PDA

View Full Version : Maybe?

TPring
02-03-2018, 04:19 AM
Okay, been working on this one a few hours now [and I've been up about 21 hours] so hopefully this makes sense.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

There is much information on this variety between the three sites: CC (http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1959&die_id=1959d1mm005&die_state=eds), VV (http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/1959DRPM005.htm) and DD (http://doubleddie.com/1015120.html).

I am thinking it is early stage -- After A and before D [probably B].

TPring
02-03-2018, 04:39 AM
[Added a few extra pics]

Would a stage B coin have as many scratches as the pics show? The website pics of the vertical lines above the 'B' and 'Y' in Liberty are so much stronger than on this coin -- Not sure why.

Struggling trying to understand the comparisons of this coin to the pics/descriptions on the websites -- some just don't seem right.

Needed to use natural light at an angle in order to show all the scratches because they are so light. LEDs are just too harsh.

Hopefully I can explain better after a few hours of sleep.

I picked this coin because I thought it would be the easiest.:squigglemouth:

makecents
02-03-2018, 05:13 AM
Very nice work!! You are all over the RPM's, they don't stand a chance! This is a really cool one too, with the totally different RPM's.

VAB2013
02-03-2018, 05:19 AM
Congrats TPring! Very nice RPM find, photos and presentation! I bet this one was fun to study, you've got die scratches galore, just have to find the right ones, and it appears to me you did a fine job! Let's see what Jim says to finalize the deal! Meanwhile... you need a nap or a sleep or a hibernation!!!

jfines69
02-03-2018, 02:06 PM
Excellent find... Attribution for Stage B looks spot on also... Using VVs images http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/1959DRPM005.htm The 1 looks normal in Stage A with no abrasion showing off the west side and the SW MM does not look all that good... In Stage B the 1 has narrowed with an abrasion off to the west and the upper and lower serif as well as part of the upper horizontal bar is showing clearly... In Stage C the 1 is not as narrow as Stage B, most likely due to wear, and the lower serif of the SW MM has nearly disappeared... In Stage D the 1 looks almost normal, the lower serif of the SW MM is still not there but the upper serif is fairly well defined along with the portion of the upper horizontal bar... Yours matches Stage B... Hope that helps a little!!!

TPring
02-03-2018, 04:43 PM
Very nice work!! You are all over the RPM's, they don't stand a chance! This is a really cool one too, with the totally different RPM's.

Thanks, this was my first Triple D. There is an old game show called Jokers Wild where contestants would spin a 'One-Armed Bandit': When three Jokers would come up [good thing] the host would say " joker....joker...and a triple" -- This is what I kept thinking. :sign10:

Congrats TPring! Very nice RPM find, photos and presentation! I bet this one was fun to study, you've got die scratches galore, just have to find the right ones, and it appears to me you did a fine job! Let's see what Jim says to finalize the deal! Meanwhile... you need a nap or a sleep or a hibernation!!!

Thanks, I spent a lot of time trying to get everything right and making it easy to see/spot things after 'missing the boat' on the RPM053 -- though those things are bound to happen. Just trying to make it easier for people to help me. I had another coin I was planning on digging into but decided this one would be easier -- Yeah, right. There was so much information for this one that it took me a while to go back and forth with sites and pics. I have a quit a few more 1959Ds that I need to attribute so I guess I should look through to see if any of them are this same RPM.:D

VAB2013
02-03-2018, 04:58 PM
[/QUOTE]Thanks, I spent a lot of time trying to get everything right and making it easy to see/spot things after 'missing the boat' on the RPM053 -- though those things are bound to happen. Just trying to make it easier for people to help me. I had another coin I was planning on digging into but decided this one would be easier -- Yeah, right. There was so much information for this one that it took me a while to go back and forth with sites and pics. I have a quit a few more 1959Ds that I need to attribute so I guess I should look through to see if any of them are this same RPM.:D[/QUOTE]

Hey TPring! Hope you got some sleep! Yeah, this was definitely not an easy one but you nailed it! Congrats!!!

