PDA

View Full Version : 1960P Small Date? Having a Hard Time

furryfrog02
01-25-2018, 07:06 PM
I pulled this out of box this evening and I am having the hardest time telling if it is a small date or large date. I think it's the die chips on the 6 that are messing me up. I know there are other indicators but the easiest is the 6 for me. I've looked at tons of 60P's and none have made me pause before this one.
What are your thoughts? Am I right or am I crazy? Thanks for looking!
http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=126227&stc=1http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=126228&stc=1

enamel7
01-25-2018, 09:16 PM
Large date.

makecents
01-26-2018, 03:55 AM
Large date.I have issues with these but I keep comparing this to a small date and that's what I see, a small date. I thought you looked at the height of the 9 in comparison to the 1? If I line up the 1 and 0 the 9 looks to fall under it. Am I wrong?

VAB2013
01-26-2018, 04:01 AM
I hate to disagree with enamel because he is great at this... but I took an index card and measured the distance from the top of the 6 to the curve and it came up the same on both coins (on your second pic). Also the zero looks SD, but sometimes circulation wear makes it look that way.

Circulation wear makes the top of the 1 and 9 hard to tell for me. Here's a link

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/1960smalldate.html

jfines69
01-26-2018, 04:23 AM
Your pics of the date are a little blurry but I'm in with the SD or we are crazy :LOL_Hair:

Maineman750
01-26-2018, 04:33 AM
I'm with the small date crowd although the chip makes things difficult I'd say with 80% certainty....would need to have in hand for 100%...top of the 9 looks good.

VAB2013
01-26-2018, 04:38 AM
In your first photo the top of the 6 looks long like a large date, but on your second photo with the comparison it does look more like a small date. If it is, which we think it is, a small date... congrats! 60P SD's are not easy to come by!

erex01
01-26-2018, 09:52 AM
My opinion it's a small date, good find. I actually look at the bottom loop of the 9 as in this pic.
https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/495/small-cents/lincoln-memorial-cent/1960-D/small-date/

enamel7
01-26-2018, 11:48 AM
I guess I was wrong. I can always tell them apart in hand, but pics always confuse me!

dinkyblue
01-26-2018, 12:58 PM
It's a small date.....................dinkyblue

furryfrog02
01-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone! Like I said, this one was hard for me to tell for sure. The height between the 1 and the 9 do look like small date as well as the loop of the 9. I wish the die chips weren't in the 6 because that would be my tell. Glad that the general consensus is that it is a small date and that I am NOT crazy (well at least not this time). This coin came out of my 529th box of cents searched...Not to mention probably 50 bags. Scarce to say the least!

jfines69
01-26-2018, 01:50 PM
Thanks everyone! Like I said, this one was hard for me to tell for sure. The height between the 1 and the 9 do look like small date as well as the loop of the 9. I wish the die chips weren't in the 6 because that would be my tell. Glad that the general consensus is that it is a small date and that I am NOT crazy (well at least not this time). This coin came out of my 529th box of cents searched...Not to mention probably 50 bags. Scarce to say the least!
At least it wasn't the 530th box and 51st bag :LOL_Hair:

makecents
01-26-2018, 03:59 PM
Thanks everyone! Like I said, this one was hard for me to tell for sure. The height between the 1 and the 9 do look like small date as well as the loop of the 9. I wish the die chips weren't in the 6 because that would be my tell. Glad that the general consensus is that it is a small date and that I am NOT crazy (well at least not this time). This coin came out of my 529th box of cents searched...Not to mention probably 50 bags. Scarce to say the least!Now that's a lot of searching!

VAB2013
01-26-2018, 04:05 PM
Yes definitely a scarce one! Nahh... you're not crazy, just a little furry frog, that's all :) BTW... are tree frogs furry? I've never seen one up close.

furryfrog02
01-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Now that's a lot of searching!
My wife would say that it is too much searching :P

furryfrog02
01-26-2018, 04:14 PM
Yes definitely a scarce one! Nahh... you're not crazy, just a little furry frog, that's all :) BTW... are tree frogs furry? I've never seen one up close.
Tree frogs are not but this one is a bit scary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairy_frog

makecents
01-26-2018, 04:21 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairy_frogHoly cow!! Hairy and with claws!! It amazes me all of the creatures on this earth that most of us don't even know about!

furryfrog02
01-26-2018, 04:24 PM
Holy cow!! Hairy and with claws!! It amazes me all of the creatures on this earth that most of us don't even know about!
We have only discovered ~15% of all species on Earth. o_0

VAB2013
01-26-2018, 04:26 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairy_frog

OMG that looks prehistoric half frog half lizard! That is scary looking!

When I think of furry frogs, it reminds me of the huge frog my daughter found on the side of the road. She caught it, had it in her lap driving home, it got loose in the car and by the time she got home it had hair and stuff from the floor board stuck to it. So, she took it inside, rinsed it off and set it free in the yard. Not sure what kind of frog it was... here it is

furryfrog02
01-26-2018, 04:28 PM

When I think of furry frogs, it reminds me of the huge frog my daughter found on the side of the road. She caught it, had it in her lap driving home, it got loose in the car and by the time she got home it had hair and stuff from the floor board stuck to it. So, she took it inside, rinsed it off and set it free in the yard. Not sure what kind of frog it was... here it is
That's a bullfrog :)

VAB2013
01-26-2018, 04:30 PM
That's a bullfrog :)

Okay cool! Thank you! She wanted to keep it LOL! But at least she saved it from being hit by a car, it was in the middle of the road.

VAB2013
01-26-2018, 04:39 PM
We have only discovered ~15% of all species on Earth. o_0

If the other 85% are as scary looking as that hairy frog... we are in trouble!

Petespockets55
01-27-2018, 03:53 AM

Be careful about collecting different sized bullfrogs together.
My two boys and I did that when they were young to see how many they could catch in a shallow pond behind my house. We thought they were escaping through a hole in the box on the peddle boat until we saw a small foot sticking out of the mouth of a larger one!!! (Watch out Kermit, they evidently like frog legs also.)

jfines69
01-27-2018, 04:13 AM
Be careful about collecting different sized bullfrogs together.
My two boys and I did that when they were young to see how many they could catch in a shallow pond behind my house. We thought they were escaping through a hole in the box on the peddle boat until we saw a small foot sticking out of the mouth of a larger one!!! (Watch out Kermit, they evidently like frog legs also.)
:sign10: Survival of the biggest :LOL_Hair:

TPring
01-27-2018, 09:00 AM
I hate to disagree with enamel because he is great at this... but I took an index card and measured the distance from the top of the 6 to the curve and it came up the same on both coins (on your second pic). Also the zero looks SD, but sometimes circulation wear makes it look that way.

Circulation wear makes the top of the 1 and 9 hard to tell for me. Here's a link

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/1960smalldate.html

Great call!

I was with enamel7 until I really took a hard look at it -- Maybe the light reflecting off the top part of the six was deceiving me.