PDA

View Full Version : 1935 DDO

Roller
10-16-2016, 07:59 PM
I believe this is a well worn die 1. I was lucky to see it with all the crud originally on it. Must be a nice one in mint state.

grnwavdav
10-16-2016, 09:53 PM
That's the one! Nice find!

uglycent
10-16-2016, 10:28 PM
One of my favorites. I alway try to cherry pick this on on Ebay because it is relatively unknown by many. Found two anp picked 1 for my collection.

WaterSport
10-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Agree, its neat coin to find and own.

WS

jfines69
10-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Nice find... Just a bit of wear :LOL_Hair: Were you able to match any markers???

joel
10-19-2016, 04:09 AM
Very nice find!! What did you do to remove all the original crud and make it look so well kept?

Roller
10-19-2016, 09:00 AM
Very nice find!! What did you do to remove all the original crud and make it look so well kept?
My crud removal method depends on what the crud appears to consist of. In this case it was dried on all the devices inside the letters and crevices. I first soaked in acetone for about a half hour and then placed in the sonic cleaner (no solution, just hot water). After a few cycles in the sonic cleaner, there was still material stuck in and around the crevices but otherwise most was shaken loose. I used a sharpened plastic toothpick to gently disturb the remaining crud (takes some time and care not to scratch the metal surface in the process). Now back to the sonic cleaner and the result is as you see. The acetone dries out most of the crud and makes it brittle/flaky and easy to agitate loose from the coin. I only do this to coins worth my time and attention and I would not do it to a 5K coin.

Chugly
10-19-2016, 09:09 AM
Excellent find George. No doubt about that one!

I appreciate you sharing your conservation methods. I do a lot of the same things, but have not tried a sonicator. A nice tool to have for the arsenal.

joel
10-19-2016, 05:53 PM
My crud removal method depends on what the crud appears to consist of. In this case it was dried on all the devices inside the letters and crevices. I first soaked in acetone for about a half hour and then placed in the sonic cleaner (no solution, just hot water). After a few cycles in the sonic cleaner, there was still material stuck in and around the crevices but otherwise most was shaken loose. I used a sharpened plastic toothpick to gently disturb the remaining crud (takes some time and care not to scratch the metal surface in the process). Now back to the sonic cleaner and the result is as you see. The acetone dries out most of the crud and makes it brittle/flaky and easy to agitate loose from the coin. I only do this to coins worth my time and attention and I would not do it to a 5K coin.
George, I really appreciate the outline of what you do to make that Lincoln look so sharp!! I'm working on restoring an 1895 IHC I found a few days ago, I have been using Verdi-Care with limited success. Here are a couple of pics of what it looked like when I found it.

Roller
10-19-2016, 06:09 PM
George, I really appreciate the outline of what you do to make that Lincoln look so sharp!! I'm working on restoring an 1895 IHC I found a few days ago, I have been using Verdi-Care with limited success. Here are a couple of pics of what it looked like when I found it.
Can't say what my method would do for that coin but I can tell you that Verdicare will do nothing. If it does not respond to acetone, I would try Xylene and as a last resort, Goo Gone. Any of these treatments will require additional physical agitation (i.e. toothpick, sonic, or whatever). Sometimes the coin will not respond to any of these treatments. Unless it is worthy of more attention, forget it, if it does, I suggest the coin be sent in for "professional conservation".

joel
10-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Can't say what my method would do for that coin but I can tell you that Verdicare will do nothing. If it does not respond to acetone, I would try Xylene and as a last resort, Goo Gone. Any of these treatments will require additional physical agitation (i.e. toothpick, sonic, or whatever). Sometimes the coin will not respond to any of these treatments. Unless it is worthy of more attention, forget it, if it does, I suggest the coin be sent in for "professional conservation".
Thank you for you suggestios!! I will try to use them and let you know what happens. Larry

Frank
10-19-2016, 10:41 PM
How the heck did you catch that with copper scuzzies on it?

I definitely need to get me some acetone and VC!!

Awesome find!! :tinysmile_classes_t

stoneman227
10-20-2016, 10:28 AM

This Indian is a dug coin. The earth it was in has leached copper from the coin. This action has left the corrosion deposits on the coins surface. Chemical on sonic cleaning may not be the answer for this coin.
Looking close at the date in your pics showes that there is a hard thin patina covering a leached soft copper core. Chemicals or sonic cleaning will potentially strip the thin patina and leave just a pitted semblance of your coin.
This will go against everything we practice in restoring modern coins , but , careful scraping with a sharp scalpel under high magnification can allow you to remove the corrosion down to the hard patina and with practice no further. It's a technique used to restore ancient coins.

John