PDA

View Full Version : Nube

S.Franco408
12-08-2016, 12:12 AM
Hello, ive collected coins here and there for about 11 yrs.....nothing major. I just recently started looking up some of them and stumbled across some interesting coins.... I'll cut to the chase, is there a 1990 philidelphia lincoln penny 2/out a mint mark?.... if so, how can i identify which is "phil-no mark" & "san fran-no 's' "?....

GrumpyEd
12-08-2016, 01:20 AM
The rare no S is a proof.
Proof is a method of manufacture not a grade, you can tell by the mirror like fields and sharp rims.
(so a nice red bus strike still can never be a proof, only proofs are manufactured as proofs)

A 1990 without the proof fields is a normal bus strike from Phil.

Odds are like billions to one that if you found it in circulation it's a P.

Those no S proofs only came from proof sets and are super rare. The odds of finding one circulating is so low it's pretty much not worth thinking about. There's only a few dozen known examples from proof sets, to find one circulating means a super rare proof (a few dozen from a few million proof sets) needs to get broken out of a proof set and spent, they you'd need to find it among the billions of P mint bus strikes that are circulating.

In any case, look at the coin, is it a proof or not a proof?

GrumpyEd
12-08-2016, 01:22 AM
Oh! And a big WELCOME for your first post here :)

jfines69
12-08-2016, 04:28 AM
Welcome to the LCF... The Philly minted Lincoln one cents have no MM!!!

willbrooks
12-08-2016, 04:52 AM
Welcome to the forum! As Ed noted, all business strikes cents minted in Philadelphia have no mint mark, so, unless your coin came out of a proof set, it is completely normal. Maybe you just don't see too many of them on the west coast, but they mint billions of them every year in the east with no mint mark.

enamel7
12-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Welcome aboard!

uglycent
12-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Strap in and enjoy the ride.

WaterSport
12-10-2016, 07:59 AM
Welcome to a fun site! You will learn a lot here.

WS