play poker now....

But yes, it is a hit from something. NO argument there.
Maybe one of the worms hit it with the lid from the can at the mint :LOL_Hair: