PDA

View Full Version : 2017P DDO new one?

VAB2013
01-27-2018, 06:58 PM
What do you guys think? Maybe I should wait until tomorrow and take more pics with natural light, but this is what I have so far. There's a bunch of scratches going in all different directions and my scope is picking those up and making focusing difficult. Can't find a match.

makecents
01-27-2018, 07:34 PM
You are on fire tonight!! I don't see anything that is a match. There is nothing that has that much thickness all over the obverse. Nice notching on "ERTY" too!! It looks like a discovery to me. CONGRATS!!

VAB2013
01-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Thank you Jon! You are a real trooper for staying up late looking at my bad photos of this shiny cent! You know, I always have this fear that my camera is playing tricks on me. It was the same thing when I found that 2016 DDO that was so thick looking.

I just took some more bad pics... well I backed off the coin some hoping the scratches would not make focusing so hard and it really didn't help, but here they are.

Also, took photos of what could be possible markers, this is all I could find. What's up with all of these tiny scratches all over? They don't really look like PSD, or die scratches but look like something from the minting process.

makecents
01-27-2018, 08:08 PM
Those scratches are odd. I'm sure someone will let us know what they are at some point. I thought your pics were good Viv. The top of the "E" in WE is really oversized compared to the rest of the letter too. Very nice thickness!

VAB2013
01-27-2018, 08:13 PM
Thank you very much Jon! Yeah, those scratches are odd. First time I've seen these, or at least this many of them to get my attention. They don't look like die flow lines or anything else I am familiar with. They seem too consistent and equally spaced to be PSD. Like something scratched the coin while it was being fed or ejected?

jfines69
01-28-2018, 04:12 AM
Those do look extra thick all around... I am not 100% sure it is a DD tho??? The area at the rims look fairly shallow and the devices appear some what mushy??? The lines across the coin are on the tops of the devices so it could those are from a bad polishing job??? Maybe ask Bob to have a look???

VAB2013
01-28-2018, 07:38 AM
Those do look extra thick all around... I am not 100% sure it is a DD tho??? The area at the rims look fairly shallow and the devices appear some what mushy??? The lines across the coin are on the tops of the devices so it could those are from a bad polishing job??? Maybe ask Bob to have a look???

Thank you very much Jim! This is a tough one that maybe I need to send to you. Sometimes I can tell mushy devices and also go by die flow lines to chalk extra thickness up to die wear, this one I cannot.

These lines have me puzzled. I keep trying to connect them with die flow lines but they don't seem to fit. They are more on top of the coin and not very thick or heavy like die polishing lines. They are very straight and equally spaced consistently so maybe it is from some kind of machine polishing tool that is affixed and designed electronically to pass over the die in a straight line fashion? That's the best I can do at my level of intelligence :)

So, not to complicate things further, but to try to understand these scratches. I have seen these straight line scratches before but not to the degree of what is on this questionable DDO. I really didn't pay much attention until now. Hopefully the photo description will explain what I'm trying to say about what I am seeing in comparison or not in comparison.

VAB2013
01-28-2018, 08:07 AM
Now... one cup of coffee later LOL

Jim, my mind keeps going back to something happening at the mint, after the strike. Because how could a mechanically affixed die polishing tool, whether it's a pad or a brush, get down in the recesses of the die and continually make a straight line? Seems like a pad couldn't get into the recesses and a brush would make a bigger mess of things.

Could there be some kind of machinery at the mint, post strike that the coin comes in contact with that is scratching the coin like this? I don't think human's are doing this LOL (need to finish this coffee)

VAB2013
01-28-2018, 11:49 AM
Update: Daylight photos

Tried to get these on here before Bob and Jim get here to look at the thread.

There will be two posts. This post will have the Date, Motto to look at to check for doubling

The next post will show the scratches

VAB2013
01-28-2018, 11:51 AM
And here are the scratches photos

jfines69
01-28-2018, 01:04 PM
Nice follow up pics Vivien... I am still leaning toward the worn die??? I also see some die flow lines and abrasions... The flow lines I see are mostly near the date and Abe... All the straight lines look like polishing but I am not 100% sure on that... Bob should be able to shine more light on this for us!!!

VAB2013
01-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Nice follow up pics Vivien... I am still leaning toward the worn die??? I also see some die flow lines and abrasions... The flow lines I see are mostly near the date and Abe... All the straight lines look like polishing but I am not 100% sure on that... Bob should be able to shine more light on this for us!!!

Thank you so much Jim for looking through all those pics! The last thing I want to do is waste people's time, keeping them from searching more Lincoln's, and jump the gun on something. I have messaged Bob and asked him if he can look at the last images I posted, hopefully they show things better. I am curious about the straight lines also, we'll see what Bob says.

jfines69
01-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Thank you so much Jim for looking through all those pics! The last thing I want to do is waste people's time, keeping them from searching more Lincoln's, and jump the gun on something. I have messaged Bob and asked him if he can look at the last images I posted, hopefully they show things better. I am curious about the straight lines also, we'll see what Bob says.
You are not wasting my time in the least bit!!!

VAB2013
01-28-2018, 01:19 PM
You are not wasting my time in the least bit!!!

Thank you Jim! I just feel bad that I have attached so many photos to this thread

next time I will contain my excitement until daylight "will try to" :)

mustbebob
01-28-2018, 05:15 PM
Well...I have looked, and looked, and I am afraid there is nothing I can get excited about Viv. Even if it is a doubled die, it would be too minor to list for the coppercoins files. I am guessing that the lines we see on a lot of these newer coins may be from the final wash. I just plain don't know so it is a guess.

VAB2013
01-28-2018, 05:28 PM
Well...I have looked, and looked, and I am afraid there is nothing I can get excited about Viv. Even if it is a doubled die, it would be too minor to list for the coppercoins files. I am guessing that the lines we see on a lot of these newer coins may be from the final wash. I just plain don't know so it is a guess.

Thank you so much Bob for taking a look at this one for me! It is the first one I've seen while searching with what seemed to have extra thickness on the devices and it looked to have a tad of notching at TY and some distortion at U of Trust. Those lines were confusing me, which I have seen a little bit of this on Shields but didn't really think much about it. Then this coin was covered with these unusual lines. If they are using some type of sprayer in the final wash, it might just be a little too strong, but that makes perfect sense! Appreciate your time and expertise very much!

jfines69
01-29-2018, 03:49 AM
Thanks for taking a look Bob... It had me at about a 50/50 as to it being die wear or a DDO... Wish we could figure out the cause of all the lines... Maybe one day???