PDA

View Full Version : A question about a "non Penny" coin; Sacajawea dollar to be exact.

aftermathew.mg@gmail.com
06-23-2016, 07:21 AM
Something is wrong with my Sacajawea dollar. It's not gold... it's brass. Maybe it's misdoing a clad layer, maybe it didn't bond or wasn't heated to the right temperature... he's an excert I found while researching. And any opinions or advice would be great. Thank you

2000 Sacagawea Dollar on SBA Dollar Planchet (Transitional Error) This rarity was produced when a Susan B. Anthony dollar planchet was fed into a press that was striking Sacagawea dollars.Five pieces reported. How to Detect: Color: Silver, Diameter: 26.5 millimeters, Edge:Plain, Weight:8.1 grams, Content: Outer clad layers: 75% copper 25% nickel, Core: 100% copper. Approximate Value: $12,000 to $15,000.

2000 P Goodacre Presentation Sacagawea Dollar - Type One (unburnished) Circulation Strikes: 5,000 A little over 2% of the Goodacre Sacagawea's appear to be "unburnished." Sacagawea obverse designer, Glenna Goodacre, had 5,000 Sacagawea Dollars presented to her by the US Mint for of her design. How to Detect: Specially prepared and polished planchets, new die pair, high striking pressure, special handling, resulting in very few contact marks. Approximate Value: $600 to $1000

To me, I think unburnished means deliberately not cladded, polished, or finished, to give it a special look. Or being lazy....

enamel7
06-23-2016, 08:49 AM
Sorry, but the only thing I see about that dollar is it's well circulated. The turn brassy over time.

aftermathew.mg@gmail.com
06-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Lol thanks