PDA

View Full Version : 1958 DDO ?

Oldmech61
12-13-2016, 01:07 PM
I gave up on the latter coins and went to my Wheat's and hope I can do better. I can't find anything on this one maybe it's nothing looks like doubling on the 9 and the face. Thanks in advance for your help.
Oldmech61

willbrooks
12-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Same thing. Machine doubling. Look at the 9. If you remove the "doubling" you do not have a complete digit left. A doubled die will add to the overall size of device. MD "cuts into" the normal size of the device.

enamel7
12-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Md. Flat and shelf like. Visually remove the doubling and the device is smaller than normal.

jfines69
12-13-2016, 02:25 PM
MD... If I found this one I would keep it as a reference coin!!!

Oldmech61
12-13-2016, 03:08 PM
Thanks everyone

onecent1909
12-13-2016, 06:13 PM
As stated an easy way to tell true doubling from MD is: does the doubling add to a design or take away from a desiogn.
Think of Play-Doh...
If we have a mold of a car and then we put Play-Doh into it.....
We then remove the mold and you will get a car made of Play-Doh..
But put the mold back on the car...
Press down, but just slightly to one side..
You will flatten down an area of the design of the car...
This will look like a flat shelf like area...
Basically this is what Machine Doubling is.

Machine Doubling is when after the strike is completed and the dies are separating the die bounces on the coin.
Why? Standard theory is that the screws that hold the die in place loosen up or were never tightened down all the way.

This flattens down an area of design causing the flat shelf like area we call MD
That area in question that got smashed plus the area that is raised will equal the normal size
of the design that should be on the coin for that particular year.

MD takes away from the size of a normal design.

A doubled die has a design on the die that was doubled so it will be larger, or fatter, or doubled all together
Thus making the design on the coin larger, or fatter, or doubled all together

This is the easy way to tell MD from DDO/DDR
Is what you are looking at shelf like? Does it take away or add to the size