PDA

View Full Version : Curious...again. Possible 1946 s/d? Input por favor!

Brooklynwynter
03-30-2016, 01:38 AM
I guess I just can't get enough of this place...and apparently I'm the only one since I don't see many posts but mine. Oopsie. Well stamp Newbie on my forehead and then give me your opinions on this 1946 s Abe.
Looks like an s over d, but y'all know I can see Abe with a nose ring...doesn't make it true. ;-) Any input is greatly appreciated and again...sorry for the pic! Gracias mi amigos!

duece2seven
03-30-2016, 07:32 AM
I think you might need to adjust your focus my friend.
Just a little too blurry to attribute.

jfines69
03-30-2016, 07:48 AM
One of my favorite words from our Glossary:

Pareidolia: The phenomenon where people see patterns or objects in otherwise random data. People often “see” extra design elements that aren’t really there in a coin’s damaged areas, plating blisters, stains, etc.

I think I see the nose ring :LOL_Hair:
The pic is to pixelated to tell!!!

ray_parkhurst
03-30-2016, 09:02 AM
Are you thinking it is the "known" S/D or do you see a D in another position on the coin?

Brooklynwynter
03-30-2016, 12:12 PM
I definitely need to buy a new camera. Sorry guys, the photo is awful. When I was looking through the lens at this coin it caught my eye since it wasn't just the usual "s". I didn't know about the s/d variety until I Googled it. The pics come out so grainy and blurry but when I'm looking at it under the microscope it does seem to maybe have a "d" under the "s". BUT, like I said I am new to this so your opinions are valuable. I will try to get a better pic but seems like maybe it's just deterioration or wishful thinking. ;-) Thank you all for your evals! Much appreciated!

WxMan
03-30-2016, 12:42 PM
WalMart sells a macro lens you can clip to your smartphone that works pretty good. That's what I use for my pictures and it's only $10.

Brooklynwynter
03-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Thanks, I think I will get one asap! Awesome. Here is the best I can get with what I have. Sorry. But it shows kind of what I thought I saw of my phantom "d". But I think my myth has been busted on this one. So off to the hunt! Lol108815

mrmike916
03-30-2016, 01:22 PM
I may have pareidolia, but I think I actually see what your seeing! But, I don't think its it. Right off the bat the mint mark looks too close to the 9, and it also looks like the wrong mint mark style. Look at where the S/D is placed, almost completely under the four. Also check out the different MM styles. Yours looks like a ball serif, and the S/D is just a serif.

1946 D/S placement
http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%201/1946SOMM001.htm

S mint mark styles
http://www.lincolncentresource.com/San_Fransisco_Mintmark_Styles.html

Brooklynwynter
03-30-2016, 02:23 PM
Lol Thank you! Nice to know I'm not completely crazy. ;-) You are right, so maybe it is just die deterioration. Pennies seem to be like us...the older they are and the more tossed around they get, the more they show their true age. Ya can't Polish pennies but thank God we get makeup!