PDA

View Full Version : 1961D-RPM-043

VAB2013
01-29-2018, 04:05 PM
Found this late last night and I was so excited to find another RPM to learn on!

Just now got a chance to look it over and I was comparing it to VV RPM 043. I think it's a match with die markers; die chip at US of Pluribus and remnants of die break lower column 12. But, when I went to look for the die crack at the ear that runs down the neck, I could not find the ear. It has been worn flat! Despite this Lincoln's long journey, I think I got it right

makecents
01-29-2018, 05:12 PM
Nice find Viv!! Those are nice split serifs too along with the great markers. Congrats on nailing another RPM!

VAB2013
01-29-2018, 05:17 PM
Thank you very much Jon! I had to LOL at myself, earnestly looking at this poor worn out Lincoln, trying to learn from it... then when I could not find the ear. I thought it was a lost cause until I found what is left of those markers! Thank you for looking and confirming for me!

TPring
01-29-2018, 06:06 PM
Look at you!

Came out firing on all cylinders after an eventful weekend.

Nice.

It's amazing [and fortunate] that with all the wear that you still have clear splits.

edit: I put a straight-edge on VV-043 (http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/1961DRPM043.htm) up the spine of the MM and I'm not sure they are the same, will check again -- Yours seems to be a tad west.

joel
01-29-2018, 06:37 PM
Very cool find, Vivien!! Your pics are topnotch also!! Larry J

VAB2013
01-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Look at you!

Came out firing on all cylinders after an eventful weekend.

Nice.

It's amazing [and fortunate] that with all the wear that you still have clear splits.

edit: I put a straight-edge on VV-043 (http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/1961DRPM043.htm) up the spine of the MM and I'm not sure they are the same, will check again -- Yours seems to be a tad west.

Thank you very much TPring! Please let me know how you decide the MM lines up or doesn't. I really struggle with that and have to do overlays most of the time.

VAB2013
01-29-2018, 06:53 PM
Very cool find, Vivien!! Your pics are topnotch also!! Larry J

Thank you so much Larry J! I am learning a lot just watching you! I am really digging this Celestron, it has made so much difference in my ability to see things. I think my eyes were starting to go bad from so much squinting :)

jfines69
01-30-2018, 04:28 AM
I'm with Tpring... Your MM looks a bit to far west??? Not sure at this moment tho... Will check again later!!!

VAB2013
01-30-2018, 04:56 AM
I'm with Tpring... Your MM looks a bit to far west??? Not sure at this moment tho... Will check again later!!!

Thank you Jim! Geez I wish I was better at MM placement because I'm not that great with overlays either especially one as roughed up as this one!

jfines69
01-30-2018, 06:23 AM
Thank you Jim! Geez I wish I was better at MM placement because I'm not that great with overlays either especially one as roughed up as this one!
You are doing just fine... Nobody can get them correct all the time especially when there are so many for one year and a bunch of those are really close... You never know I could be wrong also so no big deal... Heck even the pros at the TPGs get wrong at times!!!

jfines69
01-30-2018, 06:24 AM
If you want I can download your date/MM pic and see what I can come up with... Even do an overlay if you want???

jfines69
01-30-2018, 11:30 AM
Guess what... After looking at this again you are correct... It is CCs (No images available) that crosses over to VVs 043 http://varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/1961DRPM043.htm I think what was throwing me is the shadows on the east side of yours and VVs images and yours date/MM image is rotated slightly CCW compared to VVs... Way to go Vivien!!!

VAB2013
01-30-2018, 02:05 PM
Guess what... After looking at this again you are correct... It is CCs (No images available) that crosses over to VVs 043 http://varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/1961DRPM043.htm I think what was throwing me is the shadows on the east side of yours and VVs images and yours date/MM image is rotated slightly CCW compared to VVs... Way to go Vivien!!!

Yay! Thank you so much Jim for looking this one over for me! I need to practice more with overlays because I have no depth perception when it comes to MM placement... at all. I can tell when they are rotated, etc. but after that I'm lost! Appreciate you!

jfines69
01-30-2018, 02:18 PM
Yay! Thank you so much Jim for looking this one over for me! I need to practice more with overlays because I have no depth perception when it comes to MM placement... at all. I can tell when they are rotated, etc. but after that I'm lost! Appreciate you!
No problem... Glad I was able to help you out... Like I said no one is perfect... It is always good to have others take a look and verify what we see... Unless of course we have 100% smack in the head markers :LOL_Hair:

VAB2013
01-30-2018, 02:21 PM
It is always a good feeling when you find out something is a variety, and not so bad when you find out it is not because you still learned from it :)

jfines69
01-30-2018, 02:28 PM
Do you have the crack on the neck and the chip with depression on the right eave as shown on VV http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/1961DRPM043.htm VV only has the Stage C listed and I am thinking yours may be earlier??? Not sure tho!!!

VAB2013
01-30-2018, 03:26 PM
Do you have the crack on the neck and the chip with depression on the right eave as shown on VV http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/1961DRPM043.htm VV only has the Stage C listed and I am thinking yours may be earlier??? Not sure tho!!!

I think I see the depression on the right eve but heavy circulation wear has probably worn that chip away.

Also, the neck area has so much circulation wear, there would be no way to know if that die crack was there.

Best looking thing on this Lincoln is the mint mark! :)

jfines69
01-31-2018, 03:25 AM
I think I see the depression on the right eve but heavy circulation wear has probably worn that chip away.

Also, the neck area has so much circulation wear, there would be no way to know if that die crack was there.

Best looking thing on this Lincoln is the mint mark! :)
Thanks for the follow up images... The neck the field area (just east of the eave) where the crack and depression should be do not look all that worn... Those areas are much deeper than the surrounding areas and are less susceptible to circ wear... By the looks of it yours does not have the crack or depression so it should be no later than a Stage B!!!