PDA

View Full Version : New DDR discovered !!!

makecents
02-03-2018, 04:29 PM
Nice new to me find !! I thought it was just deterioration at first but then I noticed the notching and then slight doubling on the "O" and "N" of ONE.

Thanks for looking, Jon.

makecents
02-03-2018, 04:30 PM
Sorry for so many but I had a couple more, a lot going on with this one.

VAB2013
02-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Great job on the photos Jon! I know how it feels to think you have posted too many pics, did that recently with the 2017P... but better to have more than too few and not be able to effectively show what you are seeing!

Sorry I can't help on this one... these are difficult! One thing that this DDO listed calls to my attention is the bottom of the E in America. I could never figure out it it is "bowed" looking or just thick? Also.. do you have the OBV marker at date and REV marker die gouge left of Memorial?

makecents
02-03-2018, 05:03 PM
Great job on the photos Jon! I know how it feels to think you have posted too many pics, did that recently with the 2017P... but better to have more than too few and not be able to effectively show what you are seeing!

Sorry I can't help on this one... these are difficult! One thing that this DDO listed calls to my attention is the bottom of the E in America. I could never figure out it it is "bowed" looking or just thick? Also.. do you have the OBV marker at date and REV marker die gouge left of Memorial?I have hardly any die scratches on the obverse, I think it is an earlier die state but if you look at the second set of photos, the UNIT photo, you can see the die gouge between the N and the Memorial.

TPring
02-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Good eye and pics, I probably would have missed this one.

In good shape, too. Just the one DDR available for the year and you got it -- Cool. Looks like the small die gouge left of the first column in your Rev pic.

From the aggravation can? LOL

makecents
02-03-2018, 05:11 PM

In good shape, too.

From the aggravation can? LOLThanks! No, this one came right out of the roll. I'm gunna try to get some better pics I know it's hard to see.

makecents
02-03-2018, 06:04 PM
I got a few more pics and tried to point out what I'm seeing.

makecents
02-03-2018, 06:30 PM

In good shape, too. Just the one DDR available for the year and you got it -- Cool. Looks like the small die gouge left of the first column in your Rev pic.

From the aggravation can? LOLThis one cross referenced from Copper Coins 001 with Wexler 002 and Wexler has two more besides this.

VAB2013
02-03-2018, 06:32 PM
Very nice work here Jon! I think you have everything lined up for Jim to see this in the morning! Anxious to see what he thinks...**fingers crossed**

Petespockets55
02-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Really nice one Jon.
Nice thickness on the O (ONE).

makecents
02-04-2018, 06:46 AM
Really nice one Jon.
Nice thickness on the O (ONE).Thanks Cliff!! The more I look at it the more I'm wondering what I have here though.

VAB2013
02-04-2018, 06:56 AM
Thanks Cliff!! The more I look at it the more I'm wondering what I have here though.

Awww Jon, I understand that feeling of wonder and beginning to doubt when trying to figure out these tough ones! But... if we never ask, we don't learn, and if we never ask, we could be putting a new discovery in the "to go" box and totally bypass the aggravation can! You are doing the right thing to ask about what you are seeing! Hang in there, Jim should be around pretty soon with an answer.

jfines69
02-04-2018, 02:09 PM
To tell you the truth it does look like a DDR but I do not think it is listed... The die gouge you point out looks to be to far from the column on yours unless I am seeing the wrong thing??? Notice how close CCs 001 is to the column http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1985&die_id=1985p1dr001&die_state=mds Time for Bob to chime in on this one???

VAB2013
02-04-2018, 02:37 PM
Yay!!! This is awesome, where is Jon?? Just sent a PM to Bob for you Jon!!!

makecents
02-04-2018, 03:15 PM
To tell you the truth it does look like a DDR but I do not think it is listed... The die gouge you point out looks to be to far from the column on yours unless I am seeing the wrong thing??? Notice how close CCs 001 is to the column http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1985&die_id=1985p1dr001&die_state=mds Time for Bob to chime in on this one???Thank you for looking Jim!! I did not actually have a pic pointing at the column marker but there is a pic of UNIT that I think shows it. I was wondering all along though if this was listed. I would have thought there would be the pics of the O and N of ONE. Well very cool!! We'll see what Bob thinks!:)

makecents
02-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Yay!!! This is awesome, where is Jon?? Just sent a PM to Bob for you Jon!!!Thank you Viv and thanks for messaging Bob!! As you said, fingers crossed!!:)

mustbebob
02-05-2018, 10:34 AM
This one is difficult based on my horrible pics on coppercoins. I know I wouldn't have missed the nice separation on ONE CENT, so off hand, I would say this is a newer and stronger one than I have listed. I have to caveat that by saying I really would need to see both in hand, but the absence of markers from the obverse also leads me to it being a new find.

jfines69
02-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Thank you for taking a look Bob... We do appreciate your time and expertise... Now the next step is Jons!!!

VAB2013
02-05-2018, 01:57 PM
Congrats Jon! You are just a step or two away from confirming your first 1985P Lincoln Cent DDR Discovery! Very happy and excited for you!!!

makecents
02-05-2018, 02:48 PM
This one is difficult based on my horrible pics on coppercoins. I know I wouldn't have missed the nice separation on ONE CENT, so off hand, I would say this is a newer and stronger one than I have listed. I have to caveat that by saying I really would need to see both in hand, but the absence of markers from the obverse also leads me to it being a new find.Thank you very much Bob for taking time to look at it!! I will send it out in the morning if that is ok? Thanks again!!

makecents
02-05-2018, 02:52 PM
Thank you for taking a look Bob... We do appreciate your time and expertise... Now the next step is Jons!!!It's being packaged as we speak!! Thank you for all your help Jim!!

makecents
02-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Congrats Jon! You are just a step or two away from confirming your first 1985P Lincoln Cent DDR Discovery! Very happy and excited for you!!!Thank you Viv for all your support!! I've never had a teacher and cheerleader all in one!! You are so much help and always know the right things to say at the right time!:)

joel
02-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Wow!! You are a super sleuth in spotting those notches!! WTG!!

VAB2013
02-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Thank you Viv for all your support!! I've never had a teacher and cheerleader all in one!! You are so much help and always know the right things to say at the right time!:)

You are very welcome Jon! Thank you so much for the nice compliment! I am having a blast watching you learn at lightening speed! I know you had a little head start with Morgans, but I am sure when you really started delving in these Lincoln's things are just different enough to be challenging! What an awesome first Discovery... with many more to come I'm sure!

makecents
02-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Wow!! You are a super sleuth in spotting those notches!! WTG!!Any sleuthing I do is in a large part because of you Larry!! You would be the KING of sleuth!

makecents
02-05-2018, 08:01 PM
You are very welcome Jon! Thank you so much for the nice compliment! I am having a blast watching you learn at lightening speed! I know you had a little head start with Morgans, but I am sure when you really started delving in these Lincoln's things are just different enough to be challenging! What an awesome first Discovery... with many more to come I'm sure!Thank you again!! We will see Viv. The MAN will have it in his hands shortly!:)

VAB2013
02-05-2018, 08:42 PM
This one is difficult based on my horrible pics on coppercoins. I know I wouldn't have missed the nice separation on ONE CENT, so off hand, I would say this is a newer and stronger one than I have listed. I have to caveat that by saying I really would need to see both in hand, but the absence of markers from the obverse also leads me to it being a new find.

Did Bob really just say this? That his pics are "horrible"??? Bob, that is you just being your humble self... and a perfectionist at the same time! Good is never good enough for you and that is a great quality to have! I can say this with confidence though... your photos on coppercoins are fantastic, the best attribution photos on the internet... period! Your photos have caused more doubled dies and varieties to be found by more people, and that is a fact!

Maineman750
02-06-2018, 03:28 AM
I was looking at this yesterday and my conclusions were the same as Bob, but I didn't really have time to check in detail so I kept my my shut...the notch on the R seemed to be a bit off in location, compared to the others

jfines69
02-06-2018, 04:00 AM
It's being packaged as we speak!! Thank you for all your help Jim!!
You are welcome... Got everything crossed for you :LOL_Hair:

mustbebob
02-06-2018, 11:48 AM
Good is never good enough for you and that is a great quality to have!

Too many nice comment Viv. I's still blushing over here.

'Good' photos are OK on the site Viv, but I have had problems with focus some times. You could see how my photo skills have improved over the years just like everyone else, but early on, they were terrible. I blame it on whatever is convenient at the time...usually my camera.

I had replaced thousands of older photos before we stopped updating the site. Believe me...you would be happy I did. I still can't take a completely in focus photo but if we can see the anomaly or marker, then I will have to be happy with it.

jfines69
02-06-2018, 01:30 PM
Too many nice comment Viv. I's still blushing over here.

'Good' photos are OK on the site Viv, but I have had problems with focus some times. You could see how my photo skills have improved over the years just like everyone else, but early on, they were terrible. I blame it on whatever is convenient at the time...usually my camera.

I had replaced thousands of older photos before we stopped updating the site. Believe me...you would be happy I did. I still can't take a completely in focus photo but if we can see the anomaly or marker, then I will have to be happy with it.
That's why I like the image stacking software... 3 or 4 pics and I get a clear image instead of taking a hundred pics and still having only 1 some what clear :LOL_Hair: My pic taking skills haven't improved but the software has!!!

makecents
02-06-2018, 02:42 PM
Did Bob really just say this? That his pics are "horrible"??? Bob, that is you just being your humble self... and a perfectionist at the same time! Good is never good enough for you and that is a great quality to have! I can say this with confidence though... your photos on coppercoins are fantastic, the best attribution photos on the internet... period! Your photos have caused more doubled dies and varieties to be found by more people, and that is a fact!I did not even realize Bob had said that about his pics. I would have to agree 100% with you Viv, I always go to CC first now before looking at the other attributors because of Bobs pics. I can find more markers and get a true depiction of what the variety should look like. Thanks for the great site Bob!!

makecents
02-06-2018, 02:43 PM
That's why I like the image stacking software... 3 or 4 pics and I get a clear image instead of taking a hundred pics and still having only 1 some what clear :LOL_Hair: My pic taking skills haven't improved but the software has!!!The software is only as good as the person using it!:D Your pics are great Jim!!

makecents
02-06-2018, 02:47 PM
I was looking at this yesterday and my conclusions were the same as Bob, but I didn't really have time to check in detail so I kept my my shut...the notch on the R seemed to be a bit off in location, compared to the othersThank you for looking at it and for your input Roger!! Your input is invaluable! It's nice to see an owner as involved as you are and always offering up the knowledge folks like me are so desperately needing to move forward.

makecents
02-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Well, I titled this post as "New to me DDR!!!" and as of just a few minutes ago when I opened a PM from Bob I found out it's new to you too!! Thank you again Bob for taking time to do this, I really appreciate it!! Thank you to the rest of the Forum for the help with moving this forward!

"Hi Jon. I got your coin today and have already had a good look at it under the scope. I am happy to say that you do indeed have a new, unlisted doubled die!
Although I can not load any photos on coppercoins any more, I will assign it a coppercoins number and put down as much info as I can including your name, the markers I find, etc. I will assign it number 1985P-1DR-002. I will let you make the announcement to the forum. Congrats on this find. Give me a day or two to get all the info on the site. I will label your coin and have it on its was back to you this weekend.

=BOB=

jfines69
02-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Awesome Jon... Congrats on the hew listing... 33 years and you are the first to find it... Are you sending it to Wiles and Wexler for listing???

makecents
02-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Awesome Jon... Congrats on the hew listing... 33 years and you are the first to find it... Are you sending it to Wiles and Wexler for listing???Thank you sir!! I was so excited and scared when I opened the PM from Bob not knowing what he might be telling me!! Yes, I plan on sending it to them, I'll look to see what I need to do in order to send in to Wiles. I've sent one to Wexler before though and know what to do with his.

Thank you for your help on this one Jim!!

Maineman750
02-09-2018, 01:10 PM
Thank you sir!! I was so excited and scared when I opened the PM from Bob not knowing what he might be telling me!! Yes, I plan on sending it to them, I'll look to see what I need to do in order to send in to Wiles. I've sent one to Wexler before though and know what to do with his.

For sure send it to Wexler, but check with Wiles first....last I heard he was too busy for new listings....anybody have an update to that ?

makecents
02-09-2018, 01:15 PM
For sure send it to Wexler, but check with Wiles first....last I heard he was too busy for new listings....anybody have an update to that ? Wexler must be covered up too, I sent him one back in the middle of December and have not heard from him yet.

Thank you Roger for changing the title of the post!!

jfines69
02-09-2018, 01:33 PM
Thank you sir!! I was so excited and scared when I opened the PM from Bob not knowing what he might be telling me!! Yes, I plan on sending it to them, I'll look to see what I need to do in order to send in to Wiles. I've sent one to Wexler before though and know what to do with his.

Glad I could help not that I did any thing!!!

jfines69
02-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Wexler must be covered up too, I sent him one back in the middle of December and have not heard from him yet.

Thank you Roger for changing the title of the post!!
I am surprised you haven't heard back yet... Did you send him an email asking about it???

makecents
02-09-2018, 01:51 PM
I am surprised you haven't heard back yet... Did you send him an email asking about it???I had not yet but was planning on it.

mustbebob
02-09-2018, 02:02 PM
For sure send it to Wexler, but check with Wiles first....last I heard he was too busy for new listings....anybody have an update to that ?

I have heard the same thing as recently as a couple of weeks ago. Based on Wiles's criteria, I am pretty sure this one would be too minor for him to list. The decision is Jon's of course but that is something to keep in mind.

VAB2013
02-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Congrats on the 85 DDR Discovery Jon!! That is so amazing for you to discover one that has not been found since 1985! You should be feeling very elated right now! You deserve it! Thank you Bob for what you do to make these moments possible! Ain't it great! Looking forward to seeing your new listing on Wexler's and Variety Vista sites!!!

makecents
02-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Congrats on the 85 DDR Discovery Jon!! That is so amazing for you to discover one that has not been found since 1985! You should be feeling very elated right now! You deserve it! Thank you Bob for what you do to make these moments possible! Ain't it great! Looking forward to seeing your new listing on Wexler's and Variety Vista sites!!!Thank you for your help on this Viv!! You were the pusher on this one!:)

VAB2013
02-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Thank you for your help on this Viv!! You were the pusher on this one!:)

You are welcome Jon, but all I did was give you the support and encouragement that you deserve! You have done an excellent job with this Discovery! Looking forward to more exciting things to come from your efforts!

joel
02-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Jon, It is super cool that you have found a new DDR on a 33 year old Lincoln!! Your hunt for detail is very impressive!! Look forward to seeing your name with the new listing!!

makecents
02-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Jon, It is super cool that you have found a new DDR on a 33 year old Lincoln!! Your hunt for detail is very impressive!! Look forward to seeing your name with the new listing!!Thank you Larry!! I have a lot of great folks here to help me along and learn as I go! Without you, and others like you, I would be clueless and have no want or drive to search. You have been a huge part in that. As Roger has indicated, you are a machine!:)

centMD
02-09-2018, 07:09 PM
I tend to agree with Bob that this coin will be too minor to list for Wiles. As for Wexler, I recently have been in contact with him and he's apparently quite overwhelmed with packages right now. I'd probably wait until you have a few more coins to send out with it, and then send it to Wexler as a group of up to 5. I wouldn't be too worried about anyone else finding another in the meantime. That is a pretty rare coin you just found. 1985 DDRs are very difficult to find, much tougher than the older stuff based off the massive number of different dies.

Dan

makecents
02-09-2018, 07:18 PM
I tend to agree with Bob that this coin will be too minor to list for Wiles. As for Wexler, I recently have been in contact with him and he's apparently quite overwhelmed with packages right now. I'd probably wait until you have a few more coins to send out with it, and then send it to Wexler as a group of up to 5. I wouldn't be too worried about anyone else finding another in the meantime. That is a pretty rare coin you just found. 1985 DDRs are very difficult to find, much tougher than the older stuff based off the massive number of different dies.

DanThank you for the info sir!! It's always nice to be in the know! I am in no hurry and if someone were by some odd chance to send this one in before me, so be it. I like the search, not the glory!:)

makecents
02-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Well, was getting ready to go to bed and saw the mail I hadn't went through yet. I received by coin back from Bob with a very cool letter and my coin numbered on his site!! I can't thank you enough Bob!!

http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1985&die_id=1985p1dr002&die_state=mds

VAB2013
02-13-2018, 08:17 PM
Whooo hoooo!!! Congrats Jon!!! That is so great to see your name on the coppercoins.com listing of your first Discovery!!! I am very happy for you!!!

makecents
02-13-2018, 08:22 PM
Whooo hoooo!!! Congrats Jon!!! That is so great to see your name on the coppercoins.com listing of your first Discovery!!! I am very happy for you!!!Thanks Viv!! Bob gave me all I needed!! I'll send it off but am not worried with the outcome. Bob's the man!!

VAB2013
02-13-2018, 08:32 PM
Thanks Viv!! Bob gave me all I needed!! I'll send it off but am not worried with the outcome. Bob's the man!!

You are welcome Jon! I know what you mean by that sense of accomplishment... and you are right, Bob is the man!

GrumpyEd
02-13-2018, 09:51 PM
Very nice discovery! :)

I might miss it because it's so tough to search everything for everything but once on the radar it's pretty nice on ERICA.
I'll need to go look through a roll of 85s.

Congrats on your find Jon!
It's nice to see Bob got it listed on CC!

Petespockets55
02-14-2018, 12:09 AM

I might miss it because it's so tough to search everything for everything but once on the radar it's pretty nice on ERICA.

It's nice to see Bob got it listed on CC!

WTG Jon.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Jon is probably the first updated/added to CC in 4-5 years?

makecents
02-14-2018, 03:43 AM

It's nice to see Bob got it listed on CC!Thank you Ed!! It was exciting to find but even more so when Bob took time to look at it and add to Copper Coins!! My first set of pics did not show as well but it you look at my post #7, check the pics of "O" and "N" of ONE. This is when I knew what I had.

makecents
02-14-2018, 03:44 AM
Exactly what I was thinking.
Jon is probably the first updated/added to CC in 4-5 years?Thanks Cliff!! I was really excited to pull it up on Copper Coins!!

jfines69
02-14-2018, 03:55 AM
Cool... Thanks for the update... Bet you're glad you checked the mail!!!

joel
02-14-2018, 05:17 AM
Jon, as I said earlier your hunt for detail is very impressive!! And now it is being rewarded!! Well done and congrats!!

makecents
02-14-2018, 06:29 AM
Cool... Thanks for the update... Bet you're glad you checked the mail!!!Thanks Jim, and yes I'm very glad!!

makecents
02-14-2018, 06:30 AM
Jon, as I said earlier your hunt for detail is very impressive!! And now it is being rewarded!! Well done and congrats!!Thank you sir!! That means a lot coming from you!!