PDA

View Full Version : 2015 1¢ WDDR-003 I think.

makecents
12-09-2017, 12:57 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the 003 but would like verification. The crack on the shield does not look quite as developed and may be a slightly earlier die state. I also did not see any mention of the South to North spread on JB. Any thoughts would be appreciated. http://doubleddie.com/1542214.html

Thanks, Jon.

jfines69
12-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Well you got me on this one :LOL_Hair: AMERICA and JFM look rite on with Wexlers 003 but UNITED STATES OF and LB are not even mentioned??? There is only one 2015 DDR listed on VV but it does not match either... STATES OF looks close to Wexlers 006 http://doubleddie.com/1542214.html but not UNITED or the inits??? Maybe Bob will chime in!!!

makecents
12-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Well you got me on this one :LOL_Hair: AMERICA and JFM look rite on with Wexlers 003 but UNITED STATES OF and LB are not even mentioned??? There is only one 2015 DDR listed on VV but it does not match either... STATES OF looks close to Wexlers 006 http://doubleddie.com/1542214.html but not UNITED or the inits??? Maybe Bob will chime in!!!
There were only a couple that even had the correct directional spread, most are West to East instead of the South to North spread on this one.

Petespockets55
12-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Those initials really look impressive.
Very nice find whichever it turns out to be.

makecents
12-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Those initials really look impressive.
Very nice find whichever it turns out to be.
Thank you Cliff!! I thought the letters look like there was a spread as I came around the coin, (I usually start at UNITED and go clockwise) but when I got to the initials it was apparent that I had a DDR.

VAB2013
12-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Very nice DDR find Jon, Congrats! It needs to snow more often in Virgina, and it probably will, you are on a nice roll! I'm thinking it's a new listing, nothing seems to match it!

How does EPU look? Any distortion there? I'm seeing some when I zoom into your full reverse photo but zooming in is making it blurry on my screen.

jfines69
12-10-2017, 04:27 AM
There were only a couple that even had the correct directional spread, most are West to East instead of the South to North spread on this one.
I took another look and agree with Vivien... This looks to be a new listing... Nothing matches... EPU is also looking distorted... Incuse items on a coin look thinner when doubled!!!

makecents
12-10-2017, 06:21 AM
Thanks Viv and Jim! That would be cool. Here are some pics, was having a hard time with closeups of this area where it rolls around the shield. Let me know if you need anything else. I also noticed a crack in the shield above UNUM which I don't recall seeing before, it's usually on the west side. Thanks again for all your help!

VAB2013
12-10-2017, 07:09 AM
Thanks Viv and Jim! That would be cool. Here are some pics, was having a hard time with closeups of this area where it rolls around the shield. Let me know if you need anything else. I also noticed a crack in the shield above UNUM which I don't recall seeing before, it's usually on the west side. Thanks again for all your help!

You have nice distortion at EPU! Congrats Jon, looks to me like you have a brand spanking new listing! Whooo hooo!!! WTG

makecents
12-10-2017, 10:12 AM
You have nice distortion at EPU! Congrats Jon, looks to me like you have a brand spanking new listing! Whooo hooo!!! WTG
What would be the correct way to go from here? Do I just follow the directions on Wexlers site to send in or does he look at posts here to analyze? I thought I saw a recent post on how to PM him from here but cannot find it and could not find it searching the members either.

By the way Viv, thank you!!:)

VAB2013
12-10-2017, 10:26 AM
What would be the correct way to go from here? Do I just follow the directions on Wexlers site to send in or does he look at posts here to analyze? I thought I saw a recent post on how to PM him from here but cannot find it and could not find it searching the members either.

By the way Viv, thank you!!:)

You are very welcome Jon! I do feel better about what I said since Jim has also looked your coin over thoroughly! Thank you Jim!

Jon, what I would do is send Mr. Wexler an email with some photos and a link to your thread and let him proceed from there. Congrats!!!

makecents
12-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Thank you Viv and Jim!! As always I appreciate all your help!:wink:

VAB2013
12-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Thank you Viv and Jim!! As always I appreciate all your help!:wink:

You got it Jon! This is exciting, please keep us posted!

jfines69
12-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Wow... Thanks for the follow up pics... Looks like nice distortion to me also... I'm in with the new listing... I'll cross my toes until we find out... I would cross my fingers but that makes it to hard to type :LOL_Hair:

makecents
12-10-2017, 08:06 PM
You two are great!! As soon as I hear something back I'll let you know.:D

makecents
12-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Mr. Wexler told me to send it on, so it will go out tomorrow and I'll let you know when I know.

VAB2013
12-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Mr. Wexler told me to send it on, so it will go out tomorrow and I'll let you know when I know.

