PDA

View Full Version : 1992D Close AM?

Calledtobefree
03-14-2016, 10:09 PM
Hello: I found something that doesn't make cents (pun intended). I was checking a 92D to see if the "AM" in "America" were close together, which would be an error because they were spaced apart that year. I had read that the way to tell was to look at the bottom right side of the "A" and bottom left side of the "M" and if they were touching it was a close "AR"

I discovered that they were pretty close but maybe not that close, but the letters "FG" on the SE corner of the Lincoln memorial were close to the memorial, which I had read only happens when it's a "close AR" . Is this correct and do I indeed have a 92D with a "close AR"?

Calledtobefree
03-14-2016, 10:18 PM
Oops, I mean to say close "AM" not "close AR".

grnwavdav
03-14-2016, 10:23 PM
You have a Wide AM there. The A and M are too far apart. Also, the shape of the G in the FG initials can be a good diagnostic tool too.
Here's a good resource (if you haven't seen it already): http://lincolncentresource.com/wideams.html

Also, the correct term would be a transitional design variety. Keep looking though! Don't give up.

enamel7
03-14-2016, 11:34 PM
Yours aren't touching. It's a wide am. Also just for knowledge sake, it wouldn't be an error, it would be a variety.

stoneman227
03-15-2016, 03:44 AM
These dies can become worn from use and being dressed down to remove clashes and cracks. The result can often be a bit of space between the A and M on the buisness strike reverse. The method I use is to see if the M is centered between the A and E. If so then it is a WAM . If the M is off center to the left then it is a CLAM. Yours is a WAM which is normal for the date.

John

onecent1909
03-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Stoneman has it right. close AM and Wide AM both have some space between the A and the M
I first look at the M centered or not
IF the M is centered between the A and the E it is a Wide AM (WAM)
IF the M is closer to the A than the E it is a Close AM (CLAM)
If the FG is close to the memorial it is a WAM
If the FG is away from the building it is a CLAM

stoneman227
03-15-2016, 05:23 PM
There is another pick up point for a Wide AM that isn't often mentioned . The A in STATES will be perfectly centered between the two T's on a WAM . On a CLAM it will be ever so slightly to the right of center of the T's.

John