PDA

View Full Version : To Slab or not to Slab this 1912-S cent?

dabrin
02-18-2016, 10:28 PM
I would appreciate anyone's opinion on whether I should slab this 1912-S cent. The reverse has a fairly large "stain" and the tone of the coin is very dark - do you think either of these will cause it to be not graded (genuine, questionable color, etc? Also, I've personally graded it AU-55 and would appreciate hearing what others think of the grade. See attached pic.
Thanks in advance for any reply's, David

jfines69
02-19-2016, 04:29 AM
That is a nice looking coin... I think you are correct on grade... Not sure about the slabbing???

Magers
02-19-2016, 07:20 AM
I personally wouldn't send it in. That stain is going to be called environmental damage by a TPG. I've learned that lesson the hard way. I think your grade is pretty spot on, still a nice coin.

Roller
02-19-2016, 08:17 AM
I personally wouldn't send it in. That stain is going to be called environmental damage by a TPG. I've learned that lesson the hard way. I think your grade is pretty spot on, still a nice coin.
Though I have very little experience in having coins graded I agree. I set myself perimeters for slabbing anyway. In my mind a coin needs to be worth at least $100 on ready market for me to spend the appr. $20 to have it slabbed Allowing the exception that if I really like the coin and intend to keep it and want to preserve it I may go outside the perimeter.

dabrin
02-19-2016, 08:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will not send it in.