View Full Version : 1961D-1MM-081

VAB2013
01-01-2018, 07:36 PM
I'm a newbie at RPM's, well I have found a few but have not tried to attribute them yet. Did I get this one right?

I thought it looked like doubling inside. Lower split is deep, can't really see the top one if it's there. Checked CC 15, 72, 77 and wound up with 81 looking like a better match.

Thank you for looking and helping out!

makecents
01-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Everything looks pretty good to me Viv. The mm orientation and the die dot at the neck. Not sure about the markers at the "N" though. You are much braver than me jumping into the 60's mm's. I'll try again but the last time I didn't think I would make it out alive!:squigglemouth: Maybe Larry or Jim will chime it.

VAB2013
01-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Everything looks pretty good to me Viv. The mm orientation and the die dot at the neck. Not sure about the markers at the "N" though. You are much braver than me jumping into the 60's mm's. I'll try again but the last time I didn't think I would make it out alive!:squigglemouth: Maybe Larry or Jim will chime it.

Thank you Jon! Well, I'm just getting my feet wet. I may think differently after trying to figure out a couple more of them, but hey... it's a New Year, let's jump in and go for it!

VAB2013
01-02-2018, 04:27 AM
Bob's attribution notes refer to Master Die Doubling on the O of God and light doubling on the neck, confuses me a little. I labeled the pic master die doubling, but it should be machine doubling I think, considering what it looks like. Is that right?

TPring
01-02-2018, 06:54 AM
Nice find.

As has been noted previously, the RPMs can be vicious but, fun. I have a few similar to yours [split and double-split serifs] that I have just put on the back-burner because of available time and info].

The pics are looking good -- Nice coloring. Are you using a natural light or LEDs?
Some of my close-ups are looking like charcoal drawings.:LOL_Hair:

edit: although the markers on the reverse are difficult to see

joel
01-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Vivien, I found one last year but could not confirm it by die markers. My MM looks higher than yours. (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?41650-1961D-1MM-081&highlight=1961D-1MM-081) I filed mine and marked it an 081?.

VAB2013
01-02-2018, 08:39 PM
Nice find.

As has been noted previously, the RPMs can be vicious but, fun. I have a few similar to yours [split and double-split serifs] that I have just put on the back-burner because of available time and info].

The pics are looking good -- Nice coloring. Are you using a natural light or LEDs?
Some of my close-ups are looking like charcoal drawings.:LOL_Hair:

edit: although the markers on the reverse are difficult to see

Thank you TPring! I keep going back to Ray's notes on the Celestron and trying to stick with what he said works best. I noticed the settings want to revert to 1 MP and so I check to be sure it's set to 3 MP, then resizing it to 1024x768. I cannot duplicate Ray's lighting but have tried to use less LED's and more "daylight" and just regular incandescent light. Like you said, it's a work in progress!

VAB2013
01-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Vivien, I found one last year but could not confirm it by die markers. My MM looks higher than yours. (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?41650-1961D-1MM-081&highlight=1961D-1MM-081) I filed mine and marked it an 081?.

Thank you Larry J for taking a look. I was wondering if this one, or one similar had crossed your path. Into a flip it goes.

jfines69
01-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Nice RPM Vivien... Yours looks is farther south and east plus it looks rotated CCW some what compared to CCs 081 http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1961&die_id=1961d1mm081&die_state=mds The location and angles of the splits do not look correct either... I did a quick look but was unable to match any at this time!!!

VAB2013
01-03-2018, 03:19 PM
Nice RPM Vivien... Yours looks is farther south and east plus it looks rotated CCW some what compared to CCs 081 http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1961&die_id=1961d1mm081&die_state=mds The location and angles of the splits do not look correct either... I did a quick look but was unable to match any at this time!!!

Thank you Jim for taking a look! It's always a nice confirmation coming from you, let's me know I'm doing okay at keeping on track!

jfines69
01-05-2018, 04:28 AM
You are doing fine Vivien... A lot of RPMs are not easy to attribute first time around!!!