PDA

View Full Version : Reducing glare on shiny coins.

Petespockets55
08-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Taking images of shiny coins is difficult at best. There is a member of another forum I visit that posted a fairly simple solution years ago and I just revisited that thread and thought I would share it. It may not work as well with a scope because of how close you need to be to the coin surface.
Here is the link http://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=12027 .
Hope others find this helpful, Cliff

Roller
08-09-2017, 06:45 AM
We have discussed this topic exhaustively on this forum. I take all my shots, shiny or not, (except extreme close ups through the microscope) using the indirect lighting with pane of glass at 45 degree angle to light source.

Maineman750
08-09-2017, 01:58 PM
Bringing the topic up again always helps....especially the newbies.....I moved this to our photography sub forum, thanks !

jfines69
08-09-2017, 02:23 PM
I remember those discussions... Even discussed the type of glass to use... I have yet to try that method... I normally go with indirect lighting... I have a piece of printer paper attached to my camera lens in a box shape and reflect the light off of that... Some times I need to shine directly onto the coin but not often!!!

ray_parkhurst
08-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Lots of folks swear by axial lighting, and I've dabbled with it a few times as well. It's good for raw coins, but slabbed coins tend to show glare from the slab reflections. I always come back to my "smile directors", which place the light source just outside the radius of the coin, but are very narrow so they approximate the axial effect.

edited to add:

Do a search for "smile directors coin photography" for relevant posts and instructions on how to make and use them

jfines69
08-11-2017, 04:09 AM
Taking images of shiny coins is difficult at best. There is a member of another forum I visit that posted a fairly simple solution years ago and I just revisited that thread and thought I would share it. It may not work as well with a scope because of how close you need to be to the coin surface.
Here is the link http://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=12027 .
Hope others find this helpful, Cliff

You could always use vinegar and sand paper to dull the coin :LOL_Hair:

TJ1952
08-11-2017, 07:04 AM
I don't believe there is anything on this entire forum that hasn't been discussed more then once. You could probably spend a lifetime/career on any one of them. The problem I have is searching and finding the answers to the subject/questions I'm interested in before starting a new thread. Not blaming anyone, I'm sure it's operator error on my end. I don't mind seeing or hearing the same questions over and over again, I just take what I need and move on. Thanks for the link Cliff!

Petespockets55
08-11-2017, 11:52 AM
You could always use vinegar and sand paper to dull the coin :LOL_Hair:

:sign10: Jim. Thanks for the chuckle.

Petespockets55
08-11-2017, 12:13 PM
I don't believe there is anything on this entire forum that hasn't been discussed more then once. You could probably spend a lifetime/career on any one of them. The problem I have is searching and finding the answers to the subject/questions I'm interested in before starting a new thread. Not blaming anyone, I'm sure it's operator error on my end. I don't mind seeing or hearing the same questions over and over again, I just take what I need and move on. Thanks for the link Cliff!
Glad to be of help and thanks for the encouragement TJ even though others might have to suffer more of the same because of it. :LOL_Hair:
I don't take anything the wrong way and hopefully I don't rub anyone the wrong way either. I am a "hardcore newbie novice" that has learned a lot here and likes to contribute with newbie questions and comments because most newbies are reluctant.
I always felt communication for me was a weak point in high school because my interest was math and biology. (After all, most teenagers study biology poolside or as it walks down the halls.) I learned more English taking a French class, even though my punctuation and sentence structure still is weak at best.
So ..... to make a short story endless, Thanks again! Cliff

jfines69
08-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Glad to be of help and thanks for the encouragement TJ even though others might have to suffer more of the same because of it. :LOL_Hair:
I don't take anything the wrong way and hopefully I don't rub anyone the wrong way either. I am a "hardcore newbie novice" that has learned a lot here and likes to contribute with newbie questions and comments because most newbies are reluctant.
I always felt communication for me was a weak point in high school because my interest was math and biology. (After all, most teenagers study biology poolside or as it walks down the halls.) I learned more English taking a French class, even though my punctuation and sentence structure still is weak at best.
So ..... to make a short story endless, Thanks again! Cliff

On some folks if you rub them the correct way a genie pops out :LOL_Hair: