PDA

View Full Version : 1957D with errors in date

Calledtobefree
04-11-2016, 07:53 PM
I found a 1957D penny with the exact same errors as one listed on coinscurrency, coin #1957d-312abc. Specifically, the 9 in the date and b in liberty are filled in and the 7 is shortened. Interesting to me that there r 2 pennies out there with the exact same errors, does that make the coin more valuable?

onecent1909
04-11-2016, 08:34 PM
All coins are made of a metal disk that was struck using a obverse die and a reverse die.
IF anything happens to those dies, all the coins that are struck after that moment look alike.
the filled in areas are where the dies broke
there are probably many, many coins that look like yours.
a filled in letter or even two filled in letters/numbers are a common error.
because they happen... a lot, there is little to no extra value added to this phenomenon.
sorry for the bad news, but they are neat to keep hold of.
John

jfines69
04-12-2016, 04:37 AM
Die chips... The chips will get larger if the die was used for an extended period of time after the initial chip formed... If memory serves me correctly the coins are struck with 80 tons of pressure and at a rate of 12 coins per second... Any weak areas in the material used to make the dies will begin to chip and/or crack... Sometimes when roll searching (Especially new unopened rolls) you can find a series of coins that shows the progression of the chips and cracks!!!