PDA

View Full Version : CONECA 1946-S RPM-002 Question

centMD
04-20-2016, 02:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. It appears that for CONECA's 1946-s RPM-002 that Stage B and Stage C are different varieties altogether. I was thinking about emailing James Wiles but wanted to make sure that I'm correct in my assumption before sending him a message. This will also affect cross-references if true, which I will make sure to update the status of as appropriate.

Let me know your thoughts below.

http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%201/1946SRPM002.htm

Dan

P.S. Check the positioning of the "S" in regards to the "4" and Stage C appears to be further left.

jfines69
04-20-2016, 03:00 PM
That would be a good question to ask... I think it is related to extreme die abrasion between the 2 Stages... Comparing the outside and inside corners where the horizontal and angle bars of the 4 meet the MM appears to be in the correct position east and west... The upper outer half of the primary MM top loop appears to have been ground away... Also the die abrasion around LIBERTY while mostly gone in Stage C there are some remnants that appear to match!!!

jallengomez
04-20-2016, 03:26 PM
I think it's die abrasion. Both the 4 and the mm have been abraded thinner.

eaxtellcoin
04-20-2016, 04:47 PM
Dan,
I looked at his pictures 4 times. I think they are the same variety. The position looks correct to me and I think I can pick out a die scratch on the stage "B" that is also there on the stage "C" OBV coins.
remember the Stage B" earlier die state will be more crisp and show more detail. As the die wears and abrasion as mentioned before you will loose the separation of the mintmarks that turn into one fat mintmark except where it's separated. Basically from wear the appearance of the coins from the worn die change.

centMD
04-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Excellent answers all around. I think this was a good learning experience for me. It's easy to forget how drastically these dies can change throughout their lives. The thinning of the 4 is obvious now that it is mentioned and other points are appreciated as well. There are also a couple north-south die scratches on both stages that match as well. I will do my best to keep learning and hopefully add to the hobby as I can. Take care all.

Dan