PDA

View Full Version : 1982D RPM?

dinkyblue
05-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Don't know if this is an RPM or not on this 1982d small date. Just thought I would post it and get some other views on it. Something is under the 2 in the date. Not sure if it is MD or not, doesn't look like your typical MD. However there is a split serif on the bottom left of the mint mark. Please have a look. Thanks.....................dinkyblue

jfines69
05-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Interesting... I see appears to be a bar and split and the line under the 2... I think Will, Bob or one of the other pros need to chime in... Also is this coin plated??? I can not tell for sure!!!

dinkyblue
05-22-2016, 06:39 PM
No plating, I think it is just the way the light hit's it on the obverse side. looks normal with the naked eye as far as color. I find it interesting that all the listing are large date 1982 d's. and this one is small date 1982d. Thanks for your help ......................Dan

jfines69
05-23-2016, 04:20 AM
If that is not plated do not loose it... According to what I have read there were no known 1982D Small Date Copper (Solid) cents minted http://www.lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/1982.html I have not found any reported either... Can you weigh the coin??? Just in case it happens to be a plated coin that has lasted this long!!!

dinkyblue
05-23-2016, 06:42 AM
wait, doesn't it have to be plated to have the copper color that it has? Looks perfectly normal to me. the weight is 2.5 g. I wish it was a non plated coin. My mistake, I read what I said "no plating" should have said yes plated, don't know what I was thinking. sorry about that. Sometimes the light hits the coin different. as in this case...........................Dan

jfines69
05-23-2016, 02:13 PM
wait, doesn't it have to be plated to have the copper color that it has? Looks perfectly normal to me. the weight is 2.5 g. I wish it was a non plated coin. My mistake, I read what I said "no plating" should have said yes plated, don't know what I was thinking. sorry about that. Sometimes the light hits the coin different. as in this case...........................Dan
No problem... I was going to get real excited if it weighed in near 3 grams :LOL_Hair: Not as excited as you would have gotten tho :LOL_Hair: That would have been like the 43 copper :LOL_Hair:

dinkyblue
05-23-2016, 03:15 PM
Me too, it may be a little shy on it's plating but it does weigh 2.5g oh well just have to keep looking. The mint say's that there are 40 of the 43 copper ones still out there. I don't think there are that many or someone would have found one by now. Thanks...................Dan

willbrooks
05-24-2016, 04:54 PM
I agree that there are some plating issues on this coin. As for the mint mark, the lower serif looks interesting, but the extra "vertical bar" in the middle doesn't seem to coincide with a rotated re-punching. If anything, it looks tilted the other direction. I wonder if that also isn't a plating problem, or just a manifestation of a deep punching. I'm a little doubtful it would get a definitive nod, but you can always try.

dinkyblue
05-24-2016, 10:41 PM
The coin is available, if anyone has more information on it. Thanks for your help.........................Dan