PDA

View Full Version : 1926-P with a reverse lamination before strike error?

retiredcopper
03-07-2016, 09:06 AM
http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108014&stc=1http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108015&stc=1Found this penny today while roll searching. I believe it's called a lamination before strike error. Any thoughts?

Roller
03-07-2016, 09:19 AM
I don't think so. If that much metal was missing before strike, I would expect to see a weakening of the devices directly opposite on the obverse. It may be a struck through though I doubt that too because the devices are visible in the depression and the area directly opposite, on the obverse, shows an outline of the depression. Without more than the present images I would say PSD.

Roller
03-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Let me correct the prior post by saying that the outline of the depression does not appear to show on the obverse. (I was looking at the wrong side of the obverse LOL.) given that, I lean toward a lam peel after strike.

jfines69
03-07-2016, 02:34 PM
I agree with laminations... The rev may have been kicked off due to a hit... There appears to be a ding next to the O in ONE and it appears that is just at the north end of that lam... There also appears to be another lam going on from the P of EPU to the stalk... The obv just east of Abe also appears to have a lam going... Nice find!!!

retiredcopper
03-08-2016, 02:42 AM
Thank you for your knowledge, it is greatly appreciated.

stoneman227
03-11-2016, 02:51 AM
Your coin is most certainly a lamination, but it laminated after the strike not before. The muted design details shown in the laminated area are formed by the lamination striations themselves which is the telltale sign that the lam popped off after the strike .
Here is a pic of a coin in my collection that shows it before and after the lamination occurred. You can see the muted , striated effect I am talking about in this coin.

John

retiredcopper
03-11-2016, 03:43 AM
Beautiful coin. Thanks for posting it so I could see it.
Mark