PDA

View Full Version : 1994P light spread to the East at EPU?

VAB2013
02-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Does EPU look like a light spread to the East? I've compared it to other 1994P reverses and this one is different. It somewhat resembles MD to me, but the 2003D DDR came to mind.

enamel7
02-09-2018, 09:42 PM
I think you're on to something Viv!

VAB2013
02-09-2018, 09:50 PM
Thank you enamel! The only other thing I see that is different about this one is the edges at the bottom of the Memorial are strong, but I've noticed that before on other coins too.

GrumpyEd
02-09-2018, 10:24 PM
Interesting Viv.
The EPU sure looks wide.
I do wonder why the dots look big but stayed round, I would have expected them to be eggs if they spread like the EPU.

VAB2013
02-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Interesting Viv.
The EPU sure looks wide.
I do wonder why the dots look big but stayed round, I would have expected them to be eggs if they spread like the EPU.

Thank you Ed! Maybe it's just my tired eyes, but to me the first two dots look flattened on the top.

GrumpyEd
02-09-2018, 10:43 PM
I guess they are but the verticals of the U and P look so wide I'd expect the dot to be more deformed.
I might be tricked because those are normally wider than the other verticals but it still seems the dot should be even wider than it is.

VAB2013
02-09-2018, 10:55 PM
I guess they are but the verticals of the U and P look so wide I'd expect the dot to be more deformed.
I might be tricked because those are normally wider than the other verticals but it still seems the dot should be even wider than it is.

Yes, I see what you are talking about now. Seems to me like it's stronger at the left and decreases toward the right side of EPU.

jfines69
02-10-2018, 04:26 AM
That is interesting... I zoomed in on the dots and I think the light/shadow is giving an illusion of them being round??? They look some what egg shaped and in the same direction as EPU... There also appears to be distortion in the letters including footballs in the P R and B... However I did notice that the west edges of the letters look like slide MD but I am not 100% sure??? Time for a Bob check I think!!!

makecents
02-10-2018, 05:53 AM
Cool find Viv! It may just be me but look and the second "U" in PLURIBUS. It looks like there is separation at the top of the west leg. Yeah, the slide MD is not my friend. I have a hard time with differentiating between it and a doubled die sometimes. Hope you have something here though, that would be cool!

VAB2013
02-10-2018, 09:27 AM
That is interesting... I zoomed in on the dots and I think the light/shadow is giving an illusion of them being round??? They look some what egg shaped and in the same direction as EPU... There also appears to be distortion in the letters including footballs in the P R and B... However I did notice that the west edges of the letters look like slide MD but I am not 100% sure??? Time for a Bob check I think!!!

Thank you Jim! I was wondering about slide MD too but if that is what it is, it's the first time I've seen this many letters affected. PM to Bob sent awhile ago :)

VAB2013
02-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Cool find Viv! It may just be me but look and the second "U" in PLURIBUS. It looks like there is separation at the top of the west leg. Yeah, the slide MD is not my friend. I have a hard time with differentiating between it and a doubled die sometimes. Hope you have something here though, that would be cool!

Thank you Jon. I ran out of acetone and this coin needs it. Seems like acetone removes the crud from notches and separation lines (if they are present) so they show up better. Going to get some acetone today! Looking forward to what Bob says... until then I am thinking slide MD. It would be great if it's not!!

mustbebob
02-10-2018, 09:53 AM
I need to see this one Viv. It most likely is MD but there were some weird things on 1994 cent reverses. Could you send it to me for a look please?

makecents
02-10-2018, 09:57 AM
I'm thinking that's better than a straight up no DDR! At least it will get to make a trip to the MAN! Good luck Viv!!:)

VAB2013
02-10-2018, 10:22 AM
I need to see this one Viv. It most likely is MD but there were some weird things on 1994 cent reverses. Could you send it to me for a look please?

Thank you so much Bob! I am very happy to send this one to you!

VAB2013
02-10-2018, 10:25 AM
I'm thinking that's better than a straight up no DDR! At least it will get to make a trip to the MAN! Good luck Viv!!:)

Thank you very much Jon! You are right, the MAN has spoken! It's so awesome when Bob speaks, he gives all of us so much hope and good news!!!

dinkyblue
02-10-2018, 11:15 AM
I see no notches, and no separation lines, and it appears that the spread to the east sort of goes down instead of being rounded making me think it is slide MD. Hope I'm wrong..........Dan

VAB2013
02-10-2018, 11:49 AM
I see no notches, and no separation lines, and it appears that the spread to the east sort of goes down instead of being rounded making me think it is slide MD. Hope I'm wrong..........Dan

Yeah I agree Dan. I was going to soak it in acetone today and try to see if that would help show if there's any separation lines or notching but I'm just going to send it to Bob as is and if he thinks it needs an acetone bath then he is the Man!