PDA

View Full Version : does this look like a doubled die?

tomfiggy
06-17-2016, 04:32 PM
It looks similar to the ones on Coppercoins, but I can't find any markers on it. The 4 is filled in. I don't know if some or all of it is PMD?

willbrooks
06-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Impossible to tell, Tom. Yes, the tail of the 9 is fat, but it really looks to me like it took a hit and then got smoothed over by circulation. On a well circulated coin, class 6 doubling can only be confirmed when there is big distortion, often seen on LIBE, or that "ski-slope" effect on the E in WE. Just going by extra thickness on the tail of the 9 or other digits in the date is virtually impossible to confirm on a circulated coin, because circulation wear also makes the devices extra-thick. You need an uncirculated example for this kind of diagnosis. Throw it back.

tomfiggy
06-17-2016, 06:27 PM
Impossible to tell, Tom. Yes, the tail of the 9 is fat, but it really looks to me like it took a hit and then got smoothed over by circulation. On a well circulated coin, class 6 doubling can only be confirmed when there is big distortion, often seen on LIBE, or that "ski-slope" effect on the E in WE. Just going by extra thickness on the tail of the 9 or other digits in the date is virtually impossible to confirm on a circulated coin, because circulation wear also makes the devices extra-thick. You need an uncirculated example for this kind of diagnosis. Throw it back.

i agree. It's too beat up to tell.
thanks

jfines69
06-18-2016, 04:08 AM
To bad for the damage!!!