PDA

View Full Version : Am Scope

Pop70
03-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Has anyone any input on the camera that comes with the Am Scope SE 306R - PZ-2 ??? My eyes are so very bad that I figured the scope will be of great help. But a camera is also needed me thinks. Just so very new to all this and just learning, so any help would be greatly appreciated please. Thank you

Frank
03-07-2017, 03:28 PM
I just checked one listed on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/AmScope-SE306R-PZ-Microscope-Magnification-Objectives/dp/B005B1TR16), and I don't even see a port for a camera. Or am I just missing something (?).

jcuve
03-07-2017, 04:01 PM
You should probably include a link to the specific place where it is for sale so we can see the camera. I believe some of the cameras built for scopes can shoot through one of the eye ports if the lens is removed.

Pop70
03-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Continued on my searching; found a video on you tube posted by jbcoins .... The camera does go through one of the eye pieces also contacted Am Scope. They said the SE models would not give full coin shots but that the SM series would. They are several hundred dollars more than I can afford at this time. Most come with a 2MB camera but a 1.3 is available. Just wondering how good/clear shot those would take. It was a surprise just how fast Am Scope got back to me with the answers. Thank you all for the input.

uglycent
03-07-2017, 09:17 PM
I use the SE with a 3.0 mega pixel camera, It work fairly well for getting views and images to study and share. It is by no means the camera for web page library shots such as you see on CC. If you go back and look at some of the images in my post you will see why a 3.0 Mp is barley sufficient. Most members here have suggested 5.0 or 8.0 for professional imaging. But I am please with the one I have for what I do. Here is the link to my original post:
http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?39351-Serious-new-tool(toy)&highlight=friend+gift

;

Pop70
03-10-2017, 01:18 AM
Well thank you so very much.Still kicking all this around, sounds pretty simple some times , it probably is; on the other hand, which ever path I choose, I must live with that for a bit for my budget is such that things are allotted as X for this and X for that. Recon the number 1 goal is the ability to get a clear look preferably via my monitor with a secondary goal of photos preferably good ones.

jfines69
03-10-2017, 04:15 AM
Well thank you so very much.Still kicking all this around, sounds pretty simple some times , it probably is; on the other hand, which ever path I choose, I must live with that for a bit for my budget is such that things are allotted as X for this and X for that. Recon the number 1 goal is the ability to get a clear look preferably via my monitor with a secondary goal of photos preferably good ones.
I know that dilemma :LOL_Hair: Sometimes there isn't any thing for X either :LOL_Hair:

VAB2013
03-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Been doing some research Pop. Celestron.com has a couple that I am looking at. Going to contact Celestron today for more information, will let you know what I find out.

The Andonstar is not going to happen. Tracy is having some problems with his and Windows 10. So back to the drawing board.

Pop70
03-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Ok thank you so very much, was about ready to come to an agreement with myself. lol Thanks again.

VAB2013
03-10-2017, 10:30 AM
So, today I called Celestron and I did a live chat with one of their reps. Explained to both people what I am trying to do with one cent coins. They both recommended the same product. The Microdirect 1080P HDMI Handheld Digital Microscope (comes with adjustable stand) Item #44316 $180 (but you may find it for less with free shipping somewhere else like ebay or amazon) Both reps said it has the best camera of all of their USB Scopes (in the $200 price range). What I like is the HDMI capability and that it saves images to a Micro SD card (buy separately for about $20). Not saying I am going to buy this one, there are lesser expensive ones and more expensive ones. Just the one I am researching, going to ask Tracy to look at it and give me his opinion.

Here is the link for it:
http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/microscopes/digital-microscopes/microdirect-1080p-hdmi-handheld-digital-microscope

VAB2013
03-10-2017, 11:21 AM
There's also some good information here https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-microscopes

One of my main questions when talking to different companies is "will it take a photo of a full coin" because I have watched many youtube videos of different scopes and they are not specific to coins so I have had to call around and ask.

Frank
03-10-2017, 11:25 AM
There's also some good information here https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-microscopes

One of my main questions when talking to different companies is "will it take a photo of a full coin" because I have watched many youtube videos of different scopes and they are not specific to coins so I have had to call around and ask.

GOOD call!

Mine uses what's known as a "Barlow" lens for wide-angle shots. It's juuuuuuust a bit too small a field of view at 0.5x mag, I think a 0.3 or 0.25 would be perfect.

Pop70
03-10-2017, 12:16 PM
Just visited that Celestron site.... exactly what I have been looking for. Tu so very much I truly appreciate it.

VAB2013
03-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Just visited that Celestron site.... exactly what I have been looking for. Tu so very much I truly appreciate it.

You are welcome Pop! At least it's a start in the right direction for me. All of this shouldn't be so complicated. I just want to be able to use my 19" widescreen tv monitor for viewing, take decent photos and have more time to enjoy searching through Lincolns not fussing with equipment. Because of a car wreck years ago, my neck would not be able to handle looking into a microscope for very long. I am going to check with Tracy to see what he thinks about the Celestron, he has done way more research than I have.

Pop70
03-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Yes I can relate to that, the Arthritis in mine is also a weather vane. Thank you again and again. And I think I just came across the items I want to use it on first. Going through several rolls of Nichols this morning found one with a nasty scar across the nose, looked it a bit and said just don't know looks funny, went from nose, out across left eye and fairly sharp. Then several rolls later came across another with the same scar, same place, but just on the nose itself. ... rooted threw the pile of several rolls and found the first one. Checked it out the best I could and it appears to be the same, so thinking maybe it is the beginning of a die coming apart. Hence need far more learned eyes than mine, and a better way to examine and take a photo.

VAB2013
03-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Yes I can relate to that, the Arthritis in mine is also a weather vane.

Oh boy I do understand the weather vane thing... you know over the past couple of years I have noticed I have headaches with vision disturbances right before it rains... so I think I have sort of barometric pressure headache when the barometric pressure in the atmosphere drops :( I just watch the weather closely now and take something for a headache the day it is supposed to rain... works pretty well.

Pop70
03-10-2017, 01:27 PM
Yessir, this season for us here in SE mo. has been so very different Yesterday in the 70's last night frost warnings, today on 50's and this weekend maybe snow.

VAB2013
03-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Yessir, this season for us here in SE mo. has been so very different Yesterday in the 70's last night frost warnings, today on 50's and this weekend maybe snow.

Same thing here Pop! I have neighbors next door that just moved here from New York. We were talking about the crazy weather the other day and I just told them "Welcome to Alabama, now just wait until the pollen and ragweed gets here"... they just laughed and said they were happy to get away from the snow!

JC Stevens
03-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Can you rotate the scope on the pole to get a full image of a coin put on a lower platform? It doesn't look like you can raise it up to get a full image. Unless there is an extension for the top of the pole.

VAB2013
03-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Can you rotate the scope on the pole to get a full image of a coin put on a lower platform? It doesn't look like you can raise it up to get a full image. Unless there is an extension for the top of the pole.

Thank you JC, which scope are you referring to.

JC Stevens
03-10-2017, 01:50 PM
from your link The MICRODIRECT 1080P HDMI HANDHELD DIGITAL MICROSCOPE.

Tip... when using a pole stand. After you get the focus and lighting set for the group of coins your searching. Put the coin on a slip of paper and slide the coin under the scope moving the paper to position the coin. Also if the scope has a auto focus. Once you get it to focus and the light adjust is set, turn off the auto focus. This is because when you slide out the slip of paper the background color is different and the scope wants to refocus and this will slow down your searching.

JC Stevens
03-10-2017, 01:53 PM
FYI, I use a Dino-Lite AM-411T and their pole stand.

Pop70
03-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Now that is just a wonderful idea, thank you so very much for that. Saw the video on the Celestron, if that is what you in reference to, and do not believe it has the auto focus feature.

VAB2013
03-10-2017, 02:08 PM
from your link The MICRODIRECT 1080P HDMI HANDHELD DIGITAL MICROSCOPE.

Tip... when using a pole stand. After you get the focus and lighting set for the group of coins your searching. Put the coin on a slip of paper and slide the coin under the scope moving the paper to position the coin. Also if the scope has a auto focus. Once you get it to focus and the light adjust is set, turn off the auto focus. This is because when you slide out the slip of paper the background color is different and the scope wants to refocus and this will slow down your searching.

Thank you JC... I will have to check on how that adjustment works on the Microdirect, thank you for bring this up. And thank you so much for the tip on how to move the coin around and turning off auto focus.

I have heard of the Dino-Lite and the only reason I did not research them is... well duece2seven (Tracy) has one and it's more expensive than my budget, closer to the $1K range.

JC Stevens
03-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Check out the 4113-T They didn't have this model when I upgrade from my 211-t
http://www.microscope.com/dino-lite-pro-am4113t-handheld-digital-microscope.html?category=227

http://www.microscope.com/accessories/stands/dino-lite-ms35b-rigid-industrial-pole-stand.html

I'm hoping they will release a new model that has a better resolution, 1.3 MP color resolution works for what I do which this one and the 411-T has. The 5.0 MP are still in the 1K range.

They also have scopes that work on tablets and phones. Neat for coin shows!!

VAB2013
03-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Thank you JC! Looking at Dino-Lite's now too! I was a bit leery of the ones less than 1K, so my research went into another direction. I like that some can be used with tablets and phones. May be a good thing since my laptop is giving me some issues. My tablet is newer and has been problem free.