PDA

View Full Version : DDO ?

Scott
08-14-2016, 08:21 PM
Found this 1972 Lincoln this evening . Its worn but some doubling seems to show . Could not match anything on CC or VV . I need an experts eye to help . Scott

Frank
08-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Very odd! Almost looks like the secondary image starts off towards the center in "Liberty", but then looks like the spread is to the rim on "In God". Then, once again on "Trust"...towards the center.

Only thing I've seen do this is MD, but it definitely appears to be rounded and not flat. Could be the way the light hits it, but yeah...I'm as stumped as you! :tinysmile_eyebrow_t

enamel7
08-14-2016, 09:33 PM
Sorry, but all I see is either md or tricks played by the lighting. I'll go with md.

willbrooks
08-15-2016, 04:44 AM
Your coin has the master die "doubling." About half of all 1972 cents show this doubling. This is a common thing for novices to get fooled by (including me the first time I saw it), so don't feel bad. It has no premium.
http://www.lincolncentforum.com/1972-master-die-doubling/

Frank
08-15-2016, 07:08 AM
Wow, I'm glad I saw this now! I'll have to look, but I'm nearly sure I saved at least one of them!

GREAT info! :tinysmile_classes_t

GrumpyEd
08-15-2016, 07:16 AM
Easiest pick up to see the master doubling like that coin has is the U of trust, it looks like a normal U with a slightly shorter horse-shoe shaped U sort of over the normal one. (curves in on the tops of the verticals of the U like a horse-shoe instead of straight verticals on the normal U) You can't miss it in hand under a loupe.

Maineman750
08-15-2016, 02:06 PM
To me, the tops of the B and R stand out like a sore thumb on these MDD 72's

Scott
08-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your input and info. Thanks Will for the great Link and I dont feel bad about it not being a DDO , thats how we learn more about the Hobby and the different varieties . And now I have a good example of a 1972 Master Die Doubling . Thanx again . Scott:)

jfines69
08-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Expert I... Hope that helps :LOL_Hair: I still get fooled by the master die doubling... Is that the actual color of the coin??? If it is that is neat looking!!!

GrumpyEd
08-15-2016, 08:51 PM
I dont feel bad about it not being a DDO

You were correct, it is a DDO so you shouldn't feel bad. Master die doubling is a DDO (at least the way I see it).

It came from a die that was doubled, the difference is that the die came from a master that was doubled instead of being from a normal master and doubled when the die itself was made. So it is a doubled die, the problem is that they made a lot of dies from that master so what made them worthless is that there are a lot of these and there are several dies with the same doubling. People often say half of the dies were like that but I think it's less than half, but still enough to make it worthless.

These were listed as die-5 then they changed the listings and listed these as a master doubled die and they replaced the listing with what is now die-5 (which is not a master doubled die). So be careful because there are old slabs out there that have these labeled as die-5.

jfines69
08-16-2016, 04:28 AM
In another 100 years there will be so few of these remaining that those few will be worth 10 cents :LOL_Hair:

willbrooks
08-16-2016, 04:42 AM
These were listed as die-5 then they changed the listings and listed these as a master doubled die and they replaced the listing with what is now die-5 (which is not a master doubled die). So be careful because there are old slabs out there that have these labeled as die-5.

Awesome information, Ed. Thank you.