PDA

View Full Version : This has got to be a 1983D with an RPM...!

Calledtobefree
03-20-2016, 08:27 PM
please tell me I'm correct... From all the pics I've seen of these it just seems to my untrained eye that's what this is. It was pretty corroded so I used a pencil eraser to get rid of the corrosion. The second D appears to the right of the full D. It's definitely raised and follows the curve. Comments???.

grnwavdav
03-20-2016, 10:45 PM
Unfortunately, I believe the anomaly to the right of the mint mart is just a split in the copper plating. Those plating issues have tricked me so many times! Keep looking though! It is great that you keep posting pictures and questions. We are happy to help!

WxMan
03-20-2016, 11:12 PM
Keep searching. Keep taking pictures. Keep asking. Most importantly, don't get discouraged. It took me months to find my first Lincoln variety. You will eventually find one and then you will be hooked just like the rest of us.

jfines69
03-21-2016, 04:40 AM
It appears to be split plating and corrosion!!!

Calledtobefree
03-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Can you help me to understand the difference between a split plate and an RPM? What I'm seeing on the coin is a raised area to the east of the D which is curved and seems to follow the natural curve of the D, along with what seems to be an imprint inside the D which seems to correspond to the original shape. I know the corrosion is a problem but Ive managed to get rid of most #of it with a pencil eraser.

Wouldn't a split in the plating cause a recess in the coin rather than a rise?

mustbebob
03-21-2016, 01:58 PM
First of all, let me warn you AGAINST using a pencil eraser or anything else abrasive or chemical based to clean your coins. If it does turn out to be anything, you effectively ruin its value trying to clean it. We have very many posts here about the proper way to remove verdigris or other things from coins.

Split plating is an anomaly that follows the profile of the device next to it. In this case, the mintmark is affected. When the device is punched in too far, or at an angle on the die, it leaves a deeper than normal impression. When the die strikes the coin, the plating is reduced in thickness substantially. It is more prone to cracking or splitting, and it will do so just like your example shows. Your coin also appears to show the zinc core and this is another indicator that the plating has split.

If you press something into modeling clay, the area around it is raised, and that is what this anomaly is showing also. If follows the shape of whatever you pressed into it.

Please read up a bit on how dies are made and how mintmarks were punched.

jfines69
03-21-2016, 02:18 PM
To add on to Bobs info - Here is a link to Wexlers site http://doubleddie.com/58201.html lots of good info on how dies are made... When the coins are struck the machine uses 80 tons of pressure (If my memory is correct) and strikes at a rate of 12 pennies per second... Lots of pressure that caused all kinds of problems on the earlier plated Lincolns... Hope this helps a little!!!