PDA

View Full Version : Bag of fun

TPring
11-25-2017, 08:21 AM
Stopped in my local coin shop after picking up a box of LCs at the bank and discovered about a dozen of these laying like fertilizer near the front door.

They are 1959-1982 copper only. The owner said they were searched for date only [not really sure what he meant]. I did not even know these existed.

It appears there are many 'red' coins in the bag from the 60s and seventies [haven't opened it yet].

Anybody else try these? Are they helpful in finding varieties? Just curious to know about any experiences or thoughts.

Thanks

P.S. - sold at melt value

Petespockets55
11-25-2017, 08:27 AM
They do look like fun.
I'm going to guess the shop doesn't search them for varieties (unless they are monsters that hit them over the head.)
Probably don't even need to ask you to post any really fun ones you find because I have a felling you would like to share them with us.

VAB2013
11-25-2017, 08:28 AM
Wowzie! I can see a bunch of nice copper coins in that bag! At face value, and just searched for dates... I think you have nothing to loose and everything to gain! No telling what they missed when they were searched. HAVE FUN and let us know how it goes!!!

Petespockets55
11-25-2017, 08:41 AM
.... At face value, and just searched for dates... I think you have nothing to loose and everything to gain! No telling what they missed when they were searched. HAVE FUN and let us know how it goes!!!
Melt value is currently $3.164 per pound on 11/24/2017.
453.59237 grams in a pound

5000 cents x 3.1 grams = 15,500 grams
15,500 divided by 453.59237 grams in a pound = 34.17 lbs

3.417 x $3.164/lb = $108.12 for the bag?

$108.12 divided by 5000 cents = 2.2 cents each

Still going to be piles of fun searching.

TPring
11-25-2017, 08:56 AM
He said that they have a 'kid' search them for 'date only' [did not think to ask], not for variety.

It sounded like they arrived as is but, the bag is sealed so not sure how they did that. Sounded like he bought out another coin shop.

They were actually only $85 [didn't do the math at the time]: Discount on two bags [just couldn't justify].:tinysmile_hmm_t:

I was in awe and didn't think too much.

Now just need to study up on varieties from that period.:nerd:

On a side note: saw a gorgeous purple toned [proof] 30's LC. Never seen anything like it. WOW

engine823
11-25-2017, 10:24 AM
I used to separate and sell LC's like that. I never looked them for anything. They are easy to separate with a ryedale machine and a quick turn over profit.

jfines69
11-25-2017, 03:03 PM
Nice grab... You know your addicted to searching Lincolns when your coworkers ask what's in your brown bag lunch and you pore out $25.00 in pennies :LOL_Hair:

GrumpyEd
11-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Looks like fun searching. You never know what searched means, most collectors search by date and grade and only some search for varieties and less search for small varieties. I always say no bag is fully searched, I can find something even searching ones I've already searched.

I said it before, most dealers get a lot of Lincolns that come with collections. They get rolls and bags and often it's stuff that they can't sell easily because few people walk in and buy rolls or bags of memorials and some dealers don't sell online. My guess is they cleaned up and cleared out a bunch and figured they can take it to the bank at face or make some customers happy by putting it out in bags. You can't go wrong to get a bunch at face value, search em, put together a roll of each date and cash the leftovers in.