TPring
02-03-2018, 04:59 PM
Excellent find... Attribution for Stage B looks spot on also... Using VVs images http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20LC%20RPMs%20Vol%202/1959DRPM005.htm The 1 looks normal in Stage A with no abrasion showing off the west side and the SW MM does not look all that good... In Stage B the 1 has narrowed with an abrasion off to the west and the upper and lower serif as well as part of the upper horizontal bar is showing clearly... In Stage C the 1 is not as narrow as Stage B, most likely due to wear, and the lower serif of the SW MM has nearly disappeared... In Stage D the 1 looks almost normal, the lower serif of the SW MM is still not there but the upper serif is fairly well defined along with the portion of the upper horizontal bar... Yours matches Stage B... Hope that helps a little!!!

Luckily, there was some good info out there with which to make a decision. This is the first time [I think] that I made use of the three sites for stages of variations. Another case where traits can get stronger in later stages.

I had many questions pop up in the course of working on this [and most have been forgotten] but a couple I do have are:

Who decides what attributes define a various stage?

The pics for this variety showed strong scratches coming off of 'Liberty' [among others] but, on my coin they were very weak-to-invisible while some other scratches were quite visible on both coins but not used as markers. Is there a reason for that?

This coin has quite a few scratches for a stage 'b' -- Is that normal for such an early stage?

I have a couple of pics of what I think should have been markers but were not listed. I would have thought that they would be the same on other coins and in fact can kinda see them in the VV pics. The 'hump' pic looks like a tiny mole trail on the coin and the chip is just that, a tiny chip off the right side of the '1' and on top of the hump.

Thanks for looking,

VAB2013
02-03-2018, 05:05 PM
Cool info, but I don't know why either. I do see what you are referring to at the 1 in VV photos (but VV stage B has a stain covering up that area) but it appears to be evident in later die states also.

TPring
02-03-2018, 05:54 PM
...(but VV stage B has a stain covering up that area) but it appears to be evident in later die states also.

I'm thinking that the stain is the 'shine difference' because of the hump. Found this entry from jcuve (http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/jcuve/media/bWVkaWFJZDo2Nzc1NjMyOQ==/?ref=) showing the hump but [for MDS, not EDS].

VAB2013
02-03-2018, 05:58 PM
I'm thinking that the stain is the 'shine difference' because of the hump.

Yep, gotcha... didn't think about that!

jfines69
02-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Luckily, there was some good info out there with which to make a decision. This is the first time [I think] that I made use of the three sites for stages of variations. Another case where traits can get stronger in later stages.

I had many questions pop up in the course of working on this [and most have been forgotten] but a couple I do have are:

Who decides what attributes define a various stage?

The pics for this variety showed strong scratches coming off of 'Liberty' [among others] but, on my coin they were very weak-to-invisible while some other scratches were quite visible on both coins but not used as markers. Is there a reason for that?

This coin has quite a few scratches for a stage 'b' -- Is that normal for such an early stage?

I have a couple of pics of what I think should have been markers but were not listed. I would have thought that they would be the same on other coins and in fact can kinda see them in the VV pics. The 'hump' pic looks like a tiny mole trail on the coin and the chip is just that, a tiny chip off the right side of the '1' and on top of the hump.

Thanks for looking,
I like to use all 3 sites when possible... Markers such as die abrasions (scratches) and die dots can be on any stage of the dies life... Abrasions and dots can wear away thru use or by being abraded over even covered up by chips/cracks... Cracks and chips are normally on later die stages but can be on earlier stages... Not all markers are listed... The attributers will list markers they think will last the longest from that die stage on... Also if they were to list all possible markers we would never have any images to look at there wouldn't be enough room on the hard drives :LOL_Hair: Some times the only markers we will see are the unlisted ones matched up in the images... Hope that helps a little!!!