PDA

View Full Version : 1988-D Grease or Other?

CoinFaerie
01-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Hi newbie here and I found this interesting coin. It’s very pretty with its color and it’s all over the coin. On the Obverse it looks like Lincoln came down with the Measles or worse. But moreso on the Reverse the Lincoln Memorial looks like it has a full house with guest.

I have another coin with only only minimal grease/bubbling but it’s only located to the left of the memorial. Any thoughts or have any of you had a beauty like this wonderful dot matrix funzie!

mustbebob
01-24-2018, 12:28 PM
Definitely the result of plating bubbles. Most all of the really bad ones are from the 80s. Yours is extreme and is worth keeping as an educational piece.

CoinFaerie
01-24-2018, 12:42 PM
Thanks I really appreciate your helpful information into this spotted gem of mine LOL. I like the color too it’s very nice that makes it into my collection. I’m going to remember this reference “plating bubbles”. Thanks again :)

jfines69
01-24-2018, 02:00 PM
Nice bubbles :LOL_Hair: In mid 1982 the mint switched from a solid planchet for the one cent coin to a copper plated zinc... The plated cents get even worse than yours... Which reverse design variety (RDV) do you have RDV-005 or RDV-006??? Some 1988 cents were minted with the RDV-006 which was intended to be used beginning with 1989... Here is a ref to look at http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20Doubled%20Dies%20Vol%202/Memorial%20Reverse%20Design%20Varieties.htm

CoinFaerie
01-24-2018, 09:17 PM
I checked it and it is a RDV-005 - thanks for the feedback and new reference I’ve saved for future reference. i swear I’m not crazy, I just see things in patterns a go (what is that? Til I’m blue in the face) LOL!

This is is why I like coins so much now — take me a bit longer situating myself at the cash register but I enjoy all of it!

Petespockets55
01-25-2018, 02:42 AM
I checked it and it is a RDV-005 - thanks for the feedback and new reference I’ve saved for future reference. i swear I’m not crazy, I just see things in patterns a go (what is that? Til I’m blue in the face) LOL!

This is is why I like coins so much now — take me a bit longer situating myself at the cash register but I enjoy all of it!
Most of us have done that at one time or another. From our Glossary:

Pareidolia: The phenomenon where people see patterns or objects in otherwise random data. People often “see” extra design elements that aren’t really there in a coin’s damaged areas, plating blisters, stains, etc.

jfines69
01-25-2018, 04:14 AM

Cool... Thanks for the follow up... I save all of my references tho I do lose them from time to time :LOL_Hair: I blame that on the computer :LOL_Hair: Nothing wrong with seeing patterns unless they look back at you and ask what you are doing then you run :LOL_Hair: