PDA

View Full Version : Undocumented RPM?

TPring
01-27-2018, 12:52 AM
...or just a wanna be.

Looks like it could be a CCW RPM but, not sure.

Definitely do not see one like it on CC (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/dietype.php?date=1980&die_mint=d&die_type=mm&page=0) or VV (http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/RPMs%201980D.htm).

makecents
01-27-2018, 03:45 AM
I think I see your markers above the date for the Wexler listing.

http://doubleddie.com/1711174.html

TPring
01-27-2018, 06:42 AM
I think I see your markers above the date for the Wexler listing.

http://doubleddie.com/1711174.html

Hehe, a bit embarrassed because the CC listings listed no cross-reference to Wexler's so I did not even look.

Thanks for looking and the info -- Will have to make a note to keep Wexler listings on my 'To check' list.

Will need to check through those to see if there are any matches. Hmmm, several listings but only pics for one variety.

Added quick pics of reverse.

jfines69
01-27-2018, 01:44 PM
I think Jon may have nailed it... Nice find!!!

VAB2013
01-27-2018, 01:58 PM
Congrats TPring! Nice RPM! Nice detective work Jon and as always... thank you for your confirmation Jim!

TPring
01-27-2018, 08:00 PM
I think Jon may have nailed it... Nice find!!!

He doesn't know how good he is [think Johnny Carson's Karnac the Magnificent].

At first, I only provided date/mm [no other obverse] then, provided additional pics of only the reverse with no markers showing up. Turns out that the one marker I have is the diagonal line through the word 'IN' [see pic]. The other scratches/markers around the date and bowtie must be later stage [see pics]. The scratch that I see on my coin is probably unique to my coin since it looks like a surface [not die] scratch -- My guess.

I'm guessing EDS.

It is unclear what WRPM number it is -- Any guesses?

VAB2013
01-27-2018, 08:09 PM
Very nice marker shot of the die scratch at IN! Congrats! Job well done TPring, Jon and Jim!

jfines69
01-28-2018, 03:26 AM
He doesn't know how good he is [think Johnny Carson's Karnac the Magnificent].

At first, I only provided date/mm [no other obverse] then, provided additional pics of only the reverse with no markers showing up. Turns out that the one marker I have is the diagonal line through the word 'IN' [see pic]. The other scratches/markers around the date and bowtie must be later stage [see pics]. The scratch that I see on my coin is probably unique to my coin since it looks like a surface [not die] scratch -- My guess.

I'm guessing EDS.

It is unclear what WRPM number it is -- Any guesses?
I can not tell on the markers... The only RPM listed with pics on Wexlers is 011 so I would think yours is a match to that one :LOL_Hair: With the thinness of the jacket WSW of the date it looks at least MDS... Would really need to see the full obv/rev to get closer to die state!!!

TPring
01-28-2018, 07:26 AM
I can not tell on the markers... The only RPM listed with pics on Wexlers is 011 so I would think yours is a match to that one :LOL_Hair: With the thinness of the jacket WSW of the date it looks at least MDS... Would really need to see the full obv/rev to get closer to die state!!!

Yes, the only marker that mine has [from all three sites] was the line through the word 'IN' on the WRPM.

Aha, WRPM011 -- Was not sure if those pics were for #011 or not. Thanks for clarifying.

I will see if I can get some good pics. If you are able to make a more accurate assessment on die state, could you explain what you are seeing that would lead you one way or the other? I do not understand the process of determining die state and would like to understand better [I simply thought that the older/later it was the more scratches/markers it had].

Thank you

VAB2013
01-28-2018, 10:04 AM
Tpring, I don't want to take anything away from what Jim will say about die state and markers. Maybe Bob can put together a learning exercise for us on this subject!

There's so much to know about this subject, and there are some very good archive threads and stickies already... but Bob is such a great teacher that it would be so cool for him to do this!

I know very little... but the die state changes during the life of the die and a lot of things happen to it. Experts, like Bob, can tell the state (or age) of the die based on several factors. Die flow lines become more apparent in later die states, and some markers that we see in earlier die states are polished away and not seen at later die states, and some new markers appear. There's a whole lot more to it that I don't understand.

jfines69
01-28-2018, 12:17 PM
Yes, the only marker that mine has [from all three sites] was the line through the word 'IN' on the WRPM.

Aha, WRPM011 -- Was not sure if those pics were for #011 or not. Thanks for clarifying.

I will see if I can get some good pics. If you are able to make a more accurate assessment on die state, could you explain what you are seeing that would lead you one way or the other? I do not understand the process of determining die state and would like to understand better [I simply thought that the older/later it was the more scratches/markers it had].

Thank you
Thanks for the follow up... I will explain the best I can and hopefully Bob or one of the other pros can chime in on the die state info also... I am in no way one of the pros!!!

jfines69
01-28-2018, 12:18 PM
Tpring, I don't want to take anything away from what Jim will say about die state and markers. Maybe Bob can put together a learning exercise for us on this subject!

There's so much to know about this subject, and there are some very good archive threads and stickies already... but Bob is such a great teacher that it would be so cool for him to do this!

I know very little... but the die state changes during the life of the die and a lot of things happen to it. Experts, like Bob, can tell the state (or age) of the die based on several factors. Die flow lines become more apparent in later die states, and some markers that we see in earlier die states are polished away and not seen at later die states, and some new markers appear. There's a whole lot more to it that I don't understand.
That would be cool if Bob could do that!!!

mustbebob
01-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Just give me some time folks and I will put together a tutorial that explains things like die states, stages and other items. It really is a good way to be able to expand your expertise.
Speaking of expertise, I think a couple of you are not giving yourselves enough credit for what you have learned, and for the knowledge you are passing on to others. (I think you know who you are). Even if you make a mistake, so what? We will all stand up for each other in this forum. Education is the key and a class that lasts a lifetime!

VAB2013
01-28-2018, 05:57 PM
Just give me some time folks and I will put together a tutorial that explains things like die states, stages and other items. It really is a good way to be able to expand your expertise.
Speaking of expertise, I think a couple of you are not giving yourselves enough credit for what you have learned, and for the knowledge you are passing on to others. (I think you know who you are). Even if you make a mistake, so what? We will all stand up for each other in this forum. Education is the key and a class that lasts a lifetime!

YAY!! Thank you Bob!! This is just what I was hoping to hear! We are ready whenever you are, eager to know more and so happy that you have some things in mind for us to get started on! Whooo hooooO!!

Bob... thank you so much for watching over us and noticing the progression in the hobby that we are making! There is just so much more to know! We are really looking forward to your next learning exercise!!!

Petespockets55
01-28-2018, 07:31 PM
YAY!! Thank you Bob!! This is just what I was hoping to hear! We are ready whenever you are, eager to know more and so happy that you have some things in mind for us to get started on! Whooo hooooO!!

Bob... thank you so much for watching over us and noticing the progression in the hobby that we are making! There is just so much more to know! We are really looking forward to your next learning exercise!!!
Here Here! All those that agree say "Aye".
Aye!

VAB2013
01-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Here Here! All those that agree say "Aye".
Aye!

"Aye". Aye!... but, I really already cast my vote, just couldn't resist say Aye Aye! LOL.... Ain't it great to have Bob as our teacher and mentor!

jfines69
01-29-2018, 04:01 AM
Aye, Aye, Aye :LOL_Hair: