PDA

View Full Version : 1984P does this reverse look doubled?

VAB2013
01-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Does this look like the doubling on an 84P DDR? Not in the best shape, but it got my attention.

stoneman227
01-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Viv , I have had lighting give a doubled look in this area and fool me , http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/showthread.php?37545-1989-DDR-Unlisted&highlight=1989+ddr , but it sure does appear to have some doubling going on !

John

enamel7
01-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Hit the light from a different direction and see how it looks.

VAB2013
01-03-2018, 09:26 PM
Thank you John for taking a look and helping! Here is another angle on the R - AMERICA, and the E-ONE and T-CENT. I'm really trying to get a decent pic but this little Lincoln is kicking my tail!

Going to drop it in some mineral oil for the night and call it a day :tinysmile_sleep_t:

VAB2013
01-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Hit the light from a different direction and see how it looks.

Thank you enamel! How are you doing bud! LOL... I've been fooling around with this one for about 30 minutes! It's ugly for one thing and the color is weird even though my LED's make everything purple! But, it would just be nice to know if what I'm seeing is something... or just lights messing with me :)

GrumpyEd
01-03-2018, 09:33 PM
That might be where the edge of the letter has a ramp instead of a sharp edge maybe from die wear then light catches it and makes it look like a split. You can probably tell best in hand with a loupe instead of a scope because you have quicker control of the angles and lighting.

VAB2013
01-03-2018, 09:39 PM
That might be where the edge of the letter has a ramp instead of a sharp edge maybe from die wear then light catches it and makes it look like a split. You can probably tell best in hand with a loupe instead of a scope because you have quicker control of the angles and lighting.

Thank you Ed! Well, when I look with my loupe it looks about the same but not as detailed. What is Bob referring to on the E of One, is there like a split on the center horizontal? Also, the T CENT has separation on the top of the T and I see that. If I didn't see all the other stuff I would resort to die wear but I'm being stubborn I guess :tinysmile_cry_t:

enamel7
01-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Thank you enamel! How are you doing bud! LOL... I've been fooling around with this one for about 30 minutes! It's ugly for one thing and the color is weird even though my LED's make everything purple! But, it would just be nice to know if what I'm seeing is something... or just lights messing with me :)

I'm doing great Viv! Finished my last in home therapy today. Start outpatient therapy next Wed. I'm ahead of where I was last year, mainly due to all of the setbacks I had. I actually got to drive for the first time today!

VAB2013
01-03-2018, 10:45 PM
I'm doing great Viv! Finished my last in home therapy today. Start outpatient therapy next Wed. I'm ahead of where I was last year, mainly due to all of the setbacks I had. I actually got to drive for the first time today!

That is great news enamel! Wow, already driving! So glad you are doing good and ahead of schedule!

makecents
01-04-2018, 03:03 AM
I ran into similar looking doubling when I started searching with my scope. It is a great piece of equipment but the LED's will create something that is not there sometimes. Enamel and Roller walked me through the same coin I think. It ended up being lighting and deterioration.

hasfam
01-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Hi Viv, I've been out of the game for a while so might be a little rusty, but this looks like an optical illusion from the lighting source. I'm not seeing any doubling, but that's just me.
Rock

mustbebob
01-05-2018, 01:13 PM
There is some precedent for the notching in this year. I list one on coppercoins and John Wexler lists a few. My first opinion is that this is in fact a doubled die.

VAB2013
01-05-2018, 01:59 PM
Hi Viv, I've been out of the game for a while so might be a little rusty, but this looks like an optical illusion from the lighting source. I'm not seeing any doubling, but that's just me.
Rock

Hello Rock! Very nice to see you! Thank you so much for dropping by and taking a look! Hope this means we get to see more of you this year!!!

VAB2013
01-05-2018, 02:08 PM
There is some precedent for the notching in this year. I list one on coppercoins and John Wexler lists a few. My first opinion is that this is in fact a doubled die.

Thank you so much Bob! I'm trying to soak off some of that crud right now and will try again with different lighting but I'm afraid I don't have what it takes on this one. Can I please send it to you?

hasfam
01-05-2018, 02:27 PM
Well, that's great news on the coin attribution. Like I said, I'm a bit rusty (not that I had much skill in the first place LOL).
Yes Viv, great to see you again too. I'm hoping to stick with it this time. Since my ordination in 2014 its been non stop.

VAB2013
01-05-2018, 02:45 PM
Well, that's great news on the coin attribution. Like I said, I'm a bit rusty (not that I had much skill in the first place LOL).
Yes Viv, great to see you again too. I'm hoping to stick with it this time. Since my ordination in 2014 its been non stop.

Thank you Rock! I hope my photos and wishful thinking is not leading us astray! Hopefully I can get it into Bob's hands!

I figured you must have been really busy. Congrats on your ordination, that is a very important role and I am sure you have devoted a great amount of time to it! We have missed you!

jfines69
01-06-2018, 02:20 PM
Did you take a close look at Wexlers 005 and 010 http://doubleddie.com/828844.html Those look fairly close to yours... Your E of AMERICA has the ski slopes going on and a nice slanted notch on the SE of the I that looks real close to 010??? Both 005 and 010 have die scratches around ERIC and it looks like yours does also???

VAB2013
01-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Did you take a close look at Wexlers 005 and 010 http://doubleddie.com/828844.html Those look fairly close to yours... Your E of AMERICA has the ski slopes going on and a nice slanted notch on the SE of the I that looks real close to 010??? Both 005 and 010 have die scratches around ERIC and it looks like yours does also???

Thank you Jim! I just got home from work but I will check those and compare! There no place like home :)

makecents
01-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Thank you Jim! I just got home from work but I will check those and compare! There no place like home :)
Very cool!! I hope you have a nice DDR! I thought it was lighting but the Big Dawgs are backing your play!:)

VAB2013
01-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Very cool!! I hope you have a nice DDR! I thought it was lighting but the Big Dawgs are backing you play!:)

Thank you Jon! This DDR is one I always look for, especially the R of AMERICA and I have memorized the reverse die scratches at the first A of AMERICA on coppercoins.com example to help me find it. It's odd, this coin is not horrible, but not pretty either and has some stains. But, even though it has been treated unfairly, I am not seeing many scratches at all, not really any die flow lines or die scratches. There's some PSD scratches. I am thinking if it is a DDR, it could be an earlier die state. Coppercoins.com example is LDS so I can't match any markers there, but I'm thinking it could be an earlier die state of that one.

I have just put a paper filter on these dang LED lights to see if I can get any better pics.

VAB2013
01-06-2018, 09:45 PM
Jim, I still trying to find some markers but here are the pics I took with the light filter on the scope.

btw... I also just downloaded a trial version of Adobe Photoshop, it took 30 mins to DL and it looks like a great program but I don't think I can figure out what to do with it :|

ERRORCENTS
01-07-2018, 04:18 AM
Viv, it does appear to be a DDR, I can see notching in the "R"
. I have found some of these die's over the years. Patrick

VAB2013
01-07-2018, 07:30 AM
Viv, it does appear to be a DDR, I can see notching in the "R"
. I have found some of these die's over the years. Patrick

Thank you Patrick!! First time I've seen one that looked remotely possible to be a DDR. It's frustrating because I can't find any markers to confirm it but I'm still trying to.

makecents
04-28-2019, 04:56 AM
I hopped in the middle of this thread but did not follow it through. It's weird when going back and looking at an old thread sometimes and wondering how you missed so much of it.... So did you ever send it to Bob?

VAB2013
04-28-2019, 09:12 AM
I hopped in the middle of this thread but did not follow it through. It's weird when going back and looking at an old thread sometimes and wondering how you missed so much of it.... So did you ever send it to Bob?

Jon, the forum has gotten so busy that if you are not here every day it's easy to lose track of what's going on! I have not sent it to Bob yet because I have a couple of rolls of 1984's that I have set aside to study. I am using this one as an example to compare to the other 1984P's because many of them have the same looking R under my scope. I'm trying to adjust lighting and angles to get more accurate results. I hope that the lighting on this one did not mislead Bob into making his decision, especially since I could not find any markers. Once I study this to the extent that I am able to, then I would love to send it to Bob for his professional examination so we will know for sure.

TPring
04-29-2019, 10:59 AM
Also, the T CENT has separation on the top of the T and I see that. If I didn't see all the other stuff I would resort to die wear but I'm being stubborn I guess :tinysmile_cry_t:

You go girl! :) I think you may be onto something here -- Several of those letters look to me like they have splits.

Stick it in a safe spot and keep revisiting it until you are sure it is or is not doubled.

VAB2013
04-29-2019, 11:14 AM
You go girl! :) I think you may be onto something here -- Several of those letters look to me like they have splits.

Stick it in a safe spot and keep revisiting it until you are sure it is or is not doubled.

Thank you very much T! I got real flustered with this and had to set it aside, hoping my skills would get better and try again. I will keep trying but I think it's going to require a different camera set up. I love this Celestron for fast searching and taking pics of easy to see Varieties, but with the LED lights... it's not going to be able to handle this one and many of the others that are tough like this!