PDA

View Full Version : Nug

FenderBender
01-18-2008, 06:46 PM
I had an uncle who collected coins for years and sort of got me started when I was young...Just looking for certain ones, 1964 silver coins and wheats, etc. I am just getting my feet wet with searching rolls and trying to remember key dates with errors, etc. This forum has been an excellent resource and I joined to just let everyone who has posted that it is a BIG help for someone like me. I am still trying to figure out what the numbers mean after the abbreviations...

I really don't know how far I'll go with it, but in my first $25 of pennies I did find a 1998 Wide AM...That was key! It may not sound like much to you veterans, but this is the first error coin I have found in probably 25 years of glancing through change.

Thanks and I will likely be doing more reading than typing for a while, unless it is to ask a truly rookie question.

Brad
01-18-2008, 07:08 PM
I would say your 1998 Wide AM was a big find for one $25 box. I usually only find some Canadian cents. Welcome to the forum.

car10
01-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Welcome FenderBender. Your find of a 1998 wide AM is an nice catch. I've been roll searching cents for about four years now. I figure I've gone through more than half a million cents and I've only found about ten 1998 wide AMs. I've found more than seventy 2000 wide AM's and two 1999's. Hang in there. They ARE out there to be found.
As for the numbers after the abbreviations. If I understand your question correctly then they are sequential numbers used to catalog recognized errors or varieties.It might help for us to post a glossary of sorts to define what all the abbreviations mean. Some common ones you will see here are RPM(repunched mint mark), OMM(over mint mark), RDV(reverse die variety).
Don't be shy. Rookie questions are not only welcomed but encouraged.

FenderBender
01-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Wow...I did not realize how big of a find it was. I'll try to scan it and post it or use it as my avatar...The penny is not all that clean, but seems to be in otherwsie good condition.

Yeah, I have a lot to learn...Thanks for the OMM definition...I just recently figured out the other two in the last week and I am still not quie sure what an RDV really is, but saw the posting of the seven design varieties and was assuming that if it looked like that picture in that posting then I had the variety??

Anyway, yes, for example I saw the posting for major varieties and wondered what this meant:

1960 D rpm 1, 2, 13, 17, 19, 23, 60 meant with respect to the numbers.

car10
01-18-2008, 08:04 PM
...I just recently figured out the other two in the last week and I am still not quie sure what an RDV really is, but saw the posting of the seven design varieties and was assuming that if it looked like that picture in that posting then I had the variety??

The chart you mentioned is very helpful. Thanks Steven. The Lincoln memorial cent has had seven different reverse design varieties since 1959 starting with RDV-001. The design in current use is RDV-007. The chart shows normal reverse designs for the year listed. If you find something that differs from the chart then you may have found a variety. When/if you do post some photos for us to see. We'd love to see them.
As for the RPM's, that is more Brad's subject. Brad...

Pat
01-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the forum fender..

Brad
01-18-2008, 09:34 PM
[quote=car10;1783]It might help for us to post a glossary of sorts to define what all the abbreviations mean. quote]

I've considered making a glossary of terms. It is on my To-Do list... which keeps geting longer...

Pat
01-18-2008, 09:35 PM
http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/faq.php?faq=numismatic#faq_numismaticacronyms

Brad
01-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Here is a quick RPM explanation: First of all, and RPM is a RePunched Mintmark. Mintmarks are punch into dies after they are made. If the mintmark can be seen two or more times, it is considered an RPM. You can see some here: http://www.lincolncentresource.com/RPMS/RPMS.html

There may be more than one variety for a given year. In 1956 you can see that I have three listed. There are at least 21 1956 D RPM variations. Each number corresponds to a different variation. My site does not list them all. www.coppercoins.com (http://www.coppercoins.com) is a website that has most RPM's and DDO's listed. The site is sometimes hard to navigate at first, but once it makes sense to you, it is helpful.

Brad
01-18-2008, 09:42 PM
http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/faq.php?faq=numismatic#faq_numismaticacronyms

Did you just make that?

Pat
01-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Did you just make that?

Been there since day 1.. Under the FAQ link.. :)

Brad
01-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Been there since day 1.. Under the FAQ link.. :)

Nice. Did you write that list?

Pat
01-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Nice. Did you write that list?

Nah.. It's compiled from a bunch of different sources.. Whenever I found a new Acronym, I'd add it to the list..

car10
01-19-2008, 05:05 AM
You're the man Pat. I think that is the most comprehensive list I've seen.

Brad
01-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Nah.. It's compiled from a bunch of different sources.. Whenever I found a new Acronym, I'd add it to the list..

You forgot the most important one...

LCR - Lincoln Cent Resource, LOL:D

car10
01-19-2008, 09:45 AM
You forgot the most important one...

LCR - Lincoln Cent Resource, LOL:D
:LOL_Hair:

FenderBender
01-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Pat and Brad...A HUGE thanks...Geez, I'm a quick study, but this is going to take longer than I thought!