PDA

View Full Version : 1994-D/D RPM

erex01
02-25-2018, 07:08 AM
Here's a 1994-D that I'm just cataloging. It's actually a find from a few years ago that I didn't have in my spreadsheet that I'm updating. Still a neat share, one of those difficult to locate truly RPM Zinc's.

I love the "wood-grain" look to this one...I think it's a keeper...

VAB2013
02-25-2018, 07:20 AM
That is a cool looking coin, and I know you know that a RPM is not possible on a 1994 Lincoln cent. The information below is just so we don't confuse someone who is reading this thread. Thanks!

Re-punched Mint Mark: On Lincoln cent business strikes (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/terminology-list-b/#Business Strike), the mint marks were punched by hand into the Working dies (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/terminology-list-w/#Working Die) up through 1989, and on proof (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/terminology-list-p/#Proof Coin) coinage until 1985. Sometimes a punch contacted the die more than once; sometimes purposefully due to the first punching being unsatisfactory, or sometimes accidentally due to the punch bouncing or skipping during the initial hit. If subsequent hits by the punch did not line up exactly with previous punchings, a secondary mint mark would be created on the die and all the coins it struck. Most of these re-punchings were just slightly rotated from the first, and can be identified by noting split serifs (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/terminology-list-s/#Split Serif). Many publications call these “tilted” rpms, but “rotated” might be a better term, since a punch could also be tilted on an angle of incidence into the die.

erex01
02-25-2018, 07:29 AM
You are correct, I actually did forget about that, but that will probably always be
how I describe it to myself anyway. LOL
Thanks Viv

VAB2013
02-25-2018, 07:36 AM
You are correct, I actually did forget about that, but that will probably always be
how I describe it to myself anyway. LOL
Thanks Viv

It's okay Jim, I know what you mean... just don't want to confuse anyone. Your coin in this thread is an excellent example of how zinc rot can mess with a mint mark!

Petespockets55
02-25-2018, 07:57 AM
Really nice bronze like patina on that one. It reminds me of a medal that has been "bronzed".

erex01
02-25-2018, 11:03 AM
:LOL_Hair:Logical question…Unless the “bronzing” or “coin-doctoring” was done prior to me getting it however, the only thing I did was to soak it in alcohol & distilled H2O right after I found it (4 or 5 years ago). Then yesterday I soaked it in Acetone for about 40 minutes to remove debris from the letters. I was actually a little afraid to soak it, I didn't want it to change. All it did was bring out the luster and color a little more. Having said that, this coin seems to be very photogenic, if I look at it without a loupe, it just looks like another “brown” cent.

I started thinking, “maybe slab this?” but, the coin does NOT look as good as the photograph, It’s actually rather difficult to see unless you have a lot of light. That picture turned out better than the coin, LOL

It's a logical question that I'd have to ask myself too (if someone messed with it). I kind of doubt someone did this on purpose, then dumped it but, anything’s possible. The Mint Mark indicates to me that it probably wasn't something someone would put that much time in and then discard it but maybe?

Yeah, it does have an unnatural look but, I also think the photo turned out unusually well. I do know that I myself did NOT alter it. There are opinions, as to “what’s the difference between artificial toning and natural”, some like artificial toning, Not taking anything away from what people like and don't like but I myself am not a fan....

I was going to say, the more I look at it, the more I like it but then I looked at it again, and hmmmm. Good pic…LOL
:angel:

enamel7
02-25-2018, 11:19 AM
When you say "slabbed" I hope you don't mean by one of the grading companies.

erex01
02-25-2018, 11:58 AM
Didn't think so, LOL

TPring
02-25-2018, 12:17 PM
...I was going to say, the more I look at it, the more I like it but then I looked at it again, and hmmmm. Good pic…LOL
:angel:

Maybe just get your pic printed and framed.:tinysmile_classes_t

jfines69
02-26-2018, 04:23 AM
That is a cool looking coin... The MM area looks to be suffering from zinc rot... Eventually the MM will fall out leaving a crated the size of the grand canyon... Putting it in a slab may delay the process for a while... Still a cool coin to keep just for the color... It does look bronzed!!!