That is awesome news Jon! Looks like a new listing in progress! Congrats and thank you for the updates!

jfines69
12-12-2017, 04:19 AM
Cool... Thanks for the follow up... Can't wait to see the outcome... Sounds like a new listing to me!!!

makecents
02-15-2018, 01:28 PM
So.... I got my coin back today and he said it was an existing listing. WDDO-016. I'm really confused but who am I to question. Maybe just MD on the reverse.

jfines69
02-15-2018, 01:33 PM
So.... I got my coin back today and he said it was an existing listing. WDDO-016. I'm really confused but who am I to question. Maybe just MD on the reverse.
WDDO-016??? If that is the case I think he got the coins mixed up??? Maybe send him an email???

Added - Check and make sure he returned the correct coin!!!

makecents
02-15-2018, 03:59 PM
It may be a WDDO-016 too but I'm still confused. He contacted me about being covered up and told me what it was and I had replied to him asking if he had it mixed up with another but he didn't respond. I figured I would wait until I got it back and check it again. It's the same coin I sent him though. Here are some pics of the WDDO-016 areas. A little disappointed but it will be all good.

VAB2013
02-15-2018, 04:42 PM
Jon, when you submitted the coin did you include something that stated you thought it was an unlisted DDR in the package? The reason I am wondering is if it was not in with the package, he may not have connected your coin with the email you sent. I'm still comparing your find to WDDO-016 but right off I noticed the Shield die crack is different (maybe he saw your coin as an earlier die state)

I'm not very qualified, but I really think you have an unlisted DDR. Everything I see points in that direction. The thickness of LB, I see notching on JFM and I really think that is distortion at EPU and not die wear related.

Please PM Bob a link to this thread and ask him to look for you. You might want to include the post # of the EPU photos since they are not on the first page.

makecents
02-15-2018, 05:11 PM
This is the flip I put it in and that is his writing below mine stating it is a WDDO-016. I would not think he would have overlooked that and an sent a letter with it too.

VAB2013
02-15-2018, 05:15 PM
This is the flip I put it in and that is his writing below mine stating it is a WDDO-016. I would not think he would have overlooked that and an sent a letter with it too.

I would not think so either Jon. Now I'm probably just as confused as you are! Please PM Bob so he can help our poor confused minds :(

mustbebob
02-15-2018, 05:33 PM
Sorry folks, I haven't got a clue about this. I have not attributed any newer coins since the last ones I posted on coppercoins in 2013. I can not speak for John Wexler, nor will I attempt to understand or circumvent anything he has addressed or attributed. That would be unprofessional without the proper protocol. He has seen these coins, I have not. I am afraid any attribution questions from this date and these coins have to be addressed by Wexler.

makecents
02-15-2018, 05:37 PM
Sorry folks, I haven't got a clue about this. I have not attributed any newer coins since the last ones I posted on coppercoins in 2013. I can not speak for John Wexler, nor will I attempt to understand or circumvent anything he has addressed or attributed. That would be unprofessional without the proper protocol. He has seen these coins, I have not. I am afraid any attribution questions from this date and these coins have to be addressed by Wexler.Thank you sir!! I kind of felt like there may be a rub there. Thank you for your quick response though Bob and I totally understand your stand.

VAB2013
02-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Thank you very much Bob for explaining this for us. I apologize, I didn't think about the professional ramifications and other things involved.

GrumpyEd
02-15-2018, 07:22 PM
He might be really busy, explain clearly that you were thinking DDR not DDO and ask him to check if something might have got mixed up. Give him time and see what he says.

makecents
02-15-2018, 07:55 PM
He might be really busy, explain clearly that you were thinking DDR not DDO and ask him to check if something might have got mixed up. Give him time and see what he says.Yes sir. This is an email I sent him earlier tonight in hopes he may want to look at it again.

Mr. Wexler, I recently got back a 2015 P Lincoln Cent that you attributed as a WDDO-016 and I had actually thought it may be a new DDR. I have sent a few pics of the areas in question and also the areas related to what you have attributed it as. As I know you are extremely covered up right now, let me know when you have time if I have any validity in the DDR.

