PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

cworley
02-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Today I was searching some OBW 1973D rolls when I started coming across a couple coins that had this mark on it. I'm not sure what to make of it,Maybe a clash? I just thought I should take a pic and send it to the forum for opinions. There were several of these out of the roll,this one being the most prominent. I thought it looked like a D.

SuddenAdoration
02-26-2016, 10:30 PM
It does look like a D! My guess would be a chip... but I am probably wrong.

jfines69
02-27-2016, 04:35 AM
With the heavy abrasion in that area I would think die damage or even a clash remnant... It does appear to be a D in the last pic which is cool looking but I do not think it actually is???

willbrooks
02-27-2016, 05:50 AM
It is the wrong size to be a mintmark, or a clashed D (which would be incuse anyway, not raised). But it seems there was some sort of unknown die damage that was heavily polished in a attempt to remove. Interesting coin, and good eye.

cworley
02-27-2016, 07:19 AM
The light hit the coin just right. The rolls I got we're OBW, but at a discount because of ENV. damage. So I thought"Hmmmm... Who knows what I'll find'?. I love this forum,I have so much stuff to show everyone, it's awesome to get feedback and good opinions.

mustbebob
02-27-2016, 11:11 AM
The area that looks like a D is actually the pointed base of the jacket that was not abraded away like the area immediately above it. If you follow the lines they will match with the bust perfectly.

willbrooks
02-27-2016, 03:46 PM
My answer was erroneously chosen as best answer. I have reset the answer and chosen the correct answer. Holy moly. It is obvious now. I have a tendency to focus on the seashell while ignoring the sea in front of me. Thank you Bob! Now I know why John is always asking for full coin shots. lol. The jacket is completely abraded away above and to the west. It took me ten minutes of staring to find the "d" in the first place, so I was just so happy to find it, I lost perspective. I admire the ability to see things globally, because I often get lost in sequentiality. I am lacking in that area. I can see all of the trees, but often not the forest! Anyway, I agree with Bob!

onecent1909
02-27-2016, 04:19 PM
Now I know why John is always asking for full coin shots. lol.

The information is always best seen in its entirety and up close at the same time

mustbebob
02-28-2016, 11:43 AM
It is obvious now. I have a tendency to focus on the seashell while ignoring the sea in front of me. Thank you Bob!

You are very welcome Will. This is another reason why the forum is such a great place. We get to figure stuff like this out!