PDA

View Full Version : 1937 S double die? maybe

dinkyblue
08-11-2016, 01:21 PM
This could be IDO-001. This is a very well circulated coin, and very hard to see any markers so I could use a little help from the forum. I added a couple of pics of the 1937 S. The area on the reverse is where the markers should be,or some kind of evidence but I can't see anything there. I have studied these photo's and more with nothing to report. That brings me to think that the coin is to circulated to tell, or they simply are not there, the mint mark is in the right position for it to be 001. Is it posible that it may be an earlier stage? and just worn to much to see, or a new DDO. I guess Im sort of stuck unless someone here has another idea. No answers for this one. Thanks ..............dinkyblue

duece2seven
08-11-2016, 03:07 PM
That's a winner, my friend! Definite class 6 extra thickness. Nice find!

jfines69
08-11-2016, 03:17 PM
The MM looks to be in the correct spot... I can not really tell about the DD due to circ wear... Will or Bob may be able to tell for sure!!!

willbrooks
08-11-2016, 05:05 PM
As Tracy noted, there is no doubt that this is a class 6 doubled die. Yes, the MM location looks good by eye too for 1DO-001. However, these are often tough to be certain on circulated coins. To increase our degree of confidence we should do 2 things. First, we should get one of our good overlay guys, like jfines69, to do an overlay to confirm the MM position. Next, even in EDS, this reverse die showed extensive N-S die abrasions (which I believe are most likely feeder finger scrapes), so I would like to see some close-ups of the reverse. Even worn, I would think there should be some evidence of these. If not there, it is going to be tough to confirm.

dinkyblue
08-14-2016, 03:10 PM
I have studied this coin a lot, and found no evidence of any abrasions on the reverse. I have added a couple of new photo's please have a look. I'm sure you will find nothing. It just may be impossible to confirm DDO-001, but then what would one call it? A DDO with no number? Thanks for your help, if anyone has an idea please let me know, you don't find many older coins that are DDO's..................Dan

uglycent
08-14-2016, 09:30 PM
I have two BU examples and it does look like a match.

jfines69
08-15-2016, 04:39 AM
I have studied this coin a lot, and found no evidence of any abrasions on the reverse. I have added a couple of new photo's please have a look. I'm sure you will find nothing. It just may be impossible to confirm DDO-001, but then what would one call it? A DDO with no number? Thanks for your help, if anyone has an idea please let me know, you don't find many older coins that are DDO's..................Dan
Don't forget that it may take you a while to find a marker... Not all markers are listed... What I have done is compared coins, with no listed markers, against the pics from all available sources, Copper Coins, Variety Vista, Wexlers and if you have access Crawfords files... Quite often I have found die dots, chips or abrasions in those pics that match... That may be the only way to tell for sure!!!

dinkyblue
08-15-2016, 09:05 AM
Thank you for your help, I thought it might be, I'm adding some photo's with different light and angles, some of them are with my flat bed scanner maybe it will help a little..................................Dan

dinkyblue
08-15-2016, 09:08 AM
I'm not going to give up, I will continue to look for markers you might want to look at the new pic's, Thanks for your support......................Dan

jfines69
08-15-2016, 01:57 PM
I'm not going to give up, I will continue to look for markers you might want to look at the new pic's, Thanks for your support......................Dan
I see some possible markers but can not tell for sure... Check on your coin, can not tell if yours are abrasions or flow lines, under the LI of LIBERTY with the Stage B pics on VV... Also the area between UNUM and the rim on yours especially the tip of the east vertical bar of the 2nd U with the pics of Stage C... Yours appears to have some either abrasions or flow lines similar to VVs!!!

mrmike916
08-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Good eye catching that one! Markers may be impossible when circulated. I like to do an overlay of the date and MM with an known example to help relive doubts I may have with any coin. After you find several of the same coins with the same doubling and MM possitions, you will feel more comfortable writing a specific designation down. Of course it's not %100 confirmed, but probabilities are high.

dinkyblue
08-16-2016, 12:24 AM
I have added a new photo please have a look, on CC web site for 1937 S IDO - 001 the 5th pic down shows a small die gouge near the rim midway between TRUST and the date. I think I may have found it, if you compare the two they are very similar and in the right position on the coin. Please let me know what you think. Thanks .....................Dan

enamel7
08-16-2016, 12:29 AM
Just post the pic here!

jfines69
08-16-2016, 04:21 AM
On your pic of the gouge I notice what also appears to be a die gouge just north of the one you pointed out... To me it appears to match the photo on CC... Way to go!!!

dinkyblue
08-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Yes I see it, also 4 members agree on IDO 001 and now it seems we have a match. Sure took awhile to find the markers, but I must say you are right when you said all markers were not listed. Just gotta keep pushing and be determined. I want to thank everyone for the help on this one, now I can look for another one, case closed............................Dan