VAB2013
02-15-2018, 08:00 PM
Very nice and well explained email Jon! Looking forward to hearing about Mr. Wexler's reply. Thank you Ed for your insight!

jfines69
02-16-2018, 04:12 AM
I'm no pro either and we all must remember that no one is perfect... Being inundated with attributions and emails can be overwhelming especially when dealing with personal issues... I am sure that Wexler will fix anything that he may have mixed up and it may take a bit... Now back to Jons coin... I do not see a crack in the hair on Jons coin that Wexlers 016 http://doubleddie.com/1542214.html shows as an obv marker so that would indicate an earlier die stage... The crack on the rev does not look to match at all??? On 016 the crack looks to stop north of the R in EPU and Jons continues well past with a chip toward the east end which to me indicates a different rev??? I am also not sure it matches as a DDO??? Unless the shadow on Wexlers image is throwing me off the east arm on Wexlers sample looks thicker than the west arm and on Jons the east arm looks thinner than the west???

makecents
02-17-2018, 05:30 AM
So I got a fairly quick response from Mr. Wexler considering what he has on his plate right now. He was extremely apologetic and could not believe he had overlooked it and told me to send it back to him. Jim had said something about personal issues and did not think much about it at the time but on top of everything else, Mr. Wexler is also dealing with Parkinson's Disease. I felt like such a heal worrying about my little DDR! I told him I would send back and to get to it when got to it, absolutely no hurry. Am I correct in the fact that he is one of only two that are professionally attributing in the U.S. outside of the TPG's? I cannot imagine what he and Dr. Wiles have in front of them!

VAB2013
02-17-2018, 06:48 AM
So I got a fairly quick response from Mr. Wexler considering what he has on his plate right now. He was extremely apologetic and could not believe he had overlooked it and told me to send it back to him. Jim had said something about personal issues and did not think much about it at the time but on top of everything else, Mr. Wexler is also dealing with Parkinson's Disease. I felt like such a heal worrying about my little DDR! I told him I would send back and to get to it when got to it, absolutely no hurry. Am I correct in the fact that he is one of only two that are professionally attributing in the U.S. outside of the TPG's? I cannot imagine what he and Dr. Wiles have in front of them!

Thank you Jon for letting us know! I'm so sorry to hear about Mr. Wexler's illness and wish for all good things for him and his family. Although there are many professional attributers, Mr. Wexler and Dr. Wiles are the two who have active running websites for us to compare our finds to as far as doubled dies go so I am sure they are both extremely busy.

I know you don't want to feel like a bother to anyone, but this is how our hobby progresses. Can you imagine how cool it is for Mr. Wexler, Dr. Wiles, and Bob to see all of the discovery coins that they get to see, attribute and photograph! They enjoy this hobby every bit as much or more than we do!

jfines69
02-17-2018, 11:40 AM
I figured he would fix it... He has made some mistakes in the past and has always fixed it... I do not know of any other professional attributers out there but that doesn't mean there isn't!!!

makecents
02-28-2018, 04:55 AM
After Viv posted her 2015 P WDDR-003, I went back and looked at the one I had sent to Wexler and I'm sure it's an 003.

VAB2013
02-28-2018, 07:01 AM
After Viv posted her 2015 P WDDR-003, I went back and looked at the one I had sent to Wexler and I'm sure it's an 003.

Glad that helped Jon, what is it that made you sure it's the WDDR-003? Do you think yours is an earlier die state too?

makecents
02-28-2018, 07:38 AM
Glad that helped Jon, what is it that made you sure it's the WDDR-003? Do you think yours is an earlier die state too?One of the things that made us think it might be a new listing was the fact that Wexler did not have any mention of the LB like yours has. Yours looks exactly like mine and I looked at all the other attributes and markers and they match up. So I have two of the 003's now!

jfines69
02-28-2018, 01:27 PM
I am still not sure yours is 003... There are a couple of chips north of the U and R of EPU on yours that if yours was an earlier die state would be larger on Wexlers sample http://doubleddie.com/1542214.html and if yours was later you should have the larger chip at least??? Also the crack just north of the P on yours appears to drop south before the crack on Wexlers??? Then again my crack sensors may have failed :LOL_Hair:

VAB2013
02-28-2018, 01:52 PM
I am still not sure yours is 003... There are a couple of chips north of the U and R of EPU on yours that if yours was an earlier die state would be larger on Wexlers sample http://doubleddie.com/1542214.html and if yours was later you should have the larger chip at least??? Also the crack just north of the P on yours appears to drop south before the crack on Wexlers??? Then again my crack sensors may have failed :LOL_Hair:

This is interesting Jon and Jim! Guess we will have to wait and see what Mr. Wexler says!

makecents
02-28-2018, 02:46 PM
Pretty sure I've found enough markers to show it's a 003. I took pics of areas that Wexler also shows and have arrows pointing at gouges, chips and flow lines that can be seen on both. The larger chip on the shield is either there but toned or has fallen off and left a slight shadow. Either way, I can see what is or was there just like Wexlers pic. Then there is the LB which matches Viv's even though Wexler did not list.http://doubleddie.com/1542214.html

Let me know what you think. Thanks, Jon.

VAB2013
02-28-2018, 04:28 PM
Jon, I've added a few more photos to my post with descriptions to see if we can narrow it down some more. Please check them and see what you think.

makecents
02-28-2018, 04:39 PM
Jon, I've added a few more photos to my post with descriptions to see if we can narrow it down some more. Please check them and see what you think. Where did you add them? I don't see any pics on yours or my post.

VAB2013
02-28-2018, 04:44 PM
Where did you add them? I don't see any pics on yours or my post.

I think you are faster getting there than I am getting them posted. They are on my thread :)

makecents
02-28-2018, 04:55 PM
For the most part, it looks like a match to me! I'm calling it a 003. We'll see what Jim has to say. There are just too many markers lining up.

makecents
02-28-2018, 04:59 PM
Thanks Viv!! You're like the Sherlock Holmes of markers!!

VAB2013
02-28-2018, 05:11 PM
Thanks Viv!! You're like the Sherlock Holmes of markers!!

You are welcome Jon! You sound pretty confident this is an 003 and I think I saw earlier that Jim is not 100% sure, so it will be fun to see how this unfolds :)

makecents
02-28-2018, 05:18 PM
You are welcome Jon! You sound pretty confident this is an 003 and I think I saw earlier that Jim is not 100% sure, so it will be fun to see how this unfolds :)Trust me, Jim is one of the last people I would second guess but I really feel all the markers I showed pics of will tell the tale. If he had the coin in hand he would have known. He's just using my crappy pics to make his attribution.:angel:

makecents
03-01-2018, 03:27 AM
Hey Jim, I put some new pics back on post #40 if you have a chance to take a look. Thanks!!

jfines69
03-01-2018, 03:48 AM
Good pics too Jon... Would it be ok to download the last batch of pics??? I think the shadows on Wexlers images may be causing me some issues... I would like to do some overlays... I can't post them but I can email them to you... By the way it is good to second guess... I am far from a pro!!!

makecents
03-01-2018, 05:37 AM
Thank you sir!! You have at it. You are more than welcome to do overlays. I appreciate it!:)

jfines69
03-01-2018, 11:19 AM
Thank you sir!! You have at it. You are more than welcome to do overlays. I appreciate it!:)
Thanks Jon!!!

jfines69
03-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Well I did overlays and I hate to tell you this but I think you are correct on it being 003... If you want I can email them to you??? The did the rev markers and the only one that does not make sense is the shield crack... When I align the visible portions of the letters the crack on yours is slightly south of Wexlers sample http://doubleddie.com/1542214.html When I align the crack the letters of yours slide north??? Also the other small chips along your crack do not show up on Wexlers sample??? If yours is an earlier die state then they should be on Wexlers and if yours is the same state or later the larger chip on yours should be there as the chips do not fall out??? Could just be my old age :LOL_Hair:

makecents
03-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Well I did overlays and I hate to tell you this but I think you are correct on it being 003... If you want I can email them to you??? The did the rev markers and the only one that does not make sense is the shield crack... When I align the visible portions of the letters the crack on yours is slightly south of Wexlers sample http://doubleddie.com/1542214.html When I align the crack the letters of yours slide north??? Also the other small chips along your crack do not show up on Wexlers sample??? If yours is an earlier die state then they should be on Wexlers and if yours is the same state or later the larger chip on yours should be there as the chips do not fall out??? Could just be my old age :LOL_Hair:Nice work Jim!! I think the chip is there but hidden by toning. I didn't know if you could see the shadow of it I was talking about. It would be great if you would email it so I can see your fantastic as always work!! I'll PM you and thanks again sir!!:)

VAB2013
03-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Well Jon, we were all hoping for a new listing for you on this one. But it's always good to solve these mysterious ones, you and Jim have done a great job at that!

makecents
03-01-2018, 05:52 PM
Yeah, it would have been cool but your post of the 003 made me look again and I knew better.:tinysmile_hmm_t: Maybe next time!!

jfines69
03-02-2018, 04:09 AM
I emailed your overlays... Thanks again Jon!!!

makecents
03-02-2018, 10:56 AM
I emailed your overlays... Thanks again Jon!!!Thank you sir!! They look great and look to be spot on. I could see how the shield shot could easily be displaced by the coin or camera being at a slight angle though. 003 it is!

jfines69
03-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Thank you sir!! They look great and look to be spot on. I could see how the shield shot could easily be displaced by the coin or camera being at a slight angle though. 003 it is!
I do believe the angle of Wexlers image is at a minor angle and that caused me to be off... If I were to stretch your image north then the letters would be elongated making the overlay totally out of wack... The little chips on yours that I see make me wonder if those are actually gas bubbles???