View Full Version : 1943 DDO?

Roller
10-03-2016, 04:44 PM
I'm convinced that this is a DDO but can't find an attribution. Ops?

jfines69
10-04-2016, 04:29 AM
Nice looking 43... That does look possible as a DDO... Has the shape of the eye lid... On the close ups it appears you may have a reengraved die??? It may be related to that but I am not sure???

willbrooks
10-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Nice looking 43... That does look possible as a DDO... Has the shape of the eye lid... On the close ups it appears you may have a reengraved die??? It may be related to that but I am not sure???

Jim, can you do an overlay? I can't tell if the full shape of the eyelid is compromised in the photos.

mustbebob
10-04-2016, 04:11 PM
I am not so sure that this is a DDO. The shape looks close, but it is not complete. Take a look at this 1955D DDO. This is what I would expect from a DDO that strong in this area.

http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1955&die_id=1955d1do001&die_state=mds

stoneman227
10-04-2016, 05:26 PM
I'm thinking not a DD . For the perimeter shape of the eye to be present from the initial hubbing , the doubling would have to have the same relief as the final hubbed eye. The anomaly appears to have a more shallow relief compaired to the normal eye.

John

Roller
10-04-2016, 07:56 PM
I am not so sure that this is a DDO. The shape looks close, but it is not complete. Take a look at this 1955D DDO. This is what I would expect from a DDO that strong in this area.

http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1955&die_id=1955d1do001&die_state=mds
The 55 is a far greater spread, it seems to me, and in the NNW direction. Whereas this one appears to be all in the easternly direction so not an apples to apples comparison me thinks.

GrumpyEd
10-04-2016, 09:57 PM
It does look like it has a trench like it was re-engraved.

Looking at the full pic, it looks like doubling on the whole nose but it goes east and south making it bigger than a normal nose if it was a DDO.

Does the coin have a slightly gold hue to it or is that only from the photo?
I doubt it's the case here but I've seen some very well lacquered 43 cents, they had a gold hue maybe because the lacquer yellows over time. Like I said I doubt it's the case but if there is lacquer on it that might make some doubling if it flowed aoff the high areas and pooled around them. Just a thought outloud, probably not right. :squigglemouth:

jfines69
10-05-2016, 04:26 AM
Jim, can you do an overlay? I can't tell if the full shape of the eyelid is compromised in the photos.
If roller doesn't mind I can... I have another 43 here I can compare it to!!!

jfines69
10-05-2016, 04:31 AM
On 4th and 5th look I decided to compare this visually with some listed 43 eye DDOs... To me it looks as if Rollers exhibits some isolated MD when compared to CC 002 http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1943&die_id=1943p1do002&die_state=mds The shape of the eyelid on Rollers coin appears to be no larger than the other 43s???

Added - If Roller wants I can do an overlay!!!

Roller
10-05-2016, 05:24 AM
On 4th and 5th look I decided to compare this visually with some listed 43 eye DDOs... To me it looks as if Rollers exhibits some isolated MD when compared to CC 002 http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1943&die_id=1943p1do002&die_state=mds The shape of the eyelid on Rollers coin appears to be no larger than the other 43s???
Its not like any MD I have seen (if that's what it is) and the re engraving looks entirely different. This anom is raised and rounded.

Added - If Roller wants I can do an overlay!!!
Go for it Jim.

mustbebob
10-05-2016, 01:25 PM
The 55 is a far greater spread, it seems to me, and in the NNW direction. Whereas this one appears to be all in the easternly direction so not an apples to apples comparison me thinks.

I wasn't trying to give you an apples to apples comparison. Only what I would expect to see from a spread that strong. The doubling above and below the 'lid' itself should be visible George. I hope Jim's overlay can add something to this post. I am very interested in seeing the results because I am thinking I am not explaining myself properly. I just can't see how it can be an eyelid but I have been wrong twice already this year! :angel: Things like this is why I love this hobby so much. So much to learn all the time.

jfines69
10-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Go for it Jim.
Will do... I will post it tomorrow!!!

jfines69
10-06-2016, 04:17 AM
Here is the overlay... I put Rollers over mine... The eyelids appear the same size so I am thinking MD... I darkened Rollers pic for contrast purposes!!!

On a side note... Be careful down there Roller... STAY SAFE!!!

Added - I added a second pic that has a darker background pic... I think it is easier to see than the first one I posted!!!

Roller
10-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks and thanks, Jim. Colonials are shut and house battened down.

jfines69
10-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Good... Unfortunately it looks as if Matthew is going to loop back around... If it hooks up with tropical storm Nicole they will need to change the name to MaNic :LOL_Hair:

Petespockets55
10-06-2016, 05:35 PM
MATTHEW, you are a baaaaaaad boy!! :LOL_Hair:

Frank
10-06-2016, 07:17 PM
If it hooks up with tropical storm Nicole they will need to change the name to MaNic :LOL_Hair:

Oh, MAN...LMAO!!!!!!

enamel7
10-06-2016, 07:54 PM
I am suspecting this is md also.