PDA

View Full Version : 1986-D Die Detrioration or a DDO?

tomfiggy
04-24-2016, 08:22 AM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this. This coin is not listed anywhere so it's probably nothing. The date is interesting to me. It's possibly the color that makes it seem more like a ddo than deterioration. The date looks like a spread to the center but the first impression to the East is lighter. The doubling is not incuse though. I did no editing, or cropping. Maybe it's plating doubling. GOD certainly looks a little like my 1984-D DDO's. LI of LIBERTY look interesting too. Probably nothing but I've tossed coins in the past that I later found out were varieties. What are your thoughts?
I looked at Wexler's site again. It looks similar but not quite:
http://doubleddie.com/828970.html

mustbebob
04-24-2016, 10:25 AM
I can understand your uncertainty on this coin. The doubling does seem suspect. It is my opinion that this is MD, not a DDO. Notice that the mint mark has the same anomaly also. Interesting looking coin.

tomfiggy
04-24-2016, 11:13 AM
I can understand your uncertainty on this coin. The doubling does seem suspect. It is my opinion that this is MD, not a DDO. Notice that the mint mark has the same anomaly also. Interesting looking coin.
I did see that little separation line on the MM but is wasn't as pronounced as the date. I wanted to be sure since it is possible to have a DD with MD on the same coin. I really appreciate you guys. I am so fortunate to be able to get feedback from all the "penny gods" on here, and really appreciate all the work everyone has done attributing coins and the wonderful coin photography. With the toning of the coin the MD looks more like doubling than most MD coins I come across. If you look at it just right the tail of the 9, and the 6 makes it look pretty convincing. It looked good a 1:00 AM last night. haha.

jfines69
04-24-2016, 02:13 PM
Like Bob said there is some MD... I also see some heavy die flow lines all over the coin... Those are due to the die wear... Excellent coin to keep as a reference sample... Your pics look pretty good also!!!

mustbebob
04-24-2016, 02:19 PM
With the toning of the coin the MD looks more like doubling than most MD coins I come across. If you look at it just right the tail of the 9, and the 6 makes it look pretty convincing.

You are absolutely correct. This coin is not a cut and dry MD like you would normally see. I had to look at it for a bit before I made my determination. You are also correct in that MD and DD can exist on the same coin. However, there are other subtle differences on your coin also. The 986 of the date and the IB of LIBERTY are pretty convincing of MD. The digits/letters are thinner than what you would expect from true hub doubling. We also need to understand that regular circulation wear can alter the way MD, die deterioration and even true doubling is seen. Either way, I would hold onto this coin as a nice educational piece.

tomfiggy
04-24-2016, 07:48 PM
Thanks to all of you. It's an attractive coin. I'll keep it.