PDA

View Full Version : 1911-D Rpm 6

stoneman227
02-11-2017, 04:28 PM
My first 1911-D rpm. With all the controversy this one has had in the past I think I am correct with the attribution. Ebay pick.

John

http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117324&stc=1

http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117325&stc=1

eaxtellcoin
02-12-2017, 07:15 AM
Well John, For once i'm glad to say your WRONG - This is RPM#3!!!!!!!!!!
I have included photo's of my RPM#6. Notice the position of the top serif on my coin then look at your's. I've been trying to show folks this for a LONG TIME!!!!!!!
One interesting tidbit is that the REV die crack looks almost in the same place. I would send the coin to Dr.Wiles for his files. I do not think he has seen the REV with the die crack.
CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John sent me this blow up. Here is what I mean by location.

Frank
02-12-2017, 08:09 AM
AMAZING pick!!

I'm on 1911-P now myself for adding to my new 'non-error' BU collection of Lincolns. I think I'd make an exception to get something like this however! Eyeballing some of those 1928 Lg "S" MMs too!

Congrats on the great pick!! :tinysmile_classes_t

joel
02-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Very cool ebay pick!! Good eye, great pics and congrats!!

VAB2013
02-12-2017, 01:56 PM
Awesome pick John WTG!! It's nice when you find out good news like this!! Congrats!!

Chugly
02-13-2017, 09:30 AM
Awesome pickup, John! One of most difficult RPM's to come by from what I've seen! Great job on the attribution as well, Eric!!

stoneman227
02-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Awesome pickup, John! One of most difficult RPM's to come by from what I've seen! Great job on the attribution as well, Eric!!
Thanks!
The seller had a nice UNC. 1938-D OMM5 Buffalo just ripe for picking but I had to choose only one to bid on. Glad it was this one !

John

stoneman227
02-14-2017, 01:57 PM
Update from Dr. Wiles

John:
The grade of your coin is not in its favor. That being said, I believe it to be RPM-006, stage C, LDS. The die crack at K-3 is a match given the wear on the coin. I think I can see a die crack at K-7 which would go along way to confirm it. If it is not there, then it is probably a stage B.5 (LMDS), but at this grade I can't use it to confirm the die stage. The RPM itself is not much help either in this grade. RPM-006 is a little lower in relation to the date, but in this grade that will be difficult to detect. So my attribution is basically dependent upon the reverse die crack being a match.

Thanks,
James Wiles

The coin was attributed from this post.
The search continues ! :D

John

jfines69
02-14-2017, 02:37 PM
I know my vision is currently out of wack but even with the rev cracks your MM position as well as the location of the split serifs match VVs 003 http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%201/1911DRPM003.htm which also transfers to Wexlers 003 http://doubleddie.com/902255.html The cracks on the rev may be similar or even from the same rev die as 006 Stage C... Either way it is a nice find!!!

eaxtellcoin
02-14-2017, 05:18 PM
I really really should not post this BUT...... I know everyone who has tilted RPM's is not going to like this. This coins position is close for both RPM's. This would not be a problem if the tilted RPM was never listed in the first place. I HATE when these types of RPM's get thrown into listings because they are very difficult to match to the other 20 tilted RPM's for the same date. Tilts are really really a nightmare just because we want to list everything produced by the mint. Sorry to all those that take offence - we all have our likes and dislikes. They types are my dis likes.

This was good to know John, Thanks for posting Dr. Wiles comments. Well it seems we need a higher graded RPM#3 with the REV marker's for this lousy RPM to be easier I.D.ed.

jfines69
02-15-2017, 04:21 AM
Thanks ya'll for not bashing me for my thoughts on this one... Once I get my new coke bottles and can see more clear then you can bash me :LOL_Hair: Excellent photos you have there John... Wish I could focus my eyes better rite now!!!

stoneman227
02-15-2017, 05:09 AM
No bashing going to happen . There is something about the pic of #3 on VV that hits me wrong. I may well get bashed for saying that.

John

jfines69
02-16-2017, 02:39 PM
No bashing going to happen . There is something about the pic of #3 on VV that hits me wrong. I may well get bashed for saying that.

John
:LOL_Hair: Thanks for not bashing me... What is it about Pic 3 on VV???

stoneman227
02-16-2017, 03:09 PM
:LOL_Hair: Thanks for not bashing me... What is it about Pic 3 on VV???

If you go to the VV page that showes all of the 1911-d rpm's and compair the 9's in all the dates , the 9 in the photo of rpm#3 appears to be distorted . Whether this is from the lens that was used to photograph the coin or the coin was angled when the pic was taken and the perspective was corrected to straighten the 1's I am not sure. Perspective control is easy in the digital age but wasn't that hard in the analog age ether. I did it when I had a darkroom.
Just my two cent , if it's worth that .

John

eaxtellcoin
02-16-2017, 05:58 PM
I get that same affect when I use a cut 1/1/2 inside a regular 1 1/2 coin holder. Basically focusing on the mintmark gives a focus distortion on the date. because the camera is focused on the mintmark the date is slightly farther away. I.E. Mintmark at top - closer to camera than the date - farther away so slightly out of focus.

stoneman227
02-16-2017, 06:33 PM
Eric, I think we are saying the same thing. Normally, lines such as the ones created by the 1's in the date will start to slightly converge at the top of the photo instead of being parallel. A pic taken with a small enough aperture could keep everything in focus and then fixing the lines of the 1's could give a pic like is on VV.
I worry about how this would affect the spacial relationship between the MM and the date.

John

jfines69
02-17-2017, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the follow up... It looks to me as if the camera was at a slight angle away from the top of the date on the 003 Date/MM pic... The top of the date is less in focus than the MM itself... The haze appears to be light reflection back into the lens!!!

Frank
02-17-2017, 07:19 AM
I worry about how this would affect the spacial relationship between the MM and the date.
John

Which begs the question: If you took a MM on a date, would it be spatial? :LOL_Hair: