PDA

View Full Version : Looking for criticism

Maineman750
04-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Just got a copy stand from Ray and trying it out....need some constructive criticism/tips, etc. I don't care if you're an expert or not...anything helps :D

Petespockets55
04-04-2017, 06:01 PM
Doesn't look like there is much to criticize. I was going to say slightly too bright on the high points, but it is still sharp and easy to see details when enlarged.

amosamos16
04-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Honestly that's really good. Maybe more overhead lighting. You can see the light and dark areas. If you follow me. There is my criticism from somebody who knows nothing of photography. Now take a pic of that SLQ your going to sell me :D

Maineman750
04-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Now take a pic of that SLQ your going to sell me :D I'll work on that between fishing trips this week...don't be afraid to remind me

jcuve
04-04-2017, 09:01 PM
I would suggest you play with how the light hits the field versus the portrait to accentuate the contrast between the two.

Frank
04-04-2017, 09:48 PM
I never had a lot of luck with high-lustre silver. Had to get rather creative on what I use to diffuse a light source.

I love how these look, however. I see nice natural coloring, super job IMO!

enamel7
04-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Looks great to me!

Maineman750
04-05-2017, 01:09 AM
Well, this is encouraging. I'm using two Jansco lights with ping pong ball diffusers. Now my question would be how to accomplish what is being said.....just move the lights around ?

stoneman227
04-05-2017, 02:41 AM
Not sure of the working distance you have available but getting your lights as close to the body of the lens as possibly can help even out the fields.
I always use one light as a key to give the face a natural expression then use one or more lights to even out the fields (if that's what I'm going for ).

John

Also , though I dont have that much experience doing it , capturing cartwheel luster on Morgans necessitates less diffusion of your light source , not easy!

jfines69
04-05-2017, 04:05 AM
Well, this is encouraging. I'm using two Jansco lights with ping pong ball diffusers. Now my question would be how to accomplish what is being said.....just move the lights around ?
I tried the ping pong ball diffuser but the balls go by so fast I could never get the timing correct :LOL_Hair:

jfines69
04-05-2017, 04:10 AM
At 250% zoom the images are still really clear... These are really nice images especially on a bright finish coin... The only thing I can think of is the light... Different angles will give different results and make things pop... Light and shadow... I think you need to go on a fishing trip come back practice more then go on another fishing trip and think about what colors the fish are seeing... That way you can catch more :LOL_Hair:

stoneman227
04-05-2017, 05:35 AM
Hmm , you could add a hook and a skirt to that lady liberty and let her spin around. She might turn into lady luck for you ! :tinysmile_hmm_t:

stoneman227
04-05-2017, 05:38 AM
I tried the ping pong ball diffuser but the balls go by so fast I could never get the timing correct :LOL_Hair:

Jim , just think of it as bounce lighting !

Frank
04-05-2017, 08:28 AM

OMG...the visuals!! :sign10::sign10:

VAB2013
04-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Nice job Maineman! That coin is going to look great under any conditions, it's beautiful! I do believe you are on the right track here, really nice photos!

mustbebob
04-05-2017, 01:37 PM
I think the black background is too dark. That is all!

Maineman750
04-05-2017, 02:29 PM
OK..went fishing all day....53 smallmouths should do the trick, right....and probably lighten up the black a little too, Bob

jfines69
04-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Jim , just think of it as bounce lighting !
I shall see if that works :LOL_Hair: Just got to watch out for the paddles :LOL_Hair:

jfines69
04-05-2017, 02:35 PM
OK..went fishing all day....53 smallmouths should do the trick, right....and probably lighten up the black a little too, Bob
That's a nice catch... Try that as the back ground color!!!

Maineman750
04-06-2017, 01:39 AM
Not sure of the working distance you have available but getting your lights as close to the body of the lens as possibly can help even out the fields.
I always use one light as a key to give the face a natural expression then use one or more lights to even out the fields (if that's what I'm going for ).
Also , though I dont have that much experience doing it , capturing cartwheel luster on Morgans necessitates less diffusion of your light source , not easy!

John, my working distance is about 8 "

stoneman227
04-06-2017, 06:22 AM
John, my working distance is about 8 "

That should be good.
I have never used the lights you have but with mine i have actually pointed them into the sides of the lens and tight to the lens with no filter. Everything is mostly reflected light at that point but just enough strait light to give brilliance.

John

Maineman750
04-06-2017, 06:53 AM
That should be good.
I have never used the lights you have but with mine i have actually pointed them into the sides of the lens and tight to the lens with no filter. Everything is mostly reflected light at that point but just enough strait light to give brilliance.

John

I'll give that a try, remove ping pong balls and tight to the lens...thanks

willbrooks
04-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Oh rats! I saw the thread title, "Looking for criticism." So, I went and spent the last 3 days writing a list. But now that I opened and read the thread, I see it isn't applicable. Please try to be more specific the next time. :kiss:

As for the coin, I agree with you. :sign10: