PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln 2009s

MiciDragan
12-21-2017, 07:08 PM
Hi All,

In April this year I saw a proof set of 2009 coins in a shop which had some nice tone developing cents. At that time bought a silver dollar so I didn't spend too much money and left the set. Had my way around the corner today and check if the coins were still there. Got a small discount and purchased the entire set for $21.38

The thing is that when I watched them in the shop with a 10x loupe, I didn't see all the spots and scratches on the coin. At home in the indoor light they all appear clearly. I am somewhat puzzled about this and not longer sure if I did a good purchase or not. How can proof coins be scratched and develop so many spots while encapsulated?

Must say that I am very tempted to open the plastic somehow and have a closer look at the coin in order to distinguish plastic defects from real spots and scratches. Do you know how to do that without ruining the plastic holder?

Mici

enamel7
12-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Maybe the case is scratched instead of the coins. I don't remember what the containers the proof sets came in. I'll try to find pics.

enamel7
12-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Okay, I looked and it's the correct container. Still hoping it's the panel that's scratched and not the coins.

GrumpyEd
12-21-2017, 09:34 PM
I doubt they'd be scratched in the case.

The 4 cent set of proofs came in 3 different sets.
You got a flag design like that in the regular proof set and in the silver proof set.
You got a blue design in the copper legacy proof set and it only has the 4 proof cents and no other coins.

There are 20 different 2009 cents, it makes a neat little set.

4 zinc P from regular bus strikes.
4 zinc D from regular bus strikes.
4 copper S proofs from any of the 3 different proof sets.
4 copper P satin from mint set.
4 copper D satin from mint set.

jfines69
12-22-2017, 04:25 AM
I'm with the others... If you can not find any evidence of the slabbed being tampered with the scratches are most likely on the case... As for the spots and toning the case may not be sealed completely... I do not know how the mint does their cases???

MiciDragan
12-22-2017, 03:31 PM
New better images.

MiciDragan
12-22-2017, 03:35 PM
Last images

VAB2013
12-22-2017, 04:45 PM
Very nicely toned proof set Mici! I'm thinking the same, that it's the case that is scratched. Your photos look really good, and in some of them you can definitely tell the scratches are on the case. I don't think it takes away from the nice proof coins you have!

jfines69
12-23-2017, 04:12 AM
Not easy to get pics of those shiney coins... Looks to be scratches on the cases... Thanks for the follow up pics!!!