PDA

View Full Version : I think I finally found a 2017-P 1¢ WDDO-006. Let me know what you think.

makecents
12-03-2017, 09:04 AM
I thought I had this one one other time but was wrong. See what you guys think. I believe it's a later die state than what is on Wexler's site because of the more advanced crack on the forehead. http://doubleddie.com/2318537.html

Thanks for any input, Jon.

VAB2013
12-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Jon, I think that's it! Liberty looks good and the marker die gouge (dot) does too. I'm still puzzled about the die crack on the forehead though and even though your photos are very good, I'm still look at that. A pre-die crack depression is something I am not familiar with and it would be interesting to know more about that.

makecents
12-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Thanks Viv!! Yeah, we went through this about the pre die crack the last time I thought I had a 006 but it is in the right location and looks to be a later die state possibly.

joel
12-05-2017, 07:42 PM
Nice comeback on this one Jon!!

Petespockets55
12-06-2017, 01:15 AM
My hats off to you Jon.
Don't think I would spot that one. There's not much difference between the left and right side on the Y.

makecents
12-06-2017, 02:32 AM
Nice comeback on this one Jon!!
Thanks Larry!! The last time it ended up being a 002.

makecents
12-06-2017, 02:36 AM
My hats off to you Jon.
Don't think I would spot that one. There's not much difference between the left and right side on the Y.
Thanks Cliff!! I don't think I noticed the slight doubling at first, the forehead caught my eye and then I looked for the other marker.

jfines69
12-06-2017, 04:17 AM
Nice find... I am not sure if it is Wexlers 006 or not but since the others believe it is then I will go with 006... These 2017P DDOs are really giving me a tough time... I must be old :LOL_Hair:

makecents
12-06-2017, 02:22 PM
Nice find... I am not sure if it is Wexlers 006 or not but since the others believe it is then I will go with 006... These 2017P DDOs are really giving me a tough time... I must be old :LOL_Hair:

Any other pics help Jim? I was trying find other unlisted markers in Wexlers pics for comparison but could not see any. Do you not think the listed markers line up?

jfines69
12-06-2017, 02:28 PM
To me the pre-crack on Wexlers 006 is straight and yours looks arced... Also the top horizontal bar on the E in LIBERTY looks off to me??? Like I said tho these 17Ps are really giving me a tough time... Maybe if I find a few it will finally sink in on what I am missing :LOL_Hair:

makecents
12-06-2017, 03:08 PM
To me the pre-crack on Wexlers 006 is straight and yours looks arced... Also the top horizontal bar on the E in LIBERTY looks off to me??? Like I said tho these 17Ps are really giving me a tough time... Maybe if I find a few it will finally sink in on what I am missing :LOL_Hair:
I'll pull it out and get some better pics, these were not the best. You can check out and see what you think. The last 006 I thought I had you attributed as a 002.

VAB2013
12-06-2017, 04:41 PM

Jim that pre die crack depression looks odd to me too but I thought maybe it's just different angles of the pics and lighting. I tried to research pre die crack depression and the only thing that came up was other denomination of coins and no pictures of what was described. Don't recall any "pre die crack depressions" on any other Lincoln cent attributions I have seen and to me it looks like PSD.

makecents
12-06-2017, 04:49 PM
Man, I really am bad at the shiney pics. The "E" and the "R" in Wexlers pic looks to have taken a hit too, if that makes any difference. See what ya think.

VAB2013
12-06-2017, 05:43 PM
Man, I really am bad at the shiney pics. The "E" and the "R" in Wexlers pic looks to have taken a hit too, if that makes any difference. See what ya think.

Jon, it's not your pics it's the shiny Shield's fault LOL! You are doing just fine! Yes, the E and R did take a hit like you said. I think your die dot marker is spot on. It's hard to tell about the die crack because we are looking at two different pic sizes and die states. We'll see what Jim and the others think.

jfines69
12-07-2017, 03:30 AM
The die dot does look spot on just a little larger... The E and R on Wexlers did take a hit and that most likely is throwing me off there... The pre-crack depression on Wexlers sample looks incuse on the coin which relates to in relief on the die... If it were a pre-crack or a chip I would expect the die to be incuse and in relief on the coin??? I do not know enough about the pre-crack depression theory to make things click... On a pre-crack depression does the shape change as it progresses into a crack??? Your images are good with the 2nd set being better... Shiney coins are not easy to get pics of unless you are Ray Parkhurst or Jason Cuv. :LOL_Hair: Since all of you believe your coin to be 006 then that is what I am going with... I have nothing to say 100% it is not 006 and that is no problem by me... Remember I'm old :LOL_Hair:

makecents
12-07-2017, 03:44 AM
The die dot does look spot on just a little larger... The E and R on Wexlers did take a hit and that most likely is throwing me off there... The pre-crack depression on Wexlers sample looks incuse on the coin which relates to in relief on the die... If it were a pre-crack or a chip I would expect the die to be incuse and in relief on the coin??? I do not know enough about the pre-crack depression theory to make things click... On a pre-crack depression does the shape change as it progresses into a crack??? Your images are good with the 2nd set being better... Shiney coins are not easy to get pics of unless you are Ray Parkhurst or Jason Cuv. :LOL_Hair: Since all of you believe your coin to be 006 then that is what I am going with... I have nothing to say 100% it is not 006 and that is no problem by me... Remember I'm old :LOL_Hair:
You have done nothing but help me every step of the way Jim and I appreciate it! Let me know if you ever want me to send you anything to look at, even if it's for your peace of mind. And by the way, I would put your pics up there with anyone's! I was not sure but thought where this may be a later die state with the crack on the forehead, that also might be why the dot marker looks to be larger. Just a thought.

