PDA

View Full Version : Raw image with axial lighting

Roller
03-05-2016, 06:58 AM
Ray or others: Have you posted a raw (not shopped or enhanced) image taken with the axial set up? If yes, I cant locate it and would like to see one to judge what I'm striving for. The first of the attached images is raw the second "shopped". The raw shot has a haze over it and despite my efforts appears out of focus, the second is very stark and shows a BU coin as if stained. Do you get a "haze" over your raw shot? Thanks.

stoneman227
03-05-2016, 08:57 AM
I am thinking about trying this so I don't have the images to share but question to you.
Do you see the haze through the viewfinder as you take the shot.
Also , try a shot with the lighting as you have it with the raw shot above then without refocusing or moving the axle glass , change your lighting to a more traditional scheme, just lighting the coin and avoiding any light hitting the glass and take a second shot. If you loose the haze and the focus is sharper on the scond shot then the issue would seem to be the type of glass you are using. You may be seeing the results of your glass internally refracting your light source.

John

ray_parkhurst
03-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Getting rid of that haze is a major part of the axial setup. The haze comes from light on the camera side of the half-mirror reflecting up to the lens. This light can come from the ambient environment, or from light that passes through the mirror (50% of the light does this!) and then reflects off surfaces behind the mirror. The key in axial setups to getting rid of this haze is to eliminate all light from hitting the camera side of the mirror.

stoneman227
03-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Ha ! Goes to show I overthink my guesses! Thanks Ray !

jfines69
03-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Ha ! Goes to show I overthink my guesses! Thanks Ray !
I think you said the same thing but took the long way to get there :LOL_Hair:

Roller
03-07-2016, 07:50 AM
For those who are playing with this set-up, let me tell you that changing the angle of the reflective glass (keeping light source constant) will give you an amazing array of resolution and hew/color options to choose from and will provide an angle that eliminates the "hazing". Don't know why it took me so long to try that.

silver1985
05-23-2016, 06:31 AM
Ray or others: Have you posted a raw (not shopped or enhanced) image taken with the axial set up? If yes, I cant locate it and would like to see one to judge what I'm striving for.

I was wondering why you are referring to the first image posted here as a "raw" image.

Roller
05-23-2016, 06:51 AM
I was wondering why you are referring to the first image posted here as a "raw" image.
It is taken directly off the memory card without augmentation with photo shop or other tools. I have ,since, greatly improved the raw results, in part by adjusting the shield angle and increasing the light intensity.

silver1985
05-23-2016, 07:19 AM
It is taken directly off the memory card without augmentation with photo shop or other tools. I have ,since, greatly improved the raw results, in part by adjusting the shield angle and increasing the light intensity.

Can you check to see what the file size was on your camera "RAW" extension file?

Your file extension for the photo on this website is listed as being a "JPG" file.

styxman
05-29-2016, 02:14 AM
Roller,

Attached are two raw images taken using axial lighting. I also had the glare you showed in your 72raw.jpg image. I found that I could reduce the glare by changing the angle of my glass by 90 degrees. This is difficult to explain, but if the light from your source strikes the “top” surface of the glass first, then the light is reflected up into the camera. If the light from the source strikes the “bottom” surface of the glass first, then more of the light is reflected down towards the coin. Attached are two drawings to help demonstrate what I am trying to say. I am not sure how you have your glass set, but this might help.

Parts of the image “72 ddo q obv.jpg” are out of focus. It looks like the IN GOD WE and LIBERTY are OK, but Lincoln and the date are out of focus. This might be a slight tilt which you can correct with a shim or leveling. On the other hand, if your coin / camera is level, then you might increase your exposure time and close the lens aperture (increase f stop) to improve your depth of field. This might help with the focus.

Keep at it!