PDA

View Full Version : 1971 S Proof Lincoln Cent DDO

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
07-18-2016, 05:18 AM
Hello. I wanted to get sum info on this cent. It's a 1971 S Proof DDO FS-01-101 (032). My question is the grade on coin and probable value.

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
07-18-2016, 05:26 AM
I'm sorry. Didn't mean to post that yet without pic. Having problems loading them

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
07-18-2016, 10:06 AM
http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112161&stc=1http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112162&stc=1http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112163&stc=1http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112164&stc=1http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112165&stc=1

duece2seven
07-18-2016, 10:57 AM
I'm not much help on grading but PCGS values these from $1000-4000 depending on grade. If you go to their Coinfacts site they show all the current eBay auctions for the variety. Very nice coin, btw! Maybe someone else will chime in on grade.

Tracy

WaterSport
07-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Like so many coins, but especially proofs, its hard to grade these by picture. I would use as many sources to see what grades have sold for in the past to get a fair market value. Heritage and Great Collections have auction archives you can use. The problem with the PCGS base value is that it will included Dealer sales, and can be behind in last auction sales. Or in some cases, its just plain wrong. Regardless you have one of the more challenging proofs to locate.

WS

jfines69
07-18-2016, 01:55 PM
I think the lighting in your pics is causing false images... I see lots of pits on the coin and all devices appear to have flat spots??? Could be my coke bottles tho :LOL_Hair: If it is as I see it I would guess a low to mid range AU???

willbrooks
07-18-2016, 03:14 PM
I think the lighting in your pics is causing false images... I see lots of pits on the coin and all devices appear to have flat spots??? Could be my coke bottles tho :LOL_Hair: If it is as I see it I would guess a low to mid range AU???

Jim, either you are missing something or else the mint must be doing a poor job if they are making proof cents that grade AU. :LOL_Hair:

That is a fantastic coin, by the way. Congrats! How did you come about it? I can see the die gouge above the right planter on the reverse. Just goes to show you, even proof dies get messed up.

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
07-18-2016, 07:20 PM
I purchased a proof set off eBay. Something told me to check it for some reason and ran across the cent and saw the date the LIBERTY then the IN GOD. I saw in the Cherrypickers and then a few more sites. Was just wondering a grade or maybe a value on it. Best error coin I found yet.

jfines69
07-19-2016, 04:28 AM
Jim, either you are missing something or else the mint must be doing a poor job if they are making proof cents that grade AU. :LOL_Hair:

That is a fantastic coin, by the way. Congrats! How did you come about it? I can see the die gouge above the right planter on the reverse. Just goes to show you, even proof dies get messed up.
I got to be missing something... Either my eyes are acting up really bad or my graphics card is going... Maybe I'm just old :LOL_Hair: Thanks Will!!!

BadThad
07-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Nice DDO! The luster appears to be muted and the reverse has browned - based on the pictures.

PR-64/65 or so

jfines69
07-19-2016, 01:38 PM
It does appear to be my graphics card acting up!!!

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
07-19-2016, 04:09 PM
It actually looks better in person. I took so many pics and got the best ones. I actually didn't think it would grade that high lol. Yeah. This is the best DDO coin I ever found.

grnwavdav
07-19-2016, 11:29 PM
That is truly an amazing find! Congratulations! It seems that this variety is hard to come by. But, for the record, it is considered a variety (not an error). Thanks for sharing!

GrumpyEd
07-20-2016, 04:23 AM
It's a great find, as far as doubling goes these are probably among the dozen best Lincoln DDOs.
That is a great find in any grade, it does not look high grade as far as proofs go but it's certainly a killer find.

The funny thing about this variety is the doubling on GOD almost looks like strike doubling then you look at LIBERTY and say "wow a massive DDO".

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
07-20-2016, 09:33 AM
Yes the GOD has little doubling in it mainly the G. TRUST very little doubling and I don't have a good enough camera to show u. LIBERTY is what mainly got me. I had a friend here in my town call it a poor mans doubling and I didn't question him but he let a coin dealer take a look at it and he said the same so it got me confused then. Why in books and on Internet they call it a DDO but a coin dealer calling it a poor mans double.

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
07-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Tonite I will try and take a better pic of IGWT and everyone tell me what you really think plus on the reverse in the column.

WxMan
07-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Very nice score from a proof set. Congrats.

willbrooks
07-20-2016, 03:27 PM
Yes the GOD has little doubling in it mainly the G. TRUST very little doubling and I don't have a good enough camera to show u. LIBERTY is what mainly got me. I had a friend here in my town call it a poor mans doubling and I didn't question him but he let a coin dealer take a look at it and he said the same so it got me confused then. Why in books and on Internet they call it a DDO but a coin dealer calling it a poor mans double.

It is NOT a "poor man's doubled die." A proof die only strikes a few thousand cents. It basically cannot suffer the extreme effects of die deterioration doubling (which is what a poor man's doubled die is.) You have an exceedingly rare and valuable doubled die there. Believe us. We know what we are talking about. 99% of coin dealers do not know the first thing about varieties. Take good care of that cent, and re-submit for grading with the variety added to the slab.

GrumpyEd
07-21-2016, 09:49 PM
I had a friend here in my town call it a poor mans doubling and I didn't question him but he let a coin dealer take a look at it and he said the same so it got me confused then.

You just showed something I've seen for years, some dealers aren't into doubled dies and only understand about the best known ones. It's not that they're bad dealers, it's just that variety collecting is a whole different world from what a lot of dealers deal in.

There's nothing "poor man" about this variety, it's one of the monster doubled dies of Lincoln cents, probably in the top dozen as far as Lincolns go and one of the best proof Lincolns in terms of how major it is.

mrmike916
07-21-2016, 09:57 PM
Amazing!! That's a monster for sure and would be at the top of my finds!

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
07-23-2016, 05:39 AM
I really appreciate everyone's feedback on my variety that I found. Everyone's info really has helped out and I r ally do know where I need to be for info on any other cent I find and I will let others know where they need to go to. This site is awesome and has great experts when it comes out o knowledge on all varieties on the Lincoln cents and all you guys keep up the great work you do helping everyone out. I'm going to get it graded asap. Again. Thank you everyone.

chuckster125
07-23-2016, 05:50 AM
WTG!
Spectacular find, especially coming from Ebay!!!

jfines69
07-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Let us know how it grades!!!

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
09-14-2016, 02:54 PM
http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113625&stc=1Hello everyone. Well I got my coin back today. It's a better grade than I thought it would be. Sorry pic is side ways. Crazy phone want let me fix it.

mustbebob
09-14-2016, 05:16 PM
That's an awesome grade for that coin. Congrats on the variety and the great grade!

GrumpyEd
09-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Congrats on everything!

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
09-14-2016, 06:49 PM
Thanks a lot. Here is the thing though. Last I talked to everyone. Not only did I find that one. I found another 4 days later. Both same grade.http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113657&stc=1

Petespockets55
09-15-2016, 03:34 AM
WOW comes to mind!! :O Congratulations.

jfines69
09-15-2016, 04:20 AM
That is awesome... Glad to know it was my computer going out on me... Finally got a new one and the original pics look totally different... Thanks for the follow up!!!

lucas_billy@yahoo.com
09-15-2016, 04:57 AM
I want to thank everyone for their info and help. This is a awesome group to talk to and I did recommend this site and group to a lot of my friends. Their is some great knowledge here if you need to know something about coins.

Frank
09-15-2016, 10:45 AM
That is just an AMAZING FIND!!! Kudos!! :tinysmile_classes_t

I found a regular 1971-P in change a few years back that I kept, but it looks NOTHING like yours!!

http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113658&stc=1