jfines69
12-07-2017, 04:05 AM
You have done nothing but help me every step of the way Jim and I appreciate it! Let me know if you ever want me to send you anything to look at, even if it's for your peace of mind. And by the way, I would put your pics up there with anyone's! I was not sure but thought where this may be a later die state with the crack on the forehead, that also might be why the dot marker looks to be larger. Just a thought.
Definite on the later die state... Glad I could help... Always remember - I am not one of the pros and I always over anal eyes :LOL_Hair: Thanks Jon!!!
Jim

jfines69
01-06-2018, 04:16 AM
Jon has let me take an in hand look at this coin and get some pics... Thank you Jon... I really appreciate it... Now for what I have found - This coin does not appear to be WDDO-006 http://doubleddie.com/2318537.html The fore head crack on Jons coin is much farther east than the sample on Wexlers... Also the die dot between the D and W on Jons is to far north... I also have done a little research on the top horizontal bar of the E in LIBERTY and I believe it is a part of the DDO... I have looked back thru Wexlers listings of the shield DDOs and have found several that exhibit the same distortion and appear to be highly similar in the direction of the doubling - Here is the list -

http://doubleddie.com/845597.html

2017-P 1¢ WDDO-007

2016 1¢ WDDO-006

2015 1¢ WDDO-002 (Lesser extent)

2015 1¢ WDDO-005

2015 1¢ WDDO-008

2015 1¢ WDDO-018

2015 1¢ WDDO-022

2015 1¢ WDDO-026

2015 1¢ WDDO-027 (Lesser extent)

2013 1¢ WDDO-009

2012 1¢ WDDO-004

2012 1¢ WDDO-006

I did look thru the entire 2017P listed DDOs on Wexlers but was unable to find a match for Jons coin... I think Jons is a new DDO???

makecents
01-06-2018, 04:39 AM
Nice work Jim!! Once again, fantastic pics!! I can't thank you enough for looking at this and the other coin too! So you think this one is worth sending to Mr. Wexler then?

jfines69
01-06-2018, 06:17 AM
Nice work Jim!! Once again, fantastic pics!! I can't thank you enough for looking at this and the other coin too! So you think this one is worth sending to Mr. Wexler then?
You are very welcome... I appreciate you letting me look at these in hand... They are actually very nice DDOs... If it were mine I would send it in or on my end I would add it to my batch to send in :LOL_Hair:

Petespockets55
01-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Nice find Jon.
Jim, is that a die scratch or blister under the L of LIBERTY going west to the rim. Looks like it could make a nice marker if from the die.

jfines69
01-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Nice find Jon.
Jim, is that a die scratch or blister under the L of LIBERTY going west to the rim. Looks like it could make a nice marker if on the die.
Good catch... I didn't notice it before :LOL_Hair:

makecents
01-06-2018, 05:13 PM
You are very welcome... I appreciate you letting me look at these in hand... They are actually very nice DDOs... If it were mine I would send it in or on my end I would add it to my batch to send in :LOL_Hair:

I will send it out with some others eventually. I have a couple so far.

makecents
01-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Nice find Jon.
Jim, is that a die scratch or blister under the L of LIBERTY going west to the rim. Looks like it could make a nice marker if on the die.
Thanks Cliff!! Hopefully a few discoveries for all of us this year! We'll see what the MAN says.

jfines69
01-07-2018, 04:09 AM
I will send it out with some others eventually. I have a couple so far.
I have like 20 coins that need attributions :LOL_Hair:

makecents
01-07-2018, 04:53 AM
Hah hah hah! It's all starting to make sense now. That's why it's taking so long for Mr. Wexler to get to mine, I've got the Jim's of the world sending in rolls to get attributed!:LOL_Hair:

makecents
01-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Just wanted to share that I received my coins back today from Jim and got two bonus coins from the penny fairy!! Jim sent me one of his discovery coins, (2015 P WDDO-020) and an elusive coin I have not been able to find (1998 P RDV-006). I'm hoping this will open the WAM floodgates! Thank you Jim!!

jfines69
01-09-2018, 02:56 PM
Just wanted to share that I received my coins back today from Jim and got two bonus coins from the penny fairy!! Jim sent me one of his discovery coins, (2015 P WDDO-020) and an elusive coin I have not been able to find (1998 P RDV-006). I'm hoping this will open the WAM floodgates! Thank you Jim!!
Those are from the Penny Fairy :LOL_Hair: You are very welcome Jon!!!