ed37
04-18-2016, 04:57 PM
The 2 doesn't look normal109486

DCW
04-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Photos way to blurry, but Im guessing its just a normal coin

enamel7
04-18-2016, 05:09 PM
Being that the 2 is exactly the same on every 1992, what you are seeing is either wear or some MD. You have to understand the date is engraved not punched on to the die.

onecent1909
04-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Looking at your pic.
that is a standard 1992 D cent

willbrooks
04-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Being that the 2 is exactly the same on every 1992, what you are seeing is either wear or some MD. You have to understand the date is engraved not punched on to the die.

Gilbert, your post needs some clarification about the engraving process. By 1992, there were no engraved digits at all. Digits were never engraved into working dies on Lincoln cents, but at one time some of them were engraved onto the master dies. I'll have to double check my notes, but I believe in 1990, when the mint mark became part of the master hub (and therefore, presumably the galvano itself) so was the entire date made into the galvano, and a new galvano with the entire date was made every year henceforth (until they stopped making galvanos and used computers only). There was no engraving of the date on the master die after that time. Prior to that time, the last digit, or two digits, or even 3 digits were engraved into the master die so that the master hub, which was made without those digits, could be re-used in subsequent years. I am working on a comprehensive reference for this, expanding on the work of BJ Neff, and Dr. Wexler. I just need to retire, so I can actually complete it! Sorry if it sounds like I am nit-picking, but I felt this was a very important note to make so as to not lead anyone astray.

To the OP. Ed, the only thing I see on your coin to the east of the 2 looks like die deterioration doubling (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/terminology-list-d/#Die%20Deterioration%20Doubling) or else possibly a plating disturbance. Very common.

enamel7
04-18-2016, 07:42 PM
You're correct Will! I should have been more clear. I was just trying to simplify the language for a new collector. Thanks for the additional info!

jfines69
04-19-2016, 04:34 AM
I agree with the others... A combo of MD and plating issues... There are some coins that all devices will have these problems!!!

willbrooks
04-19-2016, 05:12 PM
You're correct Will! I should have been more clear. I was just trying to simplify the language for a new collector. Thanks for the additional info!

Oh, I know you know. I just didn't want the OP to think the die that struck his 1992 was engraved. I'm anal that way.

enamel7
04-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Oh, I know you know. I just didn't want the OP to think the die that struck his 1992 was engraved. I'm anal that way.

I definitely can understand that! You know how I am about people calling them "pennies